Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 22nd, 2006, 10:08 AM

some suggestions on feeding 28 day old lab pup pl.

Hi friends

Can anyone l tell me in short what all should I feed my pup lab with ?
He is 28days old.

I gave him boiled egg 1/4th, and milk after 3hrs.

But what worries me is he had watery stools, the moment I brought
him home from the pet shop.

After I fed him, he had semi solid stools. And he seems more active now.
Was biting my shoes
Old January 22nd, 2006, 10:45 AM
Sasha's Den Rescue

Hello Cool Surfer,

can you confirm, your puppy is 28 days old ? If so, I'm sorry to say you are headed for a lot of trouble. This is much too young for a puppy to be away from her mom. Is there any chance he could be taken back to the mother for a few more weeks ?
Old January 22nd, 2006, 10:47 AM
<-----nut ball

Where do you live? You should feed him a good quality puppy food.

Also, just a few tips for the future, buying dogs from pet stores is not a good thing, as most come from puppy mills, which are horrible.

http://www.stoppuppymills.org/

Also, dogs should not leave their mother until they are at least 8 weeks old. Your dog if it is only 28 days old is only 4 weeks old and WAY too young to leave it's mother.

I would go to a pet store and get some good puppy food, both wet and dry, and make a mush to feed your dog. If he/she has runny stools, they could dehydrate VERY fast and die, so I would get some childrens pedialyte, unflavoured, from a drug store and make your dog drink it.
Old January 22nd, 2006, 11:01 AM

I dont think I can take the puppy back to the pet shop.
But I think should be able to take goodcare if guided properly.

I am from India. I am a Doctor MD(internal medicine), maybe this might
help me in puppy care sometime.

I will get the pedialyte fluid tomorrow when I goto my hospital.

Pl tell me about the puppy food. I will get it all tomorrow.Anyway he
has been fed properly with milk n egg.

Any vitamins or clcium that you would suggest. ?

Thanks for raising the alarm... The pup is passing good amount of urine.
I will nevertheless keep the dehydration part in mind actively.

Regards

James
From inability to be let alone; from too much zeal for the new and contempt for what is old; from putting knowledge before wisdom, science before art, and cleverness before common sense; from treating patients as cases, and from making the cure of the disease more grievous than the endurance of the same, Good Lord, deliver us.

Michael Swash, The London Hospital, London E1 1BB
Old January 22nd, 2006, 11:05 AM
Senior Contributor

OMG. The petshop sold you a 4 week old puppy? First of all, that is illegal and they should be reported for this.

Take your puppy to the vet right away, if you haven't.

Quote:
Anyway he
has been fed properly with milk n egg.
If you mean cow's milk, that is NOT proper. Cow's milk will give him diarrhea and consequent dehydration which could quickly kill him. He needs puppy formula, which you can get when you take him to the vet.

Here's a diet you can give. Feed 4 or 5 times a day.

Prepare the puppy mush by placing 2 cups of high quality dry puppy food in a blender with 12.5 oz liquid puppy milk replacer and fill the rest of the blender with hot water. This should be blenderized until the consistency of human infant cereal. (This feeds 6-8 puppies of a medium-sized breed.)

By the fourth week, the mush should be fed 4-5 times a day and the amount of bottle feeding can be slowly reduced. The middle of the night feeding can be reduced and eliminated also. They can be completely on solid food by 6 weeks of age.

Last edited by Lucky Rescue; January 22nd, 2006 at 11:16 AM.
Old January 22nd, 2006, 11:34 AM
<-----nut ball

I was just doing some searches online and prepared pet food in india is hard to find (the amount of prepared pet food sold in the country is only 7% of the actual pet population). Food scraps are the main source of food for pets in most places.

Anyone have a cooked puppy food recipe that might help this individual? Suggest some proportions of meet/veggies that might help? What about come cooked pork or chicken blended in a blender with egg and some soft cooked veggies (carrots, peas) and some rice, all blended into a paste?
Old February 4th, 2006, 07:23 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

Just curious to see how the youngen is doing?
Old February 5th, 2006, 08:37 PM
-

These are good feeding instructions, they are what you need to do with a puppy of this age.

