Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old May 23rd, 2006, 12:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Update on Princess

She's has adapted well, and is doing great. This will be her third day here now. And it is her first day that she has been eating for us! I couldn't find wellness any where, so we decided to go with Nutro, and are having alright time with it. Hubby and I think she was fed more table scraps, than dog food as he didn't find a bag of food anywhere at his grandpa's house, and she just stares at us when we are eating... Plus she doesn't seem interested in it at all.. and has only taken a nibble or two today. Also, from the looks of it, she isn't Lhaso Apso, and is a Shih Tzu. Cute none the less though. But boy does she ever bark when she hears someone outdoors! lol.... She actually started barking at me, before I even touched the door handle one day, when coming from getting the mail... lol... Oh well... It'll take some time for her to get used to hearing all the people outside, now that she lives in the suburbs, and not way out in the country anymore. Oh, she IS also housebroken, and only had 1 accident on the first day she got here, but she was afraid of us yet. Which brings me to my first question... She is TERRIFIED of people. She still shakes sometimes when hubby and I are around her... What's the best way to show her, that no ones going to hurt her... She has never really been around anyone besides hubbys grandpa, so she's afraid of everyone...
Old May 23rd, 2006, 01:01 PM
Boss-lady!

I'm glad she's settling in for you. I think time and kindness is about all you can do to prove to her that she's got nothing to fear. Poor baby is probably all upset still from the changes.

"You can't have a good day in bad underwear"- Fruit of the Loom ad
Old May 23rd, 2006, 02:46 PM
-

I agree. She's had a lot of changes lately and will just take her a little time to adjust.
Old May 25th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Senior Contributor

She's sure adjusting well... Now instead of shaking when she sees people, she barks! That's how I remember seeing her the few times I did. She's also really active outdoors! I took her for a couple of walks yesterday afternoon/evening, and she was running all over the place. I sure am glad I found the extendable leash that is 27 feet! She used every bit of it, and still tried going further! lol... And crate training is going well too. She LOVES her crate already, and prefers to lay in there, instead of the nice fluffy bed we have for her.... Oh well, it's there if she ever decides to use it...
Old May 25th, 2006, 12:03 PM
Senior Contributor

I think it is very compassionate of you to take this old girl in, Lilith, with your hands full of 2 babies, other animals and sometimes absent husband. I'm glad it is working out so well, a little love does wonders.

I don't imagine she had many walks in her previous life. Heaven!
Old May 25th, 2006, 02:18 PM
Senior Contributor

I know that hubby's grandpa would let her run around outside, but it was hard enough for him to walk around, let alone take Princess out for walks... But he would sit out on his porch, and let her run loose... She like to lay right up next to hubby, while he's sitting on the couch using the computer ( it's hooked up through our TV) She lays right up against his arm, so it is hard for him to use the mouse... lol...

Hubby has been thinking about getting a small dog for a while now, so he figured we will see how it goes with Princess, and if everything goes fine, in 6 months or so, we may get her a friend from the local shelter. I am thinking an adult, about 3-4 years old. One that could maybe bring back the puppy in her... and one of the same size..

I went in to our local store the other day. They have the engraving machines to personalize tags. I bought her two of them. One with her name, and one with our contact information. Figured I would do that, being that she already tried getting outside, without her leash on once... Plus she slipped out of her collar once, while walking yesterday... She listened really well when I called her, and came to me right away... But if she would get loose and we couldn't catch her, hopefully someone would be honest and call us, if they found her.

We do plan on getting her micro chipped as soon as we have money for it. It will probably be sometime this fall, as money is super tight for us, with the unplanned trip for my husband. Plus our washer and dryer went out on us.... Go figure... So next week we need to go in and buy a new set... Ugh.... Like things weren't hard enough on us already... lol...

But I should get going. I need to take Princess out to go potty before it starts raining...
Old May 25th, 2006, 08:22 PM

I'm glad it's working out so far. Just give her time to settle in and figure things out.
Old May 27th, 2006, 07:50 PM
Long Term Member

I'm also glad things are working out well... good luck!
My cockatiel Jayson- 3months
Hailey- My cockatiel-2 years :love: