Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old September 30th, 2004, 10:14 PM
Bubba & Cujo

Exclamation Dog has fleas and skin turned brown

I just recently got my dog, Cujo, he is a toy poodle and now is about 2 1/2 months old and 2 weeks after we got him he got fleas and I took him a bath and I started noticing that his skin along his spine turned brown. Is it because of the flea shampoo that I use on him? Also what can I do about the fleas and getting him groomed, the vet said he is too young to get groomed why is that? Someone please reply ASAP, I need to know whats wrong with my dog.
Old September 30th, 2004, 10:22 PM

I recently went through that experience. In my situation the brown skin was only a reaction to the flea bites. After a week or so flea free the brown skin turned into scabs and then eventually flaked off. This caused a big mess so I continued with a good brush and then baths 3 times a week. While bathing I scrubbed the area well enough to release anything loose but be careful not to irritate the skin. Now a month later her skin is back to normal.

I suggest calling your vet though just in case.
Old September 30th, 2004, 10:35 PM
Bubba & Cujo

I'm worried...because this is a small dog. Am I able to give my dog a bath even though the groomers can not shower and clean my dog? Thanks for the advice, I'll take him to the vet tomorrow to see whats wrong...Also his hair is falling out along the brown skin. WHATS HAPPENING!!
Old September 30th, 2004, 11:31 PM
banned user

I love that... a toy poodle named CUJO
Old October 1st, 2004, 12:46 PM
Senior Contributor

I don't know the answer re his skin, but I can answer some grooming questions. He probably just needs to have his feet, tail, and face clipped, leaving the rest fluffy. I've always groomed Den-Den myself. I started him getting used to the clippers when he was 8wks. I didn't clip much, but just turned the clippers on and off, letting him smell and check them out. It'll be helpful if you get him used to being brushed and play with and massage his little feet to accustom him to being handled. Love poodles! Would love to see a photo of Cujo!
Old October 1st, 2004, 12:57 PM
Senior Contributor

I would suggest you give him a bath with avery mild shampoo that has essential oil of eucalyptus which fleas hate. But I would use a natural unscented shampoo from the health food store for dogs, humans shampoo has a different ph level Then put a little of the essential oil in, always rinse very well and make sure all the shampoo is out. Flea shampoo is to harsh for so young a pup.
Old October 1st, 2004, 01:27 PM

My dog an italian greyhound didn't have fleas but had some kind of skin bacteria, i forget what it was called, but anway the skin along her spin an on her tail turned black and the hair fell out. The antibiotics the vet gave me worked well to get rid of the bacteria but for some reason 4 months later her skin is still black and now there is black hair growing just along her spine and tail. I know that sounds weird, and I don't know if it's from the bacteria or if she is just like that. It strange because she is all light fawn and white with just those black spots. anyway it sounds almost like that, except for the fleas. I forgot to mention that the vet has looked at it and doesn't know why it's like that but since it's not bothering her and the vet can't find anything wrong to just leave it alone.
Old October 1st, 2004, 02:20 PM
Senior Contributor

I've always used Flea-Flea Bar Soap to bathe Den-Den and Puss-Puss. I used to be able to buy it at a local pet&garden store that went out of business years ago. I finally started ordering it on-line. It's great! All natural, mild, good for dogs/cats, puppies/kittens. Smells good too. It's the only product we use and have never had a flea problem since we started using it.
Old October 1st, 2004, 05:44 PM
Bubba & Cujo

Thanks

Thanks for all those replies, it really helped although I could not make it to the vet today =[ So, I just relied on using this as a help although going to the vet is better help, I will try and see the vet ASAP but for now I'm trying to cut off all the ugly hairs from Cujo and bathing him but I can't find any good shampoos, is it possible for anybody to give me not-too-strong shampoo to rid fleas and also leaving him smelling good! I would kindly appreciate it. I appreciate all of you, in helping with the problems with my puppy. I hope to see the vet and tell you all the good and bad sides.

-Heres a picture of Cujo
Old October 1st, 2004, 10:38 PM

What a sweet pup. Heres some (((((((healthy healing vibes)))))))).