Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 10th, 2003, 12:37 PM

Talking A brand new family member

I'm getting a new dog! Okay, he's not so new, he's 2 years old, but he's new to me. He's a purebred Rottie, and already has some basic training, and is crate trained. He's also a big snuggler, so I'm certain I'm going to enjoy that part.

My question is: What is a good way to help the kids (my stepsons, who've never had a dog before) understand the 'rules' for playing with and dealing with him? I've kept and trained many dogs in my life, so I'm secure that I'll be able to handle this guy... but how can I teach the kids to deal with him so they don't somehow end up 'bullied' by a big cuddly monster? They are 21, 16, and 10 years old.

My own children have been around several dogs, but aren't old enough to walk them, while the older two stepsons are. If everything comes out alright (adoption procedures etc), I should be taking him home this weekend, Friday night hopefully.

Any Rottie specific tips I should know, or are the things I've used with large dogs in the past sufficient? I've tended to use heavy praise and the reward system and had good results with all my dogs so far. Apparently he knows the Sit, Down, Stay (but has some trouble staying), and Come commands. The foster home has had dim several months and he has never shown any agreession at all, not with food, toys, anything. He has also never been destructive, even when left to his own devices loose in their place.

The other thing, is how do I help my cats adjust to this HUGE (to them) creature who is suddenly going to be in 'their' home. (No, they don't make me pay rent... yet. But it's theirs.) He has barked at cats but not been around them, so I figured the night he comes home, I'll lock the cats in their safe room, spend some time with him and see how well he is trained, then place him in the crate in the living room and let the cats out to make sure we don't have any accidents. I can't think that we'll have too many problems teaching him that the cats are not chew-toys.

Thanks for any advice you can give. I'm soooo excited!