Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old February 26th, 2008, 10:43 AM
Getting defensive

What's in/on your dog's crate ?

A dog's crate is supposed to be like it's den, right ? But pretty much all the ones I've ever seen are just wire - not dark and snug like a den at all.

So - what have you done to make your dog's crate into a welcoming, comfy home / den for them ?

Pugsley Bo
Butterscotch
Burbel Grey
Old February 26th, 2008, 10:51 AM

For our Border collie a few years back (god bless her) we got an airline approved crate, that yes was dark and had very stable plastic sides, it was a perfect den for her.

Deb
Old February 26th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Half Way To Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashi View Post
A dog's crate is supposed to be like it's den, right ? But pretty much all the ones I've ever seen are just wire - not dark and snug like a den at all.

So - what have you done to make your dog's crate into a welcoming, comfy home / den for them ?

we only created Bree until she was 4 months old, then she slept in our room..
at that time i put a blanket on top (until she found out how to pull it down) and a couple of toys..we could not put a blanket inside cause she would rip it to shreds and I feared she would eat it. so her so called den was not dark at all..
Old February 26th, 2008, 11:01 AM
Getting defensive

The crate we were given when we picked up Pugsley was one of those plastic airline type crates, but was significantly too small for him - he couldn't stand up or turn around at all (and he'd been spending upwards of 16 hours a day in it )

So, we bought one of the wire crates - just a small sized one, but it's almost too big still. He can stand up, take a full turn, move about a little.

I've got a flannel sheet doubled up over top of it, covering the top, back and both sides, but not the front.

Inside, he's got some more of the flannel sheet, a small towel (he digs at it and buries into that), and 1/2 of a thing that's made for child's strollers to keep them warm in the winter (it's an oval, lightly padded).

He's got a nylon bone in there - but he ignores it. At night, we put another chew toy or two in with him.

If we go out during the day, I stuff a Kong and put that in with him.

Pugsley Bo
Butterscotch
Burbel Grey
Old February 26th, 2008, 11:13 AM

Quote:
So, we bought one of the wire crates - just a small sized one, but it's almost too big still. He can stand up, take a full turn, move about a little.
How big is the measurements on the cage? How big is he, I still have our puppies kennel down stairs, it was only used for 3 months till she passed on. Mind you it was for a Border Collie, you don't want it too big as the pup may start using it to potty in.

Deb
Old February 26th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Getting defensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb12 View Post
How big is the measurements on the cage? How big is he, I still have our puppies kennel down stairs, it was only used for 3 months till she passed on. Mind you it was for a Border Collie, you don't want it too big as the pup may start using it to potty in.

Deb

Uh - I've no measured it, but I'd guess it's about 24" long, 18" wide, about 20" high or so.

Pugs is 21 lbs, but I'm not sure of his measurements.

He's not used the crate as a potty at all, so I'm not too concerned about that. The crate came with an extra wire panel that you can use to make it shorter - I'd put that in if it looked way too large, or he was pottying in the crate.

Pugsley Bo
Butterscotch
Burbel Grey
Old February 26th, 2008, 11:40 AM

Way to go for him, I had heard not to get ours to big, mostly from her breeder (no more breeders), I think when we put her in we gave her a bone, blankets, and water because she had a UTI.

Deb
Old February 26th, 2008, 11:54 AM

Quote:
I've got a flannel sheet doubled up over top of it, covering the top, back and both sides, but not the front.
We do the same thing. Tried keeping a blanket inside but all Shabba did was rip it to shreds. Usually a Nylabone in there with her, sometimes a real bone too if it's still got chewing left on it. It's also where she eats and we keep some EVO dog treats just for when she "goes to bed". We kennel trained her from Day 1 in our house.
Old February 26th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Geek Club CEO

Jaida was crated until she was about 6 months old or so. She had a metal/wire crate, in which we put several layers of towels, some toys, and we covered the crate with a sheet to make it a little cozier and less distracting. It worked well for her, for the most part. She never had accidents or got at the sheet, and the towels were easier than a blanket to throw in the wash as needed. Our only problem with the wire crate was that she got her little bendy-foot stuck (hooked) on the bars once or twice. Not fun. A plastic crate with smaller holes on the wire door would have been better. That's not a very typical issue, though. Gracie we never crated, we got her as a very claustrophobic one-year old rescue She naturally "dens", though, under several lower tables in the house. So does Jaida. They both sleep on the floor beside the bed now.
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old February 26th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Senior Contributor

we just packed up my dog's main crate, since he's 100% trustworthy in the house now. but we do have one in our bedroom still, and will keep that available to him. we use the wire crates - my dog prefers to be able to see what's going on around him.

in his main crate we had an old queen size comforter that was folded so it was a nice warm snuggly bed in there. He had a water bottle secured to the side. and an old wooden milk crate that held his toys kept the door propped open.

On the top we had a piece of plywood - so it became a "table top" and we put our cats food/water dishes up there. This kept them off the floor so the dog didn't eat them.

in the crate in the bedroom we simply have a big warm snuggly fleece blanket. (our cats often use the crate more than the dog does. on rare occassions, they even share it)
Old February 26th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Getting defensive

Here's a photo I snapped of Pugs sitting in his crate.

The crate is in our living room.
Attached Images

Pugsley Bo
Butterscotch
Burbel Grey
Old February 26th, 2008, 02:21 PM

Oh my god he is so cute, what a sweet face!!!! My son would him to pieces......

I think it is a good fit, does he enjoy his little apartment, is the question? He looks , but it could be that your there!!!!

It looks very comfortable to me, awesome decorating job....

does he stretch out in it?