You may be able to raise him healthwise quite well but the problem is with social health. and immune health as mom gives this to them through nursing. They don't begin to build their own until they are about 10wks. The first vaccine should usually be done at 8wks but since your pup is only 4wks you may need to get one at 6wks. This will mean that your pup will need to re-do the first one again at 10wks. Puppies also learn very important social skills from mom and siblings. This is why it is recommended that they stay until 8wks. From 8-12 wks it is an important time for you to begin socializing and since your pup isn't getting the first part you will need to spend a lot more time doing this. Socializing is with everything they are going to see, smell, hear and do in their lifetime. Take your puppy with you wherever and whenever you can and get enrolled into puppy classes. I would also suggest you continue through the other levels as your puppy goes through adolescence.
Because your puppy is so young right now try to keep your pup away from everyone. Don't invite all your friends over to meet pup. Your pup has no protection against anything at this age because he is no longer nursing and too young for vaccines. Also don't take your pup out yet for the same reasons.

Prepare the puppy mush by placing 2 cups of high quality dry puppy food in a blender with 12.5 oz liquid puppy milk replacer and fill the rest of the blender with hot water. This should be blenderized until the consistency of human infant cereal. (This feeds 6-8 puppies of a medium-sized breed.)

By the fourth week, the mush should be fed 4-5 times a day and the amount of bottle feeding can be slowly reduced. The middle of the night feeding can be reduced and eliminated also. They can be completely on solid food by 6 weeks of age.
[/QUOTE]

I hope your pup is doing well.
Old February 6th, 2006, 01:37 AM

Hi guys

Sorry I could not be online here for quite sometime.
Cafee had fallen ill, like many of you had said here.
He had severe diarrhoea and occasional vomits.

Was on IV drip for 2days.. For a moment I thought I would loose him

But then he recovered fast

I have uploaded some pics to my yahoo gallery, if you want to have a look.

http://asia.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/j...line/my_photos

Now he has become very naughty. Can open the door also ... lol

Thanks for your concern.
From inability to be let alone; from too much zeal for the new and contempt for what is old; from putting knowledge before wisdom, science before art, and cleverness before common sense; from treating patients as cases, and from making the cure of the disease more grievous than the endurance of the same, Good Lord, deliver us.

Old February 6th, 2006, 04:48 AM
Slave to the Wigglebum

I'm so glad he is feeling better. Just keep giving that guy lots of love and keep doing what you are doing. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask and if he starts feeling bad again, get him to the vet right away. He's such a little sweetie. Please keep posting pictures and let us know how he is doing. What an angel!
Old February 6th, 2006, 01:16 PM

Yup sure i will keep the pics updated. I will upload them after 6hrs or so, now my net is almost dead.

Thanks for all the good words.

Regards

James

Old February 7th, 2006, 11:31 AM

i noticed u are feeding him pedigree dog food. This is not a good quality dog food. please surf this site or contact technodoll for some good quality foods. Also has your vet given this pup a dewormer yet? I still can't get over that someone sold u a 4wk old pup. Lucky is right you should report this to your spca. I wish you the very best of luck hopefully this puppy will turn out ok.
Old February 7th, 2006, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda900_ca
i noticed u are feeding him pedigree dog food. This is not a good quality dog food. please surf this site or contact technodoll for some good quality foods. Also has your vet given this pup a dewormer yet? I still can't get over that someone sold u a 4wk old pup. Lucky is right you should report this to your spca. I wish you the very best of luck hopefully this puppy will turn out ok.
ya he has been dewormed

He takes milk ( diluted) , apple ( loves it - no diarrhoea)
curd.

And he seems to be growing fast. Everyday it looks as if he has grown
by a few cm's. . .

Old February 18th, 2006, 09:26 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

Just curious to see how Cafee is doing? Do you have any updated pictures?
Old February 19th, 2006, 10:50 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse's mommy
Just curious to see how Cafee is doing? Do you have any updated pictures?

Sure jesse,
Here's are a few, http://asia.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/j...bum?.dir=/72e6

Old February 19th, 2006, 11:04 AM
Senior Contributor

Just wondering...what about the "foul odour" and frequent scratching you asked about help for a few days ago?
Old February 19th, 2006, 11:14 AM
Slave to the Wigglebum

He seems to be doing well. I often wonder how he is because he's such a tiny little thing.

As Lucky said, have you figured out the odor and scratching from a few days ago?