Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old February 1st, 2004, 03:38 PM

Question Bluetick coonhound training issues

Hi I am a new member here, and one of my dogs is a Bluetick Coonhound, a breed that is bred for hunting. A lot of information out there is regarding that aspect of this breed. I was wondering if there are any other owners of Blueticks out there who have this breed strictly as a family pet. I would be interested on knowing how your overall experience has been. We have had a unique experience with our dog and had a difficult time with teaching certain manners. We are still working on leash pulling. When on leash our dog barks a lot at anyone walking by us and is a very strong puller. Any one out there with a coonhound have any suggestions?
Attached Images

Old February 1st, 2004, 04:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Hounds are not known for ease of training! Don't think I've seen one in obedience trials.

I dont' know a lot about hounds, but I have a dog with a pulling problem too, and I've only recently started to get it under control.

I suggest you get him into an obedience class, with a trainer who understands the breed, if you haven't already. This is also a dog who needs tons of exercise, as you probably know.

If you have any tracking clubs around, I'm sure he would enjoy that greatly,and it would give him a "job" to do.

For the pulling, I suggest a prong collar in conjunction with training.

He's a very beautiful boy!!
Old February 1st, 2004, 04:35 PM
Chocolate

HASHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA

LR is absolutely right!

Chocolate was voted must improved... and although he's a pointer and can point for as long as 5+ min, he can WILL make his own rules and go at his own speed.

they're extremely keen on noise & smell... that's how their attention strays...

& once they're on the trail of something... u've lost the attention completely!

Practice, Practice, PRACTICE

and have fun! I do... it's always great joy seeing them live THeir breed history out before your eyes... hahaha

Old February 1st, 2004, 10:44 PM

Thanks for your replies, I think you're right practice is they key.

At one point I vowed that I didn't care if my dog never got past our front yard, that we would turn around everytime she pulled. The only problem with that is that she really does need the exercise.

Fortunately for us we have a safe off leash area nearby our house for that.

it's nice to know I'm not the only one out there dealing with this.

Thanks and back to practicing!!
Old February 2nd, 2004, 09:26 AM
banned user

OMG what a gorgeous dog you have there!!!!!

Great advise from everyone..but I would like to add...for the pulling try the gentle leader. It's a face harness. Works great!!!!
Old February 2nd, 2004, 10:45 AM

re: gentle leader

We have a response collar (similar to the gentle leader) I used that on her and she really fought it (but didn't hate it because she let me put it on for the reward-her walk) . I guess the reason I don't like it is because she didn't really seem to transfer not pulling when on a regular leash. I just kind of felt it was a method to control her, which was great, but in the end I wanted her to learn not to pull. Also people who saw the big 80 lb dog with the collar on thought it was a muzzle and would avoid us!

I still have the collar though and it works great if we need an immediate fix (like going to the vet etc.).

Right now I am using a nylon choke collar and we have been using the clicker method of reward. I have to say that in an unstimulating environment (like right beside my house) she does fairly well. Our problem seems to be out in public where there are distractions. She really has a huge barking fit and really tries to pull at other dogs and it seems people percieve her as mean towards their dog. In reality she just really wants to see them. Off leash she doesn't appear the same way and doesn't have a problem with other dogs.
Old February 2nd, 2004, 12:06 PM
Senior Contributor

If you want to stick with a collar, I would use a prong and NOT a choke collar. Chokes do just that - "choke" - and can damage a dog's trachea, and really do not stop the pulling.

A prong collar is self-correcting and no yanking is needed.
Old February 2nd, 2004, 12:47 PM

The harness looks like an interesting product I think I might take a look at it thanks.

I have never used a prong collar could anyone point me to a website describing this product and it's advantages.

