Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 25th, 2014, 04:36 AM

Cat with limp tail/pain

My 6 1/2 year indoor cat Elsie is not doing well; please help! 2 weeks ago, we returned from our week long honeymoon to find her in bad shape. The people taking care of her somehow managed to break her automatic feeder, and she didn't eat for at least 2 full days (she had plenty of water, although i'm not sure how much she drank as she typically drinks after eating). We also noticed the following day that her tail was limp and she wasn't moving it at all. The people "taking care" of her (if you can even call it that.... I'm so mad at them!) said nothing happened to her tail that they know of. Anyway, I took her to the vet that Monday; they did an x-ray of her tail, and said there was no apparent break, but it may have been a pull injury. The vet didn't seem to think the not eating thing was related, and prescribed steroids and pain killers. At first, Elsie seemed to be doing better, although her tail never went up more than "half mast." The last couple of days, though, she seems to be in a lot of pain, and started hiding under the bed again (which she did when we first returned as well). We thought she may have reinjured her tail again, but we have no idea how. Now when she doesn't have pain meds in her system, she walks reeeaaaaalllly slowly (obviously in pain), and tonight she even hissed at me when I touched her near her rear-end (very out of character for her). She still appears to be eating, drinking, and peeing/pooping normally, and is about halfway through her steroids. It's been just a little under 2 weeks since I took her to the vet. I spent $280 at that visit, but I'm wondering now if I should take her back for blood work/urinanalysis since they didn't do any of that at the first visit (even though I really can't afford it). I should also mention that she was treated for a UTI about 5 months ago (no problems since). Any advice would be much appreciated!

Last edited by elsie522; January 25th, 2014 at 04:52 AM.
Old January 25th, 2014, 11:09 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

If the tail problem is from a 'pull injury', then she might also have hurt her back when the injury occurred. Another vet visit might be in order to assess her back, too. Tails are just an extension of the spine--and they can take a very long time to heal. She may need more pain meds--also something the vet can help you with when she sees him again.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 25th, 2014, 11:50 AM
Senior Contributor

I would have the cat hind legs checked out to , she could fallen off of thing or been pulled my her hinds legs too. Poor kitty. Did you get the people to pay for a new cat feeder?
Old January 27th, 2014, 01:38 AM

cats tail

If it's from a pull injury, such as these caregivers would have pulled her tail, I would consider having them pay the vet bill and other expenses...

How sad for your cat

sandyrivers
Elphin April 21st 2008 m -cat
Stibule(Gino,Airell,Katla,Rasta)June 6th 2009 f- cat
Gino Ferrero April 8th 2010 m -cat
Airell Awenn Awnfenn Ep Berrth April 8th 2010 f- cat
Katla Chilam Balam April 8th 2010 f- cat
Rasta Farian Marley April 9th 2010 m- cat
Chipcat-Filou found June 12th 2011 (Ocicat 6months old) f-cat
Jane the Snow Cat rescued Dec27th 2012 f- cat
Old January 31st, 2014, 12:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Wow, lots going on here. I haven't had a cat for a long time, but with my dog the first symptom that she had a UTI was that her tail was limp and she cried going up the stairs. Not symptoms I would have thought of for a urinary issue. I'd definitely check that out again. Good luck with your kitty.