Nova - Papillon - SuperStar

Deb
Old February 26th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Getting defensive

Oh he does like his little living quarters - he's dozing there right now in fact.

He can lay down, but not stretch out per se - as that would take a crate a good 4 feet long

Pugsley Bo
Butterscotch
Burbel Grey
Old February 26th, 2008, 02:33 PM

Holy puggle, he's long.....I do love when they lay out like a turkey dinner...teehee

He is priceless......

Nova - Papillon - SuperStar

Deb
Old February 26th, 2008, 03:24 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

Looks like you have it covered, you woudl know if he didn't like it, he looks happy, and if he goes in it on his own, then I'd say you are on the right track.

I use an x-pen, so it's not covered at all, open at the top, but stand just about 5' tall, it has a bed, a safe stuffy, and a metal water bowl. Dazy's doesn't destroy things that belong to her... so we are ok with blankets and stuffies, but we crate her cuz she has no problems destroying our stuff.

Dazy crated from day 1, no crying at all, even on her first night with us, so we've never had issues.

Pubert Wizzer Howell-Boyd III of the feline kind R.I.P my little guy!!

If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a pet!

221/194/170(for next year)
Old February 26th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Swift Tribe

he has 3 potted plants on the top, a board that supports my sewing stuff... a box of Cailyns outdoor toys and his outdoor toys (they are basically the same hellish creatures anyway!!!). its located in a dark corner of the kitchen.

Mister has the same crate but..... the biggest size they make. he has enough room to lay out comfortably but not to really sprawl. he didnt have ANYTHING AT ALL but his funky kong in there until a few months ago. if he could get his teeth around it, it was shredded. he is a shredding kind of dog i guess.

now he has a old couch blanket and for some reason he never chewed it. ive tried carpets, other blankets (in my enthusiasm ) to find he just ripped them up (like 20 minutes gone, come home to find the mess).

ive been bugging dad to leave him out at night or some nights. he is 16ish months old now... its about time he snicks his little claws aroudn the house at night!!!!

Pugsleys home looks fab!! way more fancy than Misters!!

-ashley

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)
Old February 26th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Swift Tribe

blood sweat and tears into that thing and it didnt even last an hour. one of my enthusiastic endeavors after the acceptance of his ratty old blanket. *sigh*

-ashley

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Old February 26th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Doggie Wench

Our guys have blankets covering their crates and large bath carpets on the inside. They're only crated when everyone leaves the house (with stuffed Kongs) and for about an hour after meals. I may crate them at other times like when I have to wash the floors or when we're expecting company (just the first 5-10 minutes until they settle down). They all love their crates.
Old February 27th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Swift Tribe

Quote:
I may crate them at other times like when I have to wash the floors or when we're expecting company (just the first 5-10 minutes until they settle down).
Mister is the same way. i always figured it was bad training on my part. he doesnt jump or bark but he is PESTY and wiggly and annoying to guest. i have a few friends who will come over and ignore him but one of my husbands friends (sweet guy but a little thick) came over, held his hand flat at eye level and kept telling him down. so now Mister thinks.... "maybe THIS new person will let me be a crazy dog!!!" and every one gets the hoppy, bouncy, pushy greeting he gave the other guy.

-ash

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Old July 30th, 2009, 04:42 PM

"Hidden" treats. The dog likes to hide food in their own place and we've found scraps of McDonald's cheesy greasy paper!

I guess the den is for retreating and keeping things away from humans.

To create a den-like environment, definitely keep the crate covered using a blanket or a custom cover that'll keep in place and give proper ventilation. It's also a good idea to make the crate comfortable. Blankets are awesome, but they also get torn up to pieces. We do sell pads that are custom fitted, attached to the crate so they don't move around easily nor do they get destroyed too easily. Best of all, machine washable and reversible.
Old July 31st, 2009, 10:15 PM

For Stark, I have a crate pad inside (they stay cool in the summer and contain heat in the winter) with his "puppy blanket" that he got from the breeder, a few toys (he's teething) and there is a crate cover over it that I purchased online.

During the day I usually empty the inside of the crate 2x's per day. He is fed raw, so I use the crate to contain the mess. It makes my cleanup a lot faster and easier. After he is finished his meal, I clean it out (disinfect), and put his things back inside.

He does migrate towards his crate every so often, but opts for the tile floor instead most days.
Old July 31st, 2009, 11:38 PM

I have a plastic covered crate for Jack. There's a towel in there (never chews!) and I put a hard toy and a his favorite monkey in there when he has to go in. He rarely goes in his den unless he has to. Sometimes he'll go in for a bit and sit down for a few minutes, but he'd rather sit by me.
Old August 1st, 2009, 04:55 PM

Booney has an airline approved crate. I tossed an old blanket over it to cover the "windows" on the sides so he can be in a den like atmosphere. Inside is a far too large pet bed that is made to go in crates that had belonged to Drifter when he was alive.

Old August 1st, 2009, 06:37 PM

Looks comfy in there!
Old August 1st, 2009, 06:53 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

What's in mine? Cats! A litter box and a cupboard. The bottom part holds the litter box. The top shelf one or two kitties sleep on. And blankets to lie on. The top? A blanket and two cat beds.
Old August 2nd, 2009, 08:42 PM

Our dog's crate? A plastic tray taht was suppposed to line it and was just 2 inches too big so was turned into a top. On top of that is the box that one of our cats eats in. Once we got the puppy they couldn't eat on the floor near her. They won't all eat together behind the babygate, and at first the top of the dog crate was out of reach of the puppy. The box got added when the puppy got tall enough to reach the top of teh crate, the high box sides prevent her from getting the food or the cat
Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-