As for the nylon choke collar- I have from experience realized that fighting by pulling has not worked with this size of dog as really she is very strong. my method has been to reward with the clicker and food reward for walking in the correct position. when she pulls I hold steady and try to redirect her. I am reinforcing the positive and trying to make the bad more neutral by not getting into a tug of war. I am not really using it as a correction for what I don't want. It is just a bit more effective than just her normal collar, because what happens is a consequence of what she has done (pulling), not my directly punishing her like in some traditional training. I am really trying to motivate her to want to walk in an appropriate manner rather than punish.
Old February 2nd, 2004, 03:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Question.

When walking with her,are you teaching the "heel" command?
Old February 2nd, 2004, 03:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Here is a link that might help you.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/woof/tips/tip_08.html

another one

http://www.retrieversetc.com/heel.htm
Old February 2nd, 2004, 06:37 PM
Chocolate

the clicker method is a WONDERFUL idea...

even if u do tire yourself from it and stop using.

pick it up again, u'll be amazing at u'r dog's reaction once u start clicking all over again!!

as for a body harness... I'm not keen on believing these work. when Chocolate was younger, he would walk on his back legs...

meh.

not something I ever wanna go back to.

I choose the Gentle Lead WITHOUT a retractable, ANY DAY for two VERY self-motivating dogs.... lololol

Old June 24th, 2005, 06:22 PM

Very nice cooner you have there.
I'm quite surprised that your dog barks that much. I read, heard and experienced that coonhound are ruther quiet. When they do bark-thats another story. My neighbour was calling my puppy "Monster" based on voice.
I cant get Rocky (my cooner) to bark without a treat now. He barks only when threatened or after treeing one of neibourhoods squarrels or cats.( I have him on the leash and he got no chance at all to get them btw).
One thing he used to do that was a bit noisy was this trademark "Scooby Doo" houl aaa-uuuuuu-UUUUUUUU-uuuuuuu-UUUUUUUUU-uuuuu hehe, when someone left the house. Learn to stop on his own.
Never had a real problem with pulling too. Exept:
when small animals run . You must face it. Coonhound is the master hunter. And its in his blood. I deal with that by telling Rocky to Stop as soon as he lays his eyes on the target. But once a while he gets to chase a bit purely for exercize. If not for my endless patience , I would do pulling most of times. I mean, the beast will not walk by a tree without sniffing and marking it.
I got my Black & Tan Cooner when he was 3 months old. Now hes 11 months. It was an adventure at times but its all considered good times now.
Coonhound are great all around. But their hunting spirit must be always considered when outside.

Attached is my Black & Tan Coonhound Rocky.
Attached Images

Old June 25th, 2005, 01:12 AM
Senior Contributor

Handsome boy you have there.

I see he may have a mix of maybe a Lab??????
Old June 25th, 2005, 07:24 AM

No mix. Its a pic and hes 7 months on them.
He does have a bit short ears and brighter coat. Hes also taller and leaner looking than hes bros and sis.
He was breed by hunter for hunting. Hes mother is long eared, dark coated and lives in etobicoke while hes dad was brought from states and he was tall, brighter and Rocky is like hes daddy. I was told to give him time to really grow, and he still is. 11 months, 100lbs+, and I got to get some new pics.
ps. Sorry for stealing your thread Dee.
Attached Images

Old June 25th, 2005, 09:56 AM
Senior Contributor

Not mixed???

Hmmmm,I have never seen a Black and Tan Coonhound that had that colouring.The ones that I am used to seeing are the ones with the colouring of that of the Rottie/Dobe.Like these ones.And the breed standard is the same for all the Black and Tan Coonhounds.

http://www.fullmooncoonhounds.com/CurrentShowDogs.html
Old June 25th, 2005, 04:45 PM
Agility Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee_petlover
Hi I am a new member here, and one of my dogs is a Bluetick Coonhound, a breed that is bred for hunting. I was wondering if there are any other owners of Blueticks out there who have this breed strictly as a family pet. I would be interested on knowing how your overall experience has been. We have had a unique experience with our dog and had a difficult time with teaching certain manners. We are still working on leash pulling. When on leash our dog barks a lot at anyone walking by us and is a very strong puller. Any one out there with a coonhound have any suggestions?
Hi Dee,

While I don't have a coonhound I do own an American Foxhound and I have faced quite a few training challenges as well. There's nothing quite like training a hound !!!

