Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Rescue (Adopt) a dog - listings

Old December 11th, 2004, 06:23 PM

Looking for a small, non-shedding dog

I'm looking for a small, non-shedding dog to adopt. I currently have a 3-year-old, 7 lbs. bichon/shih tzu, so it has to be good with others dogs and I'd like it to be around the same size as my dog. If needed, I'd take both dogs to training to make the transition easier. I'm located in Calgary, so it would have to either be near here or be able to be shipped. There are no small children in the house and there's a stay-at-home parent, so the dog would rarely be left alone. If anybody knows of a dog, please let me know! Thanks!
Old December 17th, 2004, 01:53 PM

check out.....

www.petfinder.com

There are hundreds of posted pets looking for loving, affectionate, forever homes. If its not a pup you're looking for, Chances are very great you'll fall in love with at least 100 dogs in your area looking for love.

Best of luck on your search for a new furry edition

"Pets are like chips.....You can never have just one"
2 Medium Haired All Black Cats:
Robert Age 1 1/2
Mango Age 2 1/2
"PIT-BULLS ARE LIKE POTATO CHIPS......YOU CAN NEVER HAVE JUST ONE"
Old January 4th, 2005, 06:41 PM

Thanks for the suggestion! I check Petfinder every day, but unfortunately there aren't many dogs in my area and the only ones that are are pretty big. I'd love to get a big dog, but unfortunately my parents aren't willing to get one and my furbaby is scared of them. I'm sure the right dog will come up soon though, if it's meant to be I'll get it to me . Thank you again!

-Daniela
Old January 4th, 2005, 07:31 PM

Dogs in Calgary

You can check out the following sites for dogs in Calgary looking for homes

www.arf.ab.ca
and
www.calgaryhumane.ca
but there was an ad in the buy and sell online that had this name and number in it for puppies, kittens etc for adoption

Adopt A Pet Center 403 236 1991

Not sure what they have but you can check it out.

You could also check out the paper or check the classifieds at
www.canada.com/calgary

Hope this helps
Old January 4th, 2005, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolatecoffee
I'm looking for a small, non-shedding dog to adopt. I currently have a 3-year-old, 7 lbs. bichon/shih tzu, so it has to be good with others dogs and I'd like it to be around the same size as my dog. If needed, I'd take both dogs to training to make the transition easier. I'm located in Calgary, so it would have to either be near here or be able to be shipped. There are no small children in the house and there's a stay-at-home parent, so the dog would rarely be left alone. If anybody knows of a dog, please let me know! Thanks!
........all dogs shed.........its just a matter of degrees of shedding
Old January 5th, 2005, 02:35 PM

Thanks for the reply, DogueLover! I've checked into all of those places and there aren't any dogs now, but I'll keep an eye on them. Regarding Adopt A Pet Centre, do they have rescue dogs? When I called, they said that it was a retail, not a rescue. I might be mistaking which one I called. Thanks!

I'm aware that all dogs shed, but my dad doesn't have allergies to the breeds that don't shed a lot (shih tzus, bichon frises, etc.). I also know that it's the dander in their hair that people develop allergies too, but for some reason my dad hasn't had any allergies at all to my current furbaby.

Well thanks again for the replies! I'll keep looking!

-Daniela
Old January 27th, 2005, 10:51 AM
Furless/Furred/Feathered

A couple small dogs in rescue

This weeks bargain finder, not sure if it'e the rescue I think it is, but take a look. 2- dach/c0cker and a 5 yr old Terrier 5 lbs.
Good luck in your search.
Old January 27th, 2005, 11:01 AM
Furless/Furred/Feathered

Another one

BICHON ****ZU to good home, 1 year old, white with brown spots. $50 obo Calgary ..geez sorry the obo really bothers me. True there usually aren't many small dogs out this way, hope you save one of these!
Old January 31st, 2005, 01:12 PM

Thanks for the information! However, we actually found one and just got her, she flew up here from Las Vegas with a friend of ours. We were planning to go down and pick her up this weekend, but he was flying up first and the sooner the better . I'll attach a picture of her, she's such a doll!

Now that we got her, there was a 6-month-old bichon/shih tzu at the pound here in Calgary and another 1-year-old bichon/shih tzu in Brooks! The little dogs always get adopted though. Both of them got adopted within a day though, they all go so fast!

Thanks for finding these though, I hope they find good homes. That obo really annoys me too. It's as if an extra $20 is more important than a loving life-long home for their dog. While I was looking, I actually saw somebody willing to TRADE their dog for another one! Some people just should not have pets...
Attached Images

Old February 1st, 2005, 11:20 PM

What a cutie!

What a cutie your little guy is! He will most certainly make your life very happy! About the person you saw advertising to trade their dog, there's a site here in Quebec, and boy, I see this type of ad all the time. It just makes me sick

Have fun with your little furbaby!
Old February 1st, 2005, 11:21 PM

I mean little girl!

Oops... I saw the picture and forgot what I read!!! She is just too adorable!
Old February 3rd, 2005, 04:36 PM

Aww!! What a cutie Daniela!

