Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 24th, 2014, 03:51 AM

Sticky-trap removal

Not strictly a health issue I guess, but it seemed the best area to ask in.

We have a large Maine Coon ( “Georgie Porgie” ), a semi-feral neighbourhood cat that kept wandering into our house so eventually ( after a couple years ) we decided to try and domesticate him. This is mostly going well… although he enjoys the free kibble and has stopped lacerating anyone that tried to touch him, attaching the flea collar or giving baths are still an ordeal. But the main problem is that he insists on eating rats from the dumpster at the local convenience store. This in itself doesn’t seem to do him any harm, his stool is normal, he continues to eat his regular kibble, etc. And he’s probably been doing this continuously since long before we took him in. But the store owners use these “sticky traps” to catch the rats, and occasionally he will eat one that got got caught this way and come home with it stuck to his face and especially whiskers. Is there anything I can use to clean or remove this that won’t hurt him? I don’t want to keep cutting his whiskers off because I heard they use their whiskers to know if they can fit through an opening, and I’ve seen him almost get stuck in the patio doors right after getting them trimmed. So far I've tried rubbing alcohol and no-more-tears baby shampoo but neither worked. The glue is strong, if you pull too hard the fur and whiskers come with it.

Thanks for any advice.
Old April 24th, 2014, 09:24 AM
Senior Contributor

http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Glue-from-Mouse-Trap-off-Cat

I found this web site that tell how to remove the glue , I am concerned about the cat eating the rats b/c the glue could the cat health issues .
Old April 25th, 2014, 07:22 AM
Senior Contributor

What is a sticky trap? I'm having a hard time imagining something strong enough to catch and hold a rat.
Old April 25th, 2014, 10:29 AM
Senior Contributor

They're a small tray with a very strong glue and have food in it to attract rodents. The poor animal dies for a lack of food and water. I think they're the cruelest way to trap a animal. My condo uses them and I found a mouse
on it and it was horrible!
Old April 25th, 2014, 09:14 PM

I'm not sure what to do here, maybe try some baby oil? Ideally I would keep him indoors but that doesn't sound feasible if he's semi-feral.
Old April 25th, 2014, 09:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne&Co. View Post
I'm not sure what to do here, maybe try some baby oil? Ideally I would keep him indoors but that doesn't sound feasible if he's semi-feral.
That is what is said in the link I posted , it said to vegetable oil and it give instruction. I found a sticky trap on our driveway last week , I am not sure how it got there but I picked it with plastic bag and threw it away. I did not want my dog stepping on it or a squirrel picking it up with it mouth as food on it. I hate these things!
Old April 26th, 2014, 03:03 PM

Sorry BD!
You caught me......I didn't click on the link you included. Oh well, too much advice is better than none I guess