Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 14th, 2010, 03:47 PM

How soon

My dog Wolf has been diagnosed with bladder cancer and the tumor can't be removed. This is breaking my heart he is 91/2 years old and one of the smartest most lovable dogs. He is a Blue Heeler/Shep cross.
He is under palliative care with us and so far seems to be gaining weight, but we know that could change quickly and we have to accept that and know we are lucky to have the extra time with him.
My question is I will defiantly get another puppy but how soon is my question. My husband works shift and I am alone a lot, I have tons of time to spend with a new puppy, but I just do not know when to do this. I even thought about now to give Wolf some fun in his latter days, but I really don't think that is a good idea.
I know I could not stand not having a dog, they make your life so much fuller and the love they show makes your days to matter how bad seems so much lighter. I will add I am having health problems of my own and Wolf has been with me through it all.
So if you can make out this mess I just typed thanks, I look forward to your help.
1 Dog, Lady
1 Leopard Gecko, Troy
1 Gargole Gecko, Okie
3 snakes, Chalice, Luka,Nyoka
Old August 14th, 2010, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judith22 View Post
My dog Wolf has been diagnosed with bladder cancer and the tumor can't be removed. This is breaking my heart he is 91/2 years old and one of the smartest most lovable dogs. He is a Blue Heeler/Shep cross.
He is under palliative care with us and so far seems to be gaining weight, but we know that could change quickly and we have to accept that and know we are lucky to have the extra time with him.
My question is I will defiantly get another puppy but how soon is my question. My husband works shift and I am alone a lot, I have tons of time to spend with a new puppy, but I just do not know when to do this. I even thought about now to give Wolf some fun in his latter days, but I really don't think that is a good idea.
I know I could not stand not having a dog, they make your life so much fuller and the love they show makes your days to matter how bad seems so much lighter. I will add I am having health problems of my own and Wolf has been with me through it all.
So if you can make out this mess I just typed thanks, I look forward to your help.
Hi Judith22,

First of all, so sorry to hear about Wolf.

I think if it were me in this situation, I would just focus on spending however much time you have left with Wolf (it could be days, months, maybe even longer), and worry about getting a pup after he has passed on. I am not all that familiar with cancer in dogs, but I have heard of some that their dog was diagnosed and they still had much more time with them than expected.

It's important too you have ample time to grieve once Wolf does pass on... how long will that be? There is no magical number set in stone. Some people go through the grieving process for a pet and are able to accept another fur butt into their home in a short period of time, others it takes longer. It depends on the person, the situation, the pet, etc. etc.

Keep in mind too, that if you are planning on getting a pup from a reputable breeder, or a shelter , it may take some time before the perfect puppy comes along. A reputable breeder does not have litters available 24/7, and you could be waiting months and months before a litter is available. Most reputable breeders have waiting lists before the pups are even born. I know when SO and I were looking into American Bulldogs before we adopted Diesel, it was going to be at least 8 months before their next planned litter was born, and then another 2 months after that before we could bring the puppy home. If you are looking into a shelter (which I highly recommend ), while there are certainly many, many dogs without homes available, if you are looking for a particular breed, sex, age, etc. it could be some time before the right dog comes along (But, it's so worth it!). You may be looking and checking in with your local shelters, SPCA, humane society etc. for quite some time before the right one comes up.

I agree that Wolf is likely going through a lot right now and adding a puppy would not be a wise move at this point. I think it would cause alot of stress on him. Adding another member to your pack is always stressful to the other dogs already in the home, and especially with his health being what it is, I think it would cause a fair amount of undue stress on him, and could make his condition even worsen quicker. I can understand being excited to add a pup into your family and home, but I would wait this one out for awhile. At least wait until Wolf has passed away, you have had a chance to grieve, then start looking.

I've always loved having dogs in my life too, but I think there is a right time for everything It was about 6 months after my dog passed away I had as a child growing up before I got "Sassy". But that was just my family, it may be longer for some others, and shorter for others.

Sorry to hear about your health problems as well I don't know any of the details, but this may be another consideration when choosing a pup, depending on your health issues. For ex. if you are unable to do a lot of physical exercise or don't have much energy, you may not want a Husky, Lab, or another high energy breed (Although certainly individuals can vary in a breed and there is no guarantee eitheir way!).

I hope you get many more years with Wolf. He sounds like such a sweetie.

