Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 11th, 2014, 07:46 AM

Senior cat.. Sick or old age?

I'm trying to figure out for my parents what to do with their cat.

He's about 16 or 17 years old, recently lost a lot of weight, to the point where you can feel there is almost no fat on him at all, doesn't look skin and bones but if you pet him you would think he is.

He does eat a lot, but keeps losing weight.. honestly I think he eats more now then he has in the past.. he's also drinking a lot of water.. a lot. If you watch him eat he will take like three or four bites, then drink water, then switch back to food and will do this (assuming somebody stays near him) for a good 10 minutes, then he will walk away, but come back a little later usually within 30 minutes and eat more and drink more.

Sometimes when he is relaxing.. just sitting in his chair, when you walk by and he tries to meow, no sound, he will do it a few times before he basically get's his voice back.

He also seems to be out of energy a lot (but I really think that is more age then sick, because when my nephew visits, he is always able to run and hide up the stairs lol)

He has been peeing in different areas of the house also.. but it's kinda you can tell where he will.. if my dad's, ANYTHING is on the floor.. shirt, coat, pants, towel, blanket.. he will pee on it, if there is nothing of his on the floor, the cat will then either jump on the my dad's chair on pee on a blanket if it's around, OR then he will try the cat box.

My parents are thinking of putting him to sleep, I kinda want to make sure that that is the right decision. If he's just old, and not in pain I'd rather they let him live out his remaining months at home (but they are just tired of him peeing everywhere and I can't blame them)

His brother had feline diabeties, and I wonder if he has it too now.. but if he does, or well if there is anything sick related wrong with him, they can't afford any treatements, doing it for his brother for the 3 years was just way to expensive.

So any ideas? Do you think it could be just an old cat, or do you think he might actually be sick.. I don't think he's in pain, mostly because he responds to well and too easily to any attention he gets.
Old April 11th, 2014, 07:54 AM
Senior Contributor

This cat needs to be examined by a Vet. Take in a stool sample and a urine sample. Ask the Vet how and when to get these samples, the Vet will usually provide you with proper little containers for transport of the samples. These symptoms could be caused by several different ailments and some would be easily treated. Please encourage your parents to Vet this cat they've loved for 17 years.
Old April 11th, 2014, 09:27 AM
Senior Contributor

http://www.animalplanet.com/pets/hea...e-diabetes.htm

The cat could have diabetes , I agree it need to be seen by a vet right away .
Old April 11th, 2014, 10:07 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longblades View Post
This cat needs to be examined by a Vet. Take in a stool sample and a urine sample. Ask the Vet how and when to get these samples, the Vet will usually provide you with proper little containers for transport of the samples. These symptoms could be caused by several different ailments and some would be easily treated. Please encourage your parents to Vet this cat they've loved for 17 years.
+1 for sure.
that it's easily treatable.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old April 11th, 2014, 03:20 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Sadly considering the age I would also recommend a quick vet visit.....its tough on us when they age...Good Luck
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old April 11th, 2014, 07:57 PM

I agree with everyone else. It is probably best to take him to see the vet. This sounds just like ageing but it could be a illness. And you don't want to put him down right away if the problem can possibly be treated. I think the hardest part of owning a pet is letting him go. You have my blessings!
Old April 13th, 2014, 06:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Echoing what the others have said: this cat really needs to get to the vet ASAP. There are a number of conditions cats can develop as they age that fit these symptoms (diabetes, kidney disease, hyperthyroidism, are the main ones) and they're all manageable. There are also many ways to treat them economically, so hopefully your parents don't think of any of them as a death sentence. Please do come back here when they have a diagnosis and we can help them find ways to save money on treatment.

Good luck!

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old April 14th, 2014, 09:17 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
Echoing what the others have said: this cat really needs to get to the vet ASAP. There are a number of conditions cats can develop as they age that fit these symptoms (diabetes, kidney disease, hyperthyroidism, are the main ones) and they're all manageable. There are also many ways to treat them economically, so hopefully your parents don't think of any of them as a death sentence. Please do come back here when they have a diagnosis and we can help them find ways to save money on treatment.

Good luck!
(Extremely well written SCM)
+1
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old April 18th, 2014, 09:15 PM

I'm still trying to convince them to bring him to the vet.. but I'm starting to think it might be worms, and that would be because I caught him dragging his butt on the rug.

But the answer I keep getting is, "I can't afford it, are you going to pay for it?"
Old April 18th, 2014, 10:07 PM
Senior Contributor

There are low cost vet low clinics , you could look on line and see if there are any near your parents home. You could bring a stool sample to a vet and see if the cat has worms , this will cost less money but you would need to know how the cat weight to get right doses of med.
Old April 18th, 2014, 10:42 PM

When they tell you they can't afford it, tell them that they should take the cat to the vet and that will be your birthday/xmas present for the year.
Old April 19th, 2014, 07:07 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

When they rub their butt on the carpet that is a sign of anal gland issues. Usually this is done to try and release them. If they are impacted and not releasing this can be very uncomfortable. The vet can drain the glands (not a big procedure!) and it will give the cat relief. Good Luck
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown