Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old July 18th, 2005, 04:46 PM
Senior Contributor

I think it is so cool......

I have noticed that since I have been a member here, I have picked up your guys was of spelling words. Like favourite and colour!!!! James thinks I am wierd, but I guess I see it so much now, that I am starting to pick up on it, and do it myself, without realizing it!!! I actually like the way it looks too!!!! I think it is cool!!!
Old July 18th, 2005, 04:49 PM
Crazy About Chow Chows

Go Canada!...and UK!

(insert other flag here)

Surria (Clos de Lion's Spirit of Fire), 1 yr old Chow Chow (female)

Tigra, 2 yr old Pomeranian (female)

Kiki (Angelspur's Icy Dream) 1 yr old Persian (female)
Old July 18th, 2005, 05:55 PM
Senior Contributor

and australia,

thank goodness we spell like normal ppl, its colour, not color, its centre, not center, emphasised, not emphasized actualyl we dont use that z at all we convert all to sssssssssssss'sss.... in my recent thesis i got scathing comments for not using correct aussie spelling, well i have fixed that for sure but boy the markers were very upset by it..... but then most aussie get a bit upset when other aussie dont use our language properly and try and bastarise it with other countries spelling or word use...

and i would never in this world use the word mayo and similar words in public and esp near my mother, ppl get really offended at that word (some say too american i dont care), its mayonaise and that is the way aussie say it...but to me mayo is easier, i jsut use it in my head....bloody crazy country

be careful though, you caught our words, now you might catch my crap typing lol lol lol

Last edited by melanie; July 18th, 2005 at 05:57 PM. Reason: spastic computer and not curse word but system thinks so, lol
Old July 18th, 2005, 09:22 PM

I'm all backwards. I grew up here but I never caught on to the "our" stuff. I'm still a neighbor, who wears colors and I emphasize. I think it's only in Europe that they use the "s" instead of Z, not here anyway.
Old July 19th, 2005, 01:11 AM
Senior Contributor

and australia, we dont use zzz ever, its only ever sssss.

your too funny prin, my darlin im a neighbour, wearing colour and i like to emphasise it,

i even say emphasise with the s, no zzzzzzzzs in there i suspect lol tooo funny

but truly im serious here, get out now before you pick up or catch the crappy typer virus, oh and theres a lazy speller one out there too that consistantly makes you type jsut instead of just and makes you tooooo lazy to go back and fix it, watch out now. you have been warned ...
Old July 19th, 2005, 06:38 AM

I would like to emphasize that I'm a little confused about my center of colours, but I am a good neighbour
O.K. I confess that my spelling of words can get a little confusing sometimes ... I tend to go with whatever feels/looks right to me at the time
Old July 19th, 2005, 07:32 AM
Senior Contributor

Ok,I have an excuse...English is my 3rd language,Swedish being my mother-tounge....my spelling is often off the wall...but who really cares as long as you can understand.
I remember a while ago spelling youghurt and someone got excited,but that's the way I'd always spelled it
Old July 19th, 2005, 09:58 AM
Senior Contributor

I've noticed you're losing your American accent, Lilith. By the way, I work in a call centre dealing with American's, and they've never heard of a zed 28, only a zee 28. They also think I used to drive a zee 24, which I find odd.
Old July 19th, 2005, 12:02 PM
Senior Contributor

I was thinking you'd better be careful - next thing you will doing the I am Joe Canadian rant, lol

http://www.coolcanuckaward.ca/joe_canadian.htm

and it is Z not s - but I hold duel Irish-Canadian citizenship, rofl!

Last edited by CyberKitten; July 19th, 2005 at 12:04 PM.
Old July 20th, 2005, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwinn
I've noticed you're losing your American accent, Lilith. By the way, I work in a call centre dealing with American's, and they've never heard of a zed 28, only a zee 28. They also think I used to drive a zee 24, which I find odd.
Luckily, pretty early on in life I had a Canadian friend who loved me enough to explain when one day I blurted out, "Okay okay.. but who the heck is, Zed?!"

http://www.vasavana.blogspot.com
Old July 20th, 2005, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2
...English is my 3rd language,Swedish being my mother-tounge....
So, what's your second language?

LOL @ Schwinn. Yeah, hubby used to ride a zed-ex-6, and I could never get used to hearing American's call it a zee-ex-6. Just doesn't roll off the tongue, ya know? The kids get pretty confused too. They learn to sing the alphabet with a "zed" at school - which doesn't rhyme - and then hear the "zee" ending when watching American TV, which sounds a lot better when singing the song. I'm thinking that's the only reason the sound of the letter was changed in the first place - so that the song would rhyme.
Old July 20th, 2005, 01:35 PM
Senior Contributor

I know someone who created a web site - he was attending univ in Canada and I think he was American but I am not certain - about the differences between the words used for pop and soda. I did not know till I read his site that all pop is known in Atlanta and Georgia as coke (because Coke is headq'd in Atlanta). And that most midwesterners say pop while New Englanders say soda - like my Boston nephew. I'll try to find the site - who says the internet is not educational,

Here it is:

And I promsied him I'd get you guys to sign in and note what you drink - maybe I should start this as a poll and a new thread - Whatya think?
http://www.popvssoda.com/
Old July 20th, 2005, 03:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Writing4Fun
They learn to sing the alphabet with a "zed" at school - which doesn't rhyme - and then hear the "zee" ending when watching American TV, which sounds a lot better when singing the song. I'm thinking that's the only reason the sound of the letter was changed in the first place - so that the song would rhyme.
Actually, it rhymed originally, but "Now won't you play with Ted?" just sounded creepy.
Old July 20th, 2005, 03:27 PM

Ummm.. Schwinn, the Zee is supposed to rhyme with V... So for it to have rhymed before it would have been like this:

q-r-s,
t-u-ved,
w-x-y and zed.
Now I know my ABC's
next time won't you sing with me.

I just thought I'd set you straight so you don't mess up that little girls noggin'..

I just think Zed is cooler. I mean, give a tough guy a choice between Zee, and Zed- well, Schwinn, what would you choose?

(it's pick on Schwinn day it seems. )