Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 23rd, 2010, 10:58 AM

Sad, frustrated and a vent---Neighbor's outside kitty

I feel so down today. My neighbors have the most beautiful long-haired outside cat. He is a love bug and everyone in the neighborhood loves him. He is about 7 years old. Now the key here is "outside cat".

Last night, we were walking our dog. It hit 99 degrees yesterday, so we were trying to get our girl out after it cooled some. A neighbor down our street came to me and asked if I knew whose owned "Kitty", because Kitty was sick. This neighbor is like us, kind, caring and loves animals. Her house was one that Kitty enjoyed spending time (there are 3 main houses where Kitty hangs out). Kitty was in the drive way, lethargic, breathing heavily with his mouth open. He had obvious fluid in the abdomen. His pink nose was nearly white. We both knew this was a dire, emergency situation. My neighbor asked if I would go with her to the owner's house (once I told her where the cat lived). We brought the owner to the cat and kept saying how sick he seemed and how worried we were. I made sure to tell about the emergency vet clinics in the area--stressing that Kitty seemed to be in distress and needed help. My neighbor took Kitty and put him in the garage and said she'd get him to the vet "tomorrow" after she took family to the airport.

My neighbors aren't horrible people, but they just don't put a priority on pets. I wish everyone could value these sweet, gentle creatures the way I do; the way I know that you folks do. It hurts so much and it isn't my cat. But he was my friend. I know he won't pull through this. I know cats get in really bad shape before we know they are sick. I know the family won't spend the money or time to help him (if possible). It is sad, but I'm really hoping they will euthanize him so he won't suffer--if he didn't pass last night. It is such a helpless feeling. I can't take a neighbor's pet to the ER and spend thousands. I can't euthanize my neighbor's cat.

I really believe that cats should be inside, but know that there are farm situations, etc. that let it be more acceptable for cats to be out--this isn't one of those cases. I just feel that this sweet heart could have lead a long life of luxury if he had been inside where he could be treasured and cherished. I'm just feel sad and helpless. I can't have a cat, so I really enjoyed this cat's company. for the sweet kitty I called "Fuzzy Tail".

Thanks, and sorry. I can't help crying about this. I knew you folks would understand. I just feel .
Old June 23rd, 2010, 11:03 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

It's hard to read without choking up. People (the majority of pet lovers I mean) would not treat their dogs like this but they seem to feel it's acceptable for cats. It pisses me off big time to read stories like this but we do. All the time.
I pray the kitty passed quickly or the human at least had the decency to take him to the vet to be euthanized. Poor sweetie.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old June 23rd, 2010, 11:07 AM
Senior Contributor

Very disturbing indeed and I am so sorry that you are feeling what the owners SHOULD be feeling right now.

The cat will pass and life will go on for those people. Remember one thing however, this misdeed does not go unnoticed...

to you ScottieDog. I am sorry.
Old June 23rd, 2010, 11:23 AM
Senior Contributor

Call your local humane society and make a report. They can go out and issue an order that they have to take their cat to a vet.
Old June 23rd, 2010, 11:33 AM
Mickey, my angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahGrey View Post
Call your local humane society and make a report. They can go out and issue an order that they have to take their cat to a vet.
I agree. Hopefully the humane society in your area will act very quickly.

Also, I know there is just so much we can do, but as a concerned neighbour who knew the cat was very ill, it would not be out of line to knock on their door to enquire how the kitty is doing today. If there is reason to believe that they have still not sought treatment for the kitty then call the humane society immediately. That is what I would do.
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009
Old June 23rd, 2010, 11:42 AM
Senior Contributor

I ask the age old question we have all asked, "why do people like this even get a pet?" I know many see cats as the kind of pet that can practically take care of themselves.

That poor sweet little creature. If he passed, I hope he did not suffer long.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old June 23rd, 2010, 02:17 PM

I did talk to my neighbor for an update on Kitty. More ...

Kitty was still alive this morning and was going to the vet. A family member who didn't know Kitty was ill, thought he wanted to go outside and opened the door for him. Kitty is now sick and missing.

