Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 15th, 2014, 03:30 PM

Mouth & paw lesions - please help

Hello all,

I recently noticed (about a week ago) a lesion on my cat's mouth/under its chin. The lesion is pink with some red/black parts (please see attached images). My best guess is that the lesion is either a fight wound or some kind of viral/bacterial infection (probably viral). The situation does not seem to have gotten any better or worse over the last week which is beginning to worry me, as you might expect a fight wound to have begun to heal by now, or an infection to have begun clearing up. More recently, I have noticed two hairless patches on his paws - one on each paw. He is 8 years old, his eating/sleeping/behaviour/personality are all normal, i.e. he does not seem to be acutely ill. What do you think the lesions may be, and is it time to take him to the Vets?

Thanks
Attached Images

Last edited by hazelrunpack; April 16th, 2014 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Resized pics
Old April 15th, 2014, 03:50 PM

I can't see the lesions you're referring to from the pictures. It would be worrisome to me that your cat has lost the fur on his paws though. I would be taking kitty to the vet as fur falling out means something is going on that needs medical attention. Good luck!
Old April 15th, 2014, 08:24 PM

Hi MoreOfACatPerso:

Welcome to the forum. Hopefully we can shed some light on your problem. I just resize the photos in hopes of being able to get a better picture of what your problem is. The photos of what appear to be the hind foot look as if they could be rub marks, caused by a change in his method of getting up and down or sitting. As cats get older and they gain weight or pickup a bit of arthritis they have a tendency of changing the way they carry themselves, and this will cause wear spots from time to time. This might be what you're looking at here but it's just too hard to tell from the photos.

As for the chin it would appear to be Feline Acne. This can cause a loss of hair, and usually there are blackheads lumps, and bloody from scratching. This can get quite messy and painful if left unattended. If it is Feline Acne it is easily treated but I would recommend seeing a veterinarian to be certain what is causing the problem. If you decide to treat it yourself be extremely careful of what you are using. Some of the treatment we use on ourselves or other animals can be very detrimental to a cat's health when used on them.

Please keep us informed of your findings. But I think if it was me I would be taking him to the vet for my peace of mind. From where we sit all we can do is give you our thoughts to the problem for what they are worth.
Old April 16th, 2014, 05:51 AM
Senior Contributor

I agree your cat would benefit from a trip to the Vet. However, acne on the chin like that can be caused by using plastic food dishes in dogs. I'm not sure about cats but if you are using plastic it's an easy thing to try something different. I use china people dishes for my cats, little fruit nappies I get at the thrift store and they go in my dishwasher after each use.
Old April 16th, 2014, 07:51 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

First off welcome to the forum and glad you found us.

I agree with the others - a vet looking at this is a smart idea especially when it comes to how to treat it as Reg rightly suggests.

I also agree that plastic food dishes might well be contributing to this.

Please keep us updated.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old April 16th, 2014, 12:14 PM

Thanks all,

The mouth lesion does look a lot like feline acne... and I do ordinarily feed him out of china bowls rather than plastic however we also have a dog whom we feed using plastic dishes, and our cat does sometimes steal some of this food... may be worth starting to feed the dog using china also.

Think I will see if it is self-limiting and if not I will take him to the Vets.

MOACP