When did you get your Coonhound? How old is she?? If you didn't get her as a young puppy and she came from hunting stock as oppose to showing (or even if you adopted her as on older pup) then I fully understand why you are having problems! I think that once a hound has been exposed to a hunting life (or a life without continuous obedience training) it's virtually impossible to mold them into obedient family pets!

I think your first step is to get yourself enrolled into obedience classes - if your hound is food or toy motivated you will have some success!

Dodger (my foxhound) was quite the puller as well and has only recently (11 months) learned that pulling is not acceptable! I started off with a halti, then just using a buckle collar and the "walk in the opposite direction of your pup until they start watching you and where you are going" - until Dodger FINALLY learned. Like you mentioned, it took awhile just to get down the driveway!! You sound like you are doing everything right - so just keep at it!

Dodger is a pet only, non-hunting dog but he doesn't believe it! He can be trusted off-leash but usually does take the opportunity to hunt (unless we are at the dog park). He hunted a fox throughout the winter but has since moved on to groundhogs, rabbits and deer. Does your hound try to hunt?

I don't think that there is much more anybody can suggest about the pulling and barking at other dogs because it sounds like you are right on track! Perhaps if you could meet up with other dogs, that are calmer and won't be intimidated by your coonhound that would be best. It might help calm your dog down around dogs. If your dog is toy motivated, try tugging with her around dog(s) until she realizes that you are more fun then dogs!

Also teach her the enough/quit command, first without distractions and then gradually increase the distractions. If she doesn't listen around distractions give her the benefit of the doubt and start again with minimal distractions. Eventually though, she will need to take responsibility for her actions, if her barking/pulling persists walk away from the distraction until she realizes that she doesn't get what she wants until she behaves.

I also taught Dodger, the attention command so that he would focus on me instead of distractions. Start applying it in the house, before you giver her food or walk out the door. Then try outside before you cross the street, with toys/food, people and eventually with dogs...it will take a while though!

I think that unless you are committed to an "intense" obedience schedule you won't see too much improvement. But keep in mind that with hounds (and probably most dogs) that less is often more. When your Dodger understands a command, I usually stop practicing and a week or so later I bring it back and Dodger is SO eager to continue!

He loves to track down treats in the house so maybe your hound will enjoy that too. Dodger also has a harness to pull things around with and a backpack to carry stuff in. He is also in obedience and agility training so it gives him lost of mental stimulation! If you can find an enjoyable job for your coonhound, and channel her energy and drive, I'm sure she will become a wonderful-obedient companion!
Sometimes formal obedience is not the best thing for hounds but many do excel at trick training - maybe give that a shot?!?!!

What's your dog's name? I would love to hear more about her - hounds are the best!!!

This is Dodger (almost a year old now!)
Attached Images

Old June 25th, 2005, 08:45 PM
banned user

I didn't say lab mix myself, I have difficulty identfying what are in mixed breed dogs. i can name alot of breeds, but when it comes to whats in a mix, its hard.
I didn't say he for sure was a mix, I said possibly, as he seems quite light colored to be a black and tan coonhound. You must admit look at your own pictures, he IS quite light colored for the breed.

It is rare to find a pure bred dog on this website, as most the people here are rescuers, who take in mixes from pounds all thet ime. The other thing, already mentioned, is that we have heard of ppl being told their animal is pure, and it turns out not to be pure.
Many on this website will state that any dogs that come from a reputable breeder, the breeder will register the dog before relasing to the new owner. The fact that he has not been registered, sets off alarms that he might not be pure.