I've searched my property and will be alerting neighbors. I fear he has wandered off to die. Why won't people use the vet ERs? I can sort of understand if this was a rural area without any afterhours facilities, but we have several. My neighbor is concerned, but her husband does not like cats and would not "let" them take the cat to the ER (regular vet is OK). Sorry, but I would not ask, but I'm an independent-minded cuss.

We aren't allowed to let our dogs wander free and unattended, but it is OK for cats? Why do cats have a lesser perceived "worth"? Why didn't they take the cat to the damn vet? I thought we were doing the right thing letting the owners know he was sick. Why do I assume that others will do the right thing because I would? I could have just walked by--it isn't my cat. But I'm the one who is torn up because even though it isn't my cat, it is a precious living creature that needs help.

We have lots of controversy over our county's animal control--we had an officer shoot a non-vicious pit that was running away from him because he had spent too much time chasing it and it was a pit. Weapon discharged in a neighborhood with children present.

This whole situation makes me feel ill. Poor Kitty.... Thanks for listening. I do fear the worst for my kitty friend. I'm going to go walk the neighborhood. It is 100 degrees out right now.
Old June 23rd, 2010, 02:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Is your county animal control department separate from your humane society? In the states alot are..and their animal control department do not have animal cruelty investigators. The humane society does.

Just from their comment of oh i'll talk him tomorrow, should have been a red flag. If you find the cat, take him to a vet. Let them know that you are not the owner of this animal, yet this animal has been in distress for x number of days, yet the owners are doing nothing about it. The vet odds are will contact the humane society.
Old June 23rd, 2010, 02:25 PM
Mickey, my angel

I am so very sorry. I was hoping to hear some good news.

that kitty is found before it is too late.

Keep us posted. You are doing all you can.
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton

Old June 23rd, 2010, 02:27 PM
Senior Contributor

looks like we posted at the same time lol
Old June 23rd, 2010, 03:50 PM

Kitty is at the vet. I don't know the outcome, but Kitty is getting care. I went to update my kind neighbor down the street and saw Kitty under a tree in her yard. We talked for a couple of minutes and I asked her to come with me to the neighbor's to return the cat. Kitty's color was a little better, but he still seemed to have trouble breathing and seemed to still have fluid in the abdomen. I picked up Kitty and carried him down the street and handed him to the neighbor. I talked to Kitty's owner and saw him in the carrier as she was taking him to the vet.

I have done what I can. I don't know the outcome, but I know if Kitty is suffering the owner will do the right thing for him. Thank you all for your care and concern--it is appreciated. I know you will understand my level of concern for an animal that isn't mine. Most people would tell me to tend to my own business.
Old June 23rd, 2010, 03:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieDog View Post
Kitty is at the vet.
Oh thank god!!!!! I was scared to open this post again, and I'm so relieved to read this. to you for helping this poor cat out. that he gets the help he needs and makes a full recovery from whatever is ailing him, or at the very least is relieved of his suffering.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old June 23rd, 2010, 04:07 PM
Senior Contributor

ScottiDog,I do understand how you feel,neglectful owners have caused me to react more than once.
I hope this kitty will be ok,if not,at least humanely sent to the Bridge.
Looking at my boys(cats)snoozing contently,I will never understand how people do not see cats as the wonderful little family-members they are
Old June 23rd, 2010, 04:11 PM
Senior Contributor

great news
Old June 23rd, 2010, 04:17 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieDog View Post
We aren't allowed to let our dogs wander free and unattended, but it is OK for cats? Why do cats have a lesser perceived "worth"?
Do you know how many times I have asked that exact same question? Most of the time in here!

Thank you for being this kitty's angel. No matter what the outcome you helped facilitate it

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old June 23rd, 2010, 04:29 PM
Mickey, my angel

Scottydog, thank you for helping to ensure that Kitty got the help he needed.

Lets hope now for a good outcome for Kitty. Cats can be very resilient and, whatever is wrong, it may very well be something treatable. Hopefully if it is, the owners will be willing to spend what is necessary to help him to get better. That part is out of your hands.

Please keep us updated when you learn more and again, thank you.

Old June 23rd, 2010, 04:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Do you know how many times I have asked that exact same question? Most of the time in here!

