Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 11th, 2011, 05:56 PM

Unhappy Red Bumps on Cat's Lower Lip

Hi everyone! My nearly 4-year old cat has some sores that just showed up on her UPPER lip (sorry, couldn't edit the title). They sort of resemble human cold sores - they are in the corner of her mouth only on one side. A few months ago, she had a recurring case of what the vet thought was a corn allergy (we have weaned her off all dry food with corn or wheat in it and switched to the Breeze Litter system since we were using a corn-based litter too), which showed up in a sore on the inside of her upper lip on that same side. Since getting rid of the corn products, the original sore has virtually disappeared but now these little bumps are popping up.

Could it be another allergy? She is fine otherwise - happy, running around, drinking plenty, going to the bathroom, eating (a lot as usual), etc.

I tried to take a photo, but up close, it's hard to tell unless you're in person. And of course, she didn't like sitting still for the photo.

Last edited by snarkytea; January 12th, 2011 at 05:21 PM. Reason: typo
Old January 11th, 2011, 07:53 PM
-

The photo doesn't show up for me .....all I see is a red x.

I'm far from a cat expert but I was thinking rodent lip. I'm sure someone will be along soon that will be able to help you more.
Old January 12th, 2011, 08:32 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I too can't see the picture.

Yes, it is possible for allergies to pop up on cats during their adulthood. Did the vet mention your cat having Eosinophilic Granuloma Complex?

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/eosi...granuloma.html

What are you feeding your kitty? What type of bowl are they drinking and eating out of?

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old January 12th, 2011, 05:27 PM

Just updated the image URL. It should be loading now.

Thanks, guys! I had seen that article too and was thinking that might be it. The upper lip lesion certainly looks similar, though these new red bumps don't look like anything on that page.

She is fed out of a ceramic bowl, which I clean once every morning. The water is in a plastic bowl. I've read some things about using all ceramic instead of plastic, so could this be a problem maybe?

Food-wise, she is on a diet mix of Wellness canned food (the Chicken and Turkey flavors) and Fancy Feast's Turkey & Giblets canned food. In the mornings, we have an automatic feeder that dispenses Evo hard food (about 1/4 cup between her and another cat) so she won't bug us (when she doesn't eat, she likes to climb on us and wake us up heh).
Old January 19th, 2014, 03:05 PM

Sorry to bump an old thread. My cat has an identical issue on her lip. She has had other skin problems in the past on her paw. Should I be concerned? Should I consult a vet?

It doesn't seem to be changing her regular habits or causing her pain. I am leaning towards wait and see, but wanted to see if anyone with more knowledge then me wanted to weigh in.
Old January 20th, 2014, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmo View Post
Sorry to bump an old thread. My cat has an identical issue on her lip. She has had other skin problems in the past on her paw. Should I be concerned? Should I consult a vet?

It doesn't seem to be changing her regular habits or causing her pain. I am leaning towards wait and see, but wanted to see if anyone with more knowledge then me wanted to weigh in.
Welcome to the forum, pmo !

Well, pmo, I wouldn't be doing any waiting and watching.....

We never had a followup report from snarkytea , so there's no learning from that story.

I can assure you that, IF your cat's lesions are EGC, the earlier the treatment, the better.

Did you READ the article that Love4himies provided?

One more thing: all Vets are not 'created equal'. Many general practice Vets will either misdiagnose or mistreat EGC (that comes from my reading of other peoples' accounts on forums like this).

OTOH, most competent cat-only Vets will get an A++ in both categories!

Unlike snarkytea, hopefully you'll return and tell us the outcome!
Old February 25th, 2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSTYcat View Post
Welcome to the forum, pmo !

Well, pmo, I wouldn't be doing any waiting and watching.....

We never had a followup report from snarkytea , so there's no learning from that story.

I can assure you that, IF your cat's lesions are EGC, the earlier the treatment, the better.

Did you READ the article that Love4himies provided?

One more thing: all Vets are not 'created equal'. Many general practice Vets will either misdiagnose or mistreat EGC (that comes from my reading of other peoples' accounts on forums like this).

OTOH, most competent cat-only Vets will get an A++ in both categories!

Unlike snarkytea, hopefully you'll return and tell us the outcome!

Well I did take her to the vet and it wasn't of concern to her. She had said it was the results of fighting with another cat in the household. Over time it eventually healed up, but it looked awful in the process.

Thanks for all your help! I am glad I got it looked at.