Its not important if he is pure or not, you love him, and he is beautiful.
Old June 26th, 2005, 12:45 PM
Senior Contributor

The link from the reputable breeder was me showing the colouring of a B/T Coonhound.Yes the pics are of show dogs.But guess what,show or not show,that's what a PB B/T Coonhound looks like.Even a "pet".I have been a member of the CKC for MANY years now.So I know what a PB looks like.And I am sorry to say,yours is not.

I have a PB GSD.He comes from Ch/Titled lines.He is not a Show dog.But guess what,he still looks like a PB.His colouring is no different.

Check out this link.This will prove my point.These are NOT show dogs.These are "pets"..Notice they still have the same colouring as a show dog?Now remember some of these are mixes.

http://coonhound.100megsdns.com/Happy/Happy.htm
Old February 26th, 2007, 12:03 AM

bluetick coonhound questions

I am a new member as well...we are the proud owner of a 9 month old 85 pound and still growing bluetick coonhound....he is beautiful and smart but quite a handful on the days I can't spend a large amount of time playing and running with him..we are having some trouble with his manners inside because he doesn't realize how big and powerful he is and sometimes he knocks everything down in his path.. the gentle lead collar has seemed to help a lot with his pulling on walks.. I would love to be able to trust him more inside the house and others have suggested sending him to a board and train facility to help with his manners inside?? has anyone else had any experience with these training facilities? He is a member of our family and I am concerned about sending him to a new environment where I wont be. Any information would be great..
Attached Images

Old August 23rd, 2010, 02:51 PM

Thinking about adding a rescue pup (Bluetick Coonhound) to our lives

Hi,
I'm new to this forum and we currently have a 9 yr. old Border Collie/Aussie mix female. She's a sweet girl and our only dog (Amy). We also have a 10 year old Senegal parrot.
We are thinking about introducing a 6 month old rescue Bluetick coonhound/mix to our household but don't want to create too much stress for our little furgirl (we've always been a one dog at a time family).

This pup is 6 mos. old and has been living with mom and sibs in shelter since shortly after birth. She is very sweet and seems pretty calm. I think she would adjust well to us. She would be an indoor dog and we have a fenced yard. I walk our Amy daily (at least 2 miles) so new pup would be walked daily, too.

How best can we introduce our Amy to new pup (Suzie) and help Amy adjust to Suzie presence into her domain?

Thanks for any suggestions!
Old October 16th, 2011, 11:23 PM

Smile Blue Tick Training Issue

I was reading some of the post's about the Blue Tick Hounds; I inherited a 9 month old from a family friend who had health issues.

I was having issue's with running for miles and not listening, even worse he is gun shy and will run three miles on a car back firing.

I started with a 50 foot rope, harness, leather gloves, and a cap gun, and lot's of dog parks.

The 50 foot rope I tied around my waste and the leather gloves are to keep your skin from being burned off. When Buddy got to 50 feet and pulled I just stopped until Buddy let off; then started walking again. Then started introducing the cap gun with the same outcome. Now he will run circles or trails around 50 feet, will stop, sit, and stay when told. I use him now after hunting hours to retrieve lost game in corn fields, he loves it and will run through anything once on a scent.

Walking I used at the suggestion of another hounds man to use a very small metal choke collar; this worked well and my 10 year old son can walk him with no worries.

I take this hound every where in the back of the truck, I made a hefty chain that ties to the harness and he can just get his head over the edge and he can stand on his front legs to look over the truck and bawl.

Now the not running out of the house part was the most difficult, and i had to resort to a very short use of a shock collar, with a vibrator. Now I have a hound that does not leave the yard not even for another animal. He just goes to the edge of the grass and will not cross the property line. And listens to everyone even my 6 year old son when told to sit and stay.

I will alway's own a hound from here on out great family, house dog, hunter, and very loyal. This being said don't come into my back yard without going through the front door. He is very protective and has only gotten more since he matured.

I hope this helps, great dog!!
JRas