Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 19th, 2009, 08:51 PM

Schnauzer Collapsed

Hello members,

I am new to these boards but am a loving pet owner who is in need of some help. I have a 7 year old standard size Shnauzer named Zeus who is very active, and in good health. He weighs 28lbs and the only problem he seems to have is anxiety. He's a chronic barker, but very loyal and protective.

Here's a quick synopsis of what happened. Yesterdy we had some of the nicest weather we've had in months, Zeus was out in the yard, playing ball and doing the things dogs do. He spent the day(5 hours) outside with us and the temperature was about 25 celsius. at around 5 o'clock my dad statrted throwing the ball aound in the yard with him. After chasing it for about 15 minutes of play, my dad threw the ball and Zeus went after it. He stopped half way, came back to my Dad and laid down.

My dad brought him back in the house, figuring he was hot and tired. After about 10 minutes, we noticed that something was wrong. He drank some water, but not much. He then laid down by his water dish and closed his eyes. I picked him up and he was dead weight. I told my dad to get the keys and off we went to the emergency animal clininc. On the car ride there Zeus seemed to be lapsing in and out of consciousness. His mouth was closed the whole time and every now and ten he'd open his eyes. He was limp. We also had the AC blasting the vents directed at his groin. Zeus is usually anxious on car rides, this time nothing. Once we got to the hospital they hooked him up to a saline drip and oxygen. He was still limp but breathing. The vet said he was lacking color in his gums, which slowy returned. They kept him on O2 for about 30 minutes and the IV for the length of his stay. The vet said his temperature was fine, blood work fine and the results of the EKG and Doppler were also fine. They also took a lung and stomach x-ray, both of which were also fine. The doctor told us that they would monitor his condition for several hours and to come back when they called. By the time we left Zeus was conscious and seemed to be getting back to his normal state. He was trying to stand on his own and was whinning when we left. Zeus stayed for around 8 hours and we picked him up at around 1am. Once he got home he ate a bowl of wet food (Ceasars) and drank a bunch of water.

The vet told us that he could have Sick Sinus Syndrome which is proprietary to Schnauzers in his age group. We returned to the vet today to have the IV line removed. They took his temperature and said he was fine, in addition the vet told us to avoid exerting him and to avoid stressful situations.

Today he's been sleeping way more than average and has shown some signs of activity, he's walked around the house drank, went to relieve himself outside etc etc. At one point he woke up and walked around then returned to his pillow where he seemed a little confused and a little weak.

Now, he's resting and relaxing, but again not acting like his usual energetic self. I don't think he's drank enough water and wish he'd get some more in him. His appetite isn't like it usually is either. I know that what ever happened to him yesterday took it's toll, but we weren't given any solid answers at the vet. I appreciate evrything they did for him, honestly I don't think he'd be alive if it wasn't for them.

Has anybody experienced anything like this before? Was it heast stroke, heat exhaustion, dehydration or something else. The vet said no to those ailments.

If anybody has any advice, tips to offer or opinios, please let me know.

Thanks,

Marc
Old April 19th, 2009, 09:12 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

If he doesn't show any improvement i would take him to your regular vet and see what they have to say.sending Zeus recovers quickly.