Cheers,

Cassie

"Many of the Earth's habitats, animals, plants, insects, and even micro-organisms that we know as rare may not be known at all by future generations. We have the capability, and the responsibility. We must act before it is too late." - Dalai Lama
Old August 19th, 2010, 01:31 AM

Thanks so very much for your help, it alwasy makes you feel better to know that your not alone in how you feel.
1 Dog, Lady
1 Leopard Gecko, Troy
1 Gargole Gecko, Okie
Old August 19th, 2010, 08:14 AM
Senior Contributor

I think Cassiek makes some very good points and I agree with not getting another dog. I think it could have the opposite effect on Wolf and make him depressed. Dogs are very intuitive and he may know he is sick and adding a puppy may not be a good thing for him and ultimately for you. I think you need to spend as much time as possible with Wolf he sounds pretty great. When my boy Bud passed away I was sure it would be a while till I could get a dog but the silence was deafening and I missed so much about having a dog. I saw Clark on here and he needed a new home and damn he was so cute. I ended up driving to Montreal one morning picking him up and driving back. I think everything happens for a reason because at the time there were no Mastiffs for adoption I think Clark was meant to come to me. I still miss Bud everyday he was that special dog that could never be replaced. Just as I am sure Wolf is to you. Enjoy your time with your boy you will never regret that.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old August 19th, 2010, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judith22 View Post
Thanks so very much for your help, it alwasy makes you feel better to know that your not alone in how you feel.
Keep us posted how Wolf does I hope you get much more time with your beloved companion.

And I do know how you feel. I remember when my last pooch before Sassy became quite ill. He passed away quite suddenly, and we were so distraught, we felt like we could never bring another dog in the home. But, then Sassy came into our lives about 6 months later, and it was the perfect timing. We had adequate time to grieve for Scamper, but we happily accepted another dog into the home, and it actually helped somewhat with the grieving process.

But for now, I would just enjoy the time you have with your Wolf.

"Many of the Earth's habitats, animals, plants, insects, and even micro-organisms that we know as rare may not be known at all by future generations. We have the capability, and the responsibility. We must act before it is too late." - Dalai Lama
Old August 19th, 2010, 09:02 PM
You can call me DOG!

Good points mastifflover and cassiek.

When our Bailey passed away, it was 6 months before we brought Mollie into our lives. For the past 10 years, we've had a two dog family and have enjoyed every minute of their companionship.

Only you will know when the time is right to bring another dog into your life but in the meantime, cherish every moment you have with Wolf.

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old August 19th, 2010, 10:52 PM

Judith, I am so sorry you got a bladder cancer diagnosis for your sweet Wolf. The best thing is to treasure each wonderful day. My rescue Scottie was diagnosed with a bladder polyp. We did the surgery and all seemed successful. The growth was precancerous, but the bladder wall didn't heal well. My dog was started on a chemo-type medication that destroyed her kidneys and I lost my baby girl. Know that surgery isn't always the best option. We all try to do the best we can. I did speak to another dog owner who's pup had bladder cancer and he was going strong several years after diagnosis. I just want you to know you aren't alone in this. I know how hard it is. for Wolf and that you will enjoy and cherish quality time together.

After my girl passed, we got our current dog about 3 months later. We had an older, deaf dog and he was really missing his friend. The new dog lifted his spirits so much in his final months. It was odd, we lost our Tipper on the first day of autumn, our Cassidy came to us on the last day of autumn; it was like a mourning period.

Cassidy was an adult dog who came from a breeder. She didn't turn out to be perfect confirmation and was placed with us. Our senior passed last September. We've been on the breeder's waiting list for a pup since before Christmas. The pup should come home in late September . It will be a little over a year since we lost our old guy. There isn't really a set time. No new dog will ever replace the old dog, but the love you share with Wolf, allows your heart to grow and welcome another. I used this quote on my Mac's memorial cards:

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Author Unknown.

When to bring a new dog into your family is very personal. You will know. Having had seriously and terminally ill dogs, I can say I couldn't introduce a new dog into the family at this time. Wolf needs you. And you will understand this later--you need Wolf. May you both be blessed with the gifts of love and time. Remember, the sunset can be the most beautiful time of the day....
Old August 29th, 2010, 01:24 AM

Thank you all for all your words of comfort and advice, Wolf is still going strong. I thank God every day, and I thank him for people like you.
1 Dog, Lady
1 Leopard Gecko, Troy
1 Gargole Gecko, Okie
Old August 29th, 2010, 04:19 AM
Senior Contributor

Sounds as if you are lucky, Judith22, to get a diagnosis before it's too late. I could not see a thing wrong with one of my cattle dogs(aka blue heeler) until the very day she suddenly looked very ill. Bladder cancer again, and so bad the vet put her down. The breed is very prone to cancers of all sorts, like any animal is that is born white. I agree with all those who suggest you don't get a pup yet. Cherish every day with Wolf, a new pup will take attention away from him and that isn't fair to him, I think you'd regret it later. I'm in the same sort of situation really. Only two 14 year old heelers left here, and they have health problems now , and I want a pup, but it's just not going to happen till later.
Old September 2nd, 2010, 07:51 PM

How's Wolf doing? I think it all depends on the person. When I was losing my cat, I was reading "Chicken Soup for the Soul - Loving Our Cats" for some support (they have another one for dogs). Anyway, I remember somewhere in the book it said that some people can accept a new pet sooner than others, so it is based on the individual. Just think through what you want from a new pet. It should be the begining of a new chapter in life, not a replacement. But at the same time, I agree with everyone, it might not be a good idea to bring a new one in at this moment, it will stress out Wolf and you need each other. Good luck!