As for the "Adopt a pet" centre, I know of them They'e right by my parents house in Riverbend....They are a retail pet store, and they sell cross breeds for an INSANE amount of money. I went there the other day to look for food for my mom's cat, and they had a border collie pup. The lady said she was 9 weeks old, but she looked about 7 to me. Then, her litter mate came out of the back room, playing with her and he had a reddish face. he almost looked like he was crossed with a heeler, so I asked her if they were border, heeler crosses, and she said, very matter of factly, "No! They're purebred border collies". Yeah right!! They sell mostly bichon crosses, for like $600.00 for what look like 5 week old pups. Not very good at all!!!!!!!
Old February 4th, 2005, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeler's rock!
Aww!! What a cutie Daniela!
As for the "Adopt a pet" centre...They are a retail pet store, and they sell cross breeds for an INSANE amount of money.
Talk about false advertising, sounds like they should be renaming that place.
Old February 4th, 2005, 07:59 AM

bichon f to good home

Quote:
I am not sure if i am doing this right , but here goes I have a 3 yr old bichon female for adoption to a good loving home and i am in desperate need to find her 1 her name is casey and she is blk and white non spayed I am moving calgary and cannot keep her if you know anyone pls let me know asap please thank you
Old February 4th, 2005, 09:59 AM

Hi bobby35481! Your dog sounds adorable! Unfortunately though, "free to good homes" often don't end up to be a good home at all. You might want to check out this thread: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=6052 and the link on it too: http://www.petrescue.com/library/free-pet.htm. A free dog can end up as bait for fighting dogs, sold to a laboratory, or, in this case, even sold to a puppy mill where I can guarantee you it will not live a happy life. This fate is possible for any breed of dog, but Bichon Frises are an especially popular breed with puppy mills. What you might want to consider doing is spaying her to ensure she won't end up in a puppy mill, then include an adoption fee, which will cover the cost of the spay. That way, you can be sure that whoever adopts her is serious about it, since they paid for the dog, and she won't go to a puppy mill or be bred. Some people actually look through advertisements for "free to good home" pets, so they take them and sell them to a laboratory.

Unfortunately, I can't take her since I just got another one and I'm still trying to establish a peaceful household, another one would be too much right now. Where are you located though? Would you be bringing her to Calgary with you? I'll see if I can find anybody to give this girl a loving home, but if I were you I would definitely get her fixed and include an adoption fee. Giving an intact dog up for free is too risky.
Old February 4th, 2005, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Hi bobby35481! Your dog sounds adorable! Unfortunately though, "free to good homes" often don't end up to be a good home at all. You might want to check out this thread: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=6052 and the link on it too: http://www.petrescue.com/library/free-pet.htm. A free dog can end up as bait for fighting dogs, sold to a laboratory, or, in this case, even sold to a puppy mill where I can guarantee you it will not live a happy life. This fate is possible for any breed of dog, but Bichon Frises are an especially popular breed with puppy mills. What you might want to consider doing is spaying her to ensure she won't end up in a puppy mill, then include an adoption fee, which will cover the cost of the spay. That way, you can be sure that whoever adopts her is serious about it, since they paid for the dog, and she won't go to a puppy mill or be bred. Some people actually look through advertisements for "free to good home" pets, so they take them and sell them to a laboratory.

Unfortunately, I can't take her since I just got another one and I'm still trying to establish a peaceful household, another one would be too much right now. Where are you located though? Would you be bringing her to Calgary with you? I'll see if I can find anybody to give this girl a loving home, but if I were you I would definitely get her fixed and include an adoption fee. Giving an intact dog up for free is too risky.
thank you for your quick reply i will look into the websites u gave me , hopefully someone loving will adopt her , i realy hate to give her up shes like a baby to me but unfortunatly i dont have a choice ,thank you so much for trying to help me i will keep u posted on how it goes
Old February 4th, 2005, 11:13 AM
Senior Contributor

Finding a home for a Bichon is ridiculously easy.

BUT if you care anything about your dog - get her SPAYED FIRST. An intact FREE small purebred is a puppymiller's dream come true.

Otherwise, she is likely to spend her life crammed into a tiny wire cage, living in filth and being bred to death for a puppy miller. If you aren't sure what a puppy mill is, read this link:
Puppymills Canada

Get her spayed and charge an adoption fee of at least 200$. Make up an adoption contract and have the new owners sign it.

Doing these things will help ensure that your dog will be safe and that is the least you owe her.
Old February 4th, 2005, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyRescue
Finding a home for a Bichon is ridiculously easy.

BUT if you care anything about your dog - get her SPAYED FIRST. An intact FREE small purebred is a puppymiller's dream come true.

Otherwise, she is likely to spend her life crammed into a tiny wire cage, living in filth and being bred to death for a puppy miller. If you aren't sure what a puppy mill is, read this link:
Puppymills Canada

Get her spayed and charge an adoption fee of at least 200$. Make up an adoption contract and have the new owners sign it.

Doing these things will help ensure that your dog will be safe and that is the least you owe her.
yes i will b getting her spayed and shots updated and will charge an adoption fee , i dont want her to end up in a puppy mill or an abusive home no animal deseves that . thank u for replying
Old February 4th, 2005, 12:35 PM
Senior Contributor

You're welcome.

Here is a page with all kinds of helpful info on rehoming a pet, including a printable adoption contract.
Rehoming your pet

Many people will want your dog once you start advertising her, so you can be very picky and make sure she goes to a loving and forever home.
Old February 4th, 2005, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyRescue
You're welcome.

Here is a page with all kinds of helpful info on rehoming a pet, including a printable adoption contract.
Rehoming your pet

Many people will want your dog once you start advertising her, so you can be very picky and make sure she goes to a loving and forever home.
thank u so much for the advise , my friend called me and is going to take casey so i will b able to see her whenever i want, such a relief we are both going to pay for her spay and shots , and i found a pound rescue in our area that i will give a donation ty