Thank you for being this kitty's angel. No matter what the outcome you helped facilitate it

I hope kitty makes it and thanks to you. I am amazed by the amount of people that let there cats run free. I live in downtown TO and there are so many just running around do the owners just not care. I would never let my dog run loose. I am so glad the cat owners here love there kittys and don't let them run free. Thank you
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old June 23rd, 2010, 06:48 PM

My Fuzzy friend has crossed the Rainbow Bridge. His owners had him put to sleep at the vet. He had severe heart failure and fluid around his heart and lungs. I feel bad that my actions caused him to be PTS, but he isn't suffering and that is what is important. The family did not realize how bad his condition was and is shocked by his loss. Kitties are fragile and it is hard to monitor an outside kitty's health. I do think this problem came on suddenly because there were other families watching out for the big boy.

God speed sweet Fuzzy Tail, my kitty friend. Have fun patting butterflies at the Rainbow Bridge. I will miss you.
Old June 23rd, 2010, 07:34 PM
Kitty pimp

do you think they learned a lesson from this I
Old June 23rd, 2010, 07:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Kitty

You had many wonderful friends, and your charming personality did not go unnoticed. Fly free, fuzzy little dude.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old June 23rd, 2010, 07:56 PM
Mickey, my angel

We had all hoped for a better outcome but never doubt that you did the right thing. With congestive heart failure his lungs would have continued to fill up with fluid and he would have died a very painful death gasping for his last breath, probably all alone out there somewhere.

Thank you for helping to make it possible for him to be relieved of his suffering before it became too great.

Run free, sweet Fuzzy Tail

You were loved by many!

Last edited by mikischo; June 23rd, 2010 at 08:22 PM.
Old June 23rd, 2010, 09:21 PM
150% PRO S/N

sweet Fuzzy Tail

Old June 23rd, 2010, 09:55 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

This whole tale is so sad, ScottieDog. But it certainly wasn't your fault that it ended the way it did! Thank you for being an angel when it counted!

Fuzzy Tail

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 24th, 2010, 06:54 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Oh how sad , but the kitty is in a better place now
Fuzzy Tail

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old June 24th, 2010, 07:21 AM
Senior Contributor

Fuzzy was probably luckier than many outdoor cats,he had people who cared,like you.
I these people do not get another cat.
Fuzzy-boy
Old June 24th, 2010, 07:22 AM
Senior Contributor

How very very sad ScottieDog. Please do not feel any guilt about this whatsoever. At least the cat is not suffering a horrible death. Had you not seen him in this condition, he would have died terribly.

God speed little one. You had an Angel looking out for you.....and that would be ScottieDog. Bless your heart.
Old June 24th, 2010, 07:50 AM
Senior Contributor

I'm so sorry this little angel didn't make it, but don't feel guilty. As many have already said, your concern most likely spared him a long drawn out painful death. At least he is finally at rest.

Little one. May your life over the bridge be filled with more joy than your time here.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old June 24th, 2010, 07:58 AM
Senior Contributor

RIP kitty. I am thinking that they cat had servrere heat stock, which caused his body/heart to shut down. Heat stoke can be very fatal to an animal in a extremely short time. I hope these owners do not get another cat. But they will.
Old June 24th, 2010, 11:50 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh I'm so sad to read this. You need to give yourself a break...you didn't do ANYTHING to cause the death of that poor baby. He would have suffered in the heat and died a long laborious death without you.
Old June 25th, 2010, 12:36 PM

Thank you all. I really do not think the cat was in serious condition for a long time. He had three other "families" that watched out for him. I think any of us would have noticed if he had shown signs earlier. I keep telling myself that at least.

He was a happy cat. You could tell that. His real family did provide him with the basics--food, shelter, basic medical care (he was neutered, tattooed, brushed, no fleas). He just sought affection from others. I think he knew he was loved. This isn't saying that he wouldn't have been a happy inside cat if given that chance from his kitten days.

Any lessons learned? No, not a one. I will still care too much. I will still butt my nose in where it maybe shouldn't be. And Jim, I do know what you mean. I don't think there will be any changes in behavior. Know that where I live this is common treatment for outdoor cats--and there are many. At least I know I did make a small difference in one special kitty's life.

I thank you all. I know my little friend is at peace. And I know that you all understand.