Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old October 9th, 2011, 11:25 PM

Food suggestions for preventing UTI/Crystals

Our cat may have a UTI or crystals - they think crystals, but we won't know for 4-5 days.

I need to know what kind of food will be good for her. The vet says Purina Urinary food, but it's ingredients are HORRENDOUS. We feed our cats Natural Balance Salmon & Pea dry food. Is there a grain free natural dry food out there that will help prevent crystals/stones forming as well as prevent UTI's? I realize cranberries and blueberries are good ingredients to look for, but would that be enough to prevent the stones?

Please advise...
Old October 10th, 2011, 10:45 AM
Pro Poop Scooper!

Right now I'm using the Hills Urinary SO canned. I must admit I wasn't too impressed but Coco has crystals and I read the ingredients and they don't seem too bad. So I then thought nobody's gonna want to eat this but everybody really likes it and since I have 4 cats, it was easier just to let everyone have it then trying to feed Coco separately. Anyway they've been all eating it for about 3 weeks and Coco is feeling better, he was starting to pee where he shouldn't and just generally looked miserable. Now he's much more active and using the litter box like he should. It's also a bit cheaper per can than say Wellness and I get a discount for a case. They're still getting regular crunchies, right now I'm tryiing them on GO crunchies. I also changed our kitty litter to Dr. Elsey's litter to prevent urinary problems, it's silica based but works very well although I may change to the litter for long haied cats.
Old October 10th, 2011, 11:09 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Welcome! I would ditch the dry completely its horrible for cats anyway. I think you should be looking for a wet food that is low in phosphorus?? we have some excellent folks on here with a ton of food knowledge so hopefully one will come along soon with some more advice....
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old October 10th, 2011, 11:26 AM
Senior Contributor

Hi Cass20, Winston is right, you've got to stop feeding kibble. There is no such thing as a good dry food for cats, and especially not anything out of a vet's office. Dry food CAUSES urinary tract problems, so it's really important that any cat heading down that path be switched over to an all wet food diet as soon as possible. Read this excellent article on why that is: http://www.catinfo.org/?link=urinarytracthealth

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler