Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 3rd, 2014, 11:57 PM

neuter male cats?

OK hopefully this is in the right area. alright please note i have only had female cats...
How long does the selling last after they get fixed and does it still look like he has gonads????
Got Sylvester done last Friday the 28th and well it looks like he still got gonads. i know with male dogs you can tell right away if they are fixed or not before well they aren't there. but well i have no idea on Sylvester case.
I have never owned a male cat that stuck around.(lost one to a car and lost one in a move..)

So i was wondering if its normal for him to still look like he got them or should i be trying to get him into the vet. i've googled it and well i am getting different answer so was hoping people on here with male cats would give me an idea on what i should except and what not.
Old April 4th, 2014, 07:11 AM
Senior Contributor

Because of swelling some of ours looked bigger after a neuter than they did before. About a week of swelling but up to 6 months before they shrivelled up to nothing. Varies. I'd only Vet if swelling continues longer than a week or if he seems to be bothered and in pain. Or if swelling is really pronounced. Ours all seemed to not notice it at all.

LOL, cats used to be neutered by castration that completely removed the testicle and the scrotum. The first time we had one done that left the scrotum I was so mad at the Vet, thinking he hadn't done the neuter so what the heck had he done?