Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old January 6th, 2009, 08:29 PM

Smile What High School Courses Are Needed To Get Into A Vet Tech School?

Im going into gr.9 in the fall and we are choosing are courses for next year soon and i would like to be a vet tech so i was wondering what courses you need to get into a vet tech school, So i can take those courses.
Old January 6th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Hey welcome aboard! Maybe this link to one of the local Colleges will help you out. I am not sure where you are located but here is a link to a well known location:

http://www.ovc.uoguelph.ca/

Do you have some pets now? We'd love to hear about them!

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old January 6th, 2009, 08:35 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

You can't go wrong if you focus on the sciences and math, Jasper. The life sciences would be particularly useful--Biology, Chemistry, and even Physics are all useful in the health fields.

Math is important because as a vet tech you'll be dealing with measurements, dosages determined by body weight, etc...

If you want to know specifically what courses would be the most advantageous to you, contact a tech school and ask.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 6th, 2009, 08:41 PM

Smile

Thanks i live around the London ares and Cindy have 1 female demestic long haired cat named Pounce who is about 6 years old, a female demestic short haired kitten named Snicker who is about 7 months old and a male demestic short haired kitten named Jasper who is just mine. Snickers is my sisters and Pounce is my parents. Thanks for your help

Last edited by Jasper24; January 6th, 2009 at 08:42 PM. Reason: wrong name
Old January 6th, 2009, 09:06 PM

I have been spending the last year upgrading to become a Speech Pathologist - biology, chemistry, english, and principals math. After the emergency vet on call refusing to see my pup when she needed surgery I have though alot about becomng a vet aswell, but I'm not sure I could deal with the sad parts. So I was thinking, with 52.5 acres of land, about opening a small rescue shelter. Any idea's how one goes about that? Msgs would be appreicated as I'm still new to this site and might not find my way back to this post, but I will do my best.
Old January 6th, 2009, 10:24 PM
Mom of Cody and Nova

I went to school for vet tech The main courses I needed were english, chemistry, biology, and math. The best thing to do is to look online for the schools that offer the veterinarian technician program, and see what the requirements are.

This is what Seneca says, but it may vary depending on the school.

* Ontario Secondary School Diploma with a majority of senior credits at the College Preparation (C), University Preparation (U) or University/College Preparation (M) level or Mature Student Status (age 19 or older).
* Grade 12 English: ENG4(C) or ENG4(U).
* Grade 11 Biology (C) or (U).
* Grade 12 Chemistry (C) or (U).
* Grade 12 Mathematics: (C) or (U) or Grade 11 Mathematics (U) or (M).

Tags
animals, cats, dogs, vet tech school