Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old February 8th, 2013, 11:08 PM

New French Bulldog Owner

Hello everyone,

I just recently bought a French Bulldog who is 4 months old. Tonight is my second night of having him and he seems to be doing a lot better than he did the previous night. I had a Lasa Apso and poodle mix who passed away last April... Took me a little bit of time to get myself another one, but I figured I was ready.

He's been taken to the vet right after I purchased him from the breeder. Will be going back to have a couple more shots done in a weeks time. I do have a question though, my poor little guy has a loose/ soft stool. Not the normal "clump" that you expect from a dog. I did change his food to something a lot healthier. My vet tells me not to worry right now as he is playful, eating, drinking, peeing, and pooping with nice naps in between. Any thoughts?
Old February 9th, 2013, 06:46 AM

My guess would be it's the stress and adjustment of a new house, along with the new food. Just make sure you're not overfeeding the new food and give him time to settle into his new home

That said, if it doesn't clear up - you may want to get a stool sample tested just to rule out anything medical.
Old February 9th, 2013, 10:51 AM
Senior Contributor

Welcome to the board Cosmo and boy do I hear you! Congratulations on your new puppy. I also just recently brought home two new puppies, although my two are younger, and they both have soft stools. Our vet agree's with LL and myself that it's likely stress and diet related right now. But as LL said, if it doesn't clear up we'll be back to the vet. I actually already have the stool sample tester. Good luck to you with the new puppy. What's his name and do you have pics?? Sorry to hear you lost your other pup, we lost one of ours about a year and a half ago also. It's never easy.
Old February 9th, 2013, 12:26 PM

I too recently got a new puppy, and for the first little while the poop was soft, but I had also changed his diet... it wasn't really loose but just soft, now is bulky and normal.

Hope we can see some pics soon

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
Old February 9th, 2013, 02:20 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Welcome to the board, Cosmo. No advice about the loose stool from me--everyone else has about covered it--so I'm just here to bug you for pics! (I can't help it...that's just how I am about pics. )

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 11th, 2013, 05:27 PM

Welcome Cosmo nice to have you here
And yes we want to see pics, what is the little guys name?
Old February 12th, 2013, 08:38 AM

Here are a couple of pictures of the little guy. His name is Cosmo.

Yesterday he learned a valuable lesson about jumping on things... It had him sent in the crate 3 times... 4th time, he didnt even bother, went to sleep on his bed. This morning he's great... Trying to jump on things, a simple down and he's done... No second attempt. He also knows sit and come... We have actually mastered both commands without a treat. I got him last thursday and am feeling this is a great improvement.. He is a great little guy. Still a soft stool, already had a vet appointment for Friday. Teething already, but thats what some pepper water sprayed on everything is for... Cheap way, and after the first bite he will think about it twice on the next go.
Attached Images

Old February 12th, 2013, 09:17 AM

aw he is such a sweetie!

Do you normally leave him in the create when you are out? I personally wouldn't use the create as a punishment, because he will now relate that as a place where you go when you have done something wrong, so if you leave them during the day when you are at work or something, he may think he has been a real bad boy; and not really see the crate as a safe place, his home per say...

when our puppy has been bad we just give him a little "time out", and its funny because he actually sits on the spot and waits until we say OK come back

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
Old February 12th, 2013, 09:48 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jull View Post
aw he is such a sweetie!

Do you normally leave him in the create when you are out? I personally wouldn't use the create as a punishment, because he will now relate that as a place where you go when you have done something wrong, so if you leave them during the day when you are at work or something, he may think he has been a real bad boy; and not really see the crate as a safe place, his home per say...

when our puppy has been bad we just give him a little "time out", and its funny because he actually sits on the spot and waits until we say OK come back
I agree that is not good to use the crate as a punishment . Marty loves to take naps in his crate , he has a small dog bed in it and he goes right into the crate when he feel like it. He think it's in little den. Your dog is cute. I see a French Bull dog at park , they're cute little dogs .
Old February 12th, 2013, 12:52 PM

Lately he plays in his crate during the day with the door open. Currently working from home. But he does go in there during the day when the door is open. I think he is getting used to the idea. My previous dog was crated when I was gone and he did sleep in his crate with the door open. I also did put my previous dog in the crate for a time out or for him to relax with the door closed. Cosmo has not been crated at night because he cannot seem to hold is bladder and bowels. I would like to lock him in there at night to sleep in maybe a month as he gets older and comfortable to his surroundings. Its only been a few days in his new home.
Old February 12th, 2013, 02:26 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

Love the pix! Welcome to the forum Cosmo!!
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old February 23rd, 2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingdog View Post
I agree that is not good to use the crate as a punishment . Marty loves to take naps in his crate , he has a small dog bed in it and he goes right into the crate when he feel like it. He think it's in little den. Your dog is cute. I see a French Bull dog at park , they're cute little dogs .

Crate is not punishment.... But it is used or time outs or cooling down periods so he can relax.

Think of a kid who misbehaves, where do you tell him to go, usually his room. Same idea going on here... Associating crate with a safe place and relaxation.
Old February 23rd, 2013, 12:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
Crate is not punishment.... But it is used or time outs or cooling down periods so he can relax.

Think of a kid who misbehaves, where do you tell him to go, usually his room. Same idea going on here... Associating crate with a safe place and relaxation.
I never send my child to her bedroom as a punishment as that was the only place in the house that was her's and it was place to feel good about going to not to hate . This is the same reason I do not put my dog into his crate to cool or chill out. Marty will go into his crate when he want to take a nap away from me.
Old February 23rd, 2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
Yup, I know lots of dog owners who do this.