Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old March 21st, 2008, 05:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Why me!!!!

So i got a phone call from Front st apts(low income) i am next on the list ,my rent would only be 735.00 a month,BUT ,PETS ARE NOT ALLOWED,so they said if i can get a shrink(has to be a shrink) to write a document showing why i need her for my anxiety and take her to vet and have them also give me papaers that she is a service animal,i can move in with her,well my shrink said NO i am soooooooooooo upset and pissed,she said my cat is causing me anxiety and she knows plenty of people that live in low incone and gave up there pets,i told her she is all i have and losing her would cause me anxiety,she disagreed,so i am just baffled that doctors have NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO PROBLEMS writing prescriptions for pills but not for me to keep my pet,i am just speechless,and so upset,700.00 a month would make my life perfect,and it just isnt gonna happen,and i am trying to just act like they never called to tell me i can move in,but it is just killing me,i am sick of struggling everyday.had to vent,any shrinks out there !!!!!!!!!
Old March 21st, 2008, 06:24 PM

Heidi,
for every problem there is a solution! Can you not find a new shrink that would write you the papers? Even if a new doctor is more expensive, in the long run you would save money....just a thought.
Old March 21st, 2008, 06:34 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Oh Heidiho! That sucks! what timing eh! But listen everything happens for a reason! thats why you have Roxy! I am thinking it must mean there is something better yet to come! Dont worry too much just a bit more patience and it will pay off! you and Roxy have been together to long now..Stay strong!

Hey how about a recent pciture of your sweetie!

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old March 21st, 2008, 07:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Is your doctor trying to get you to give up Roxie?? Isn't she willing to consider that having lower rent might help ease some anxiety. Since you're not going to give her up she might as well sign the paper and help you alleviate the rent anxiety. I would definitely make a few phone callse, ask around, see who would be willing to write you that note.
Old March 21st, 2008, 09:08 PM
Senior Contributor

I dont know what she was thinking but honestly i hate her,and i am not even sure why i posted this,cause i am in disbelief that she said no,and that i am gonna misss this opportunity to live there,places for 735.00 that are nice just dont happen here,and before i start dwelling obsessively i should just let this go,and just face the facts that it isnt happening,he needs an answer by monday and well i cant get all this done on a holiday weekend,anyway thanks for letting me vent.
Old March 21st, 2008, 09:19 PM
Senior Contributor

He needs an answer or he needs the actual paper? Tell him you'll take it and then talk to your medical doctor about a new shrink ASAP. Stall about the letter if you can. Tell him you had trouble getting the letter because of the holiday weekend--which is true, because it's hard to find a new doctor over the weekend. Gosh, my MIL has a shrink who says whatever my MIL tells her to say I think. And my mother had a doctor who prescribed valium because she was having trouble breathing. Well duh ! She has emphysema. The breathing problem was her lungs not her nerves but he knew she liked the valium so when she was in the hospital he was having her get it 4 times a day AND he let her keep beer in the nurses fridge and have that whenever she wanted !!!

A letter saying that your cat relieves stress shouldn't be that hard for your doctor !! She sounds like a control freak to me !
Old March 22nd, 2008, 12:57 AM

Heidiho, my only advice is to take a few minutes and count your blessings. I don't know anything of your circumstances but things can always be worse. In 6 months, this problem will probably be over, one way or another. Hopefully, with a good outcome. I hope you don't think I'm trying to oversimplify it but have learned to stop and count my blessings, now and then. I have a son in his early 30's with ADHD and a 90% hearing loss. He struggles every day. I've learned that we can't always choose what is going to happen to us in life but hopefully today is part of the bigger scheme of the universe. Sounds corny but it works for me. Good luck and hope it all works out for you!!!
Old March 22nd, 2008, 07:45 AM

Call all the shrinks in the phonebook and tell them your situation. Tell them you need a letter. Someone will come through.

Your shrink doesn't represent everyone else.
Old March 22nd, 2008, 08:53 AM
Garden nut

Contact the psychology center of the nearest university. I'm sure there are professors there that have licenses to practice but choose to teach instead.

There are ways around every problem.

Offer a bit of "incentive" $$.
Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper
Old March 22nd, 2008, 09:13 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Sounds like your doctor is out of touch with the reality of those humans that become very attached to their animals (probably with those who live with the stress of being in a lower income bracket too). There is no skin off her back if she wrote the letter or not, so why would she refuse, it is not like she is lying.

I second catsnatcher's advice.

Good luck

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 22nd, 2008, 02:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes me too. Do what Catsnatcher suggested and work the phones !! One time I needed to find a doctor to give my daughter her meningitis vaccine. (Our insurance had changed and her pediatrician wasn't on the plan. No other pediatricians would give it to her because she was leaving for college which meant that she wouldn't be their patient after the one visit)

I spent HOURS on the phone but I finally tracked down someone who said sure, bring her in for the shot. There has GOT to be someone there who knows that having a pet to love is good for relieving stress.
Old March 22nd, 2008, 03:11 PM

I agree your doctor is not being realistic. If a cat makes you comfortable and less anxious I can't see why he can't write a note explaining this. I would do as suggested, take the apartment and find another doc to write the note for you. There are plenty of understanding psychologists out there or psychiatrists. Until you get the note maybe someone could take your cat in so you wouldn't be breaking the law.
Old March 22nd, 2008, 04:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Wow, I can't believe your doctor would say your cat is the cause of your anxiety. I have some experience with shrinks like that, I just stopped going. I didn't find another shrink, but if your circumstances warrant it, do that. Just get another doctor, there are plenty out there and I'm sure you will find one that is more understanding than your present one.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old March 22nd, 2008, 06:03 PM
Senior Contributor

I truthfully cant comprehend why she wont do it,but yet had no problems giving me meds awhile ago to help me sleep,not sure who wrote that i should jsut count my blessings,but that is what i am trying to do,i just put an application at a restaurant as a hostess,(that will make it 3 jobs i have to work)so i dont have to keep struggling each week,just kills me that i wouldnt have had to if she would of done this,my god it is so i can keep my pet not a prescription for heroin,just really pisses me off,and as for the other advice there really just isnt enough time to find one,make an appt,and convince them to do this,he needs answer by monday,and it is actually stressing me out more to even try and get this all done,it is just to short of a notice,i cant get all this done.So i am just gonna try and let it go.
Old March 22nd, 2008, 06:39 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Hey Heidiho I think your 100 % right! How is Roxy doing?

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old March 22nd, 2008, 07:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Heidi, ask him to keep your name on the list, explain why you have to turn him down this time - that you are not about to give up your cat and are trying to get him registered as a companion animal - maybe he'll cut you some slack. Then you can get busy finding a new doctor. Is your shrink always this aggressive? I'd definitely look around for someone a bit more sympathetic.
Can your GP sign? A psychologist?
Try not to lose it with anyone you need on your side, be cool and strategic, always thnking about the ultimate goal. Yah, it's unfair, but you'll succeed in the end.

Last edited by badger; March 22nd, 2008 at 07:24 PM.
Old March 23rd, 2008, 02:51 PM
Senior Contributor

I am gonna do that,call him and tell him it is just to short of a notice to please keep me on list,and i will work on getting all this done,but it took a year to get called so it will be ahwile before i am up again,and no i didnt thnink she was like this,but i guess she would rather just have me take pills instead,really gets to me.what a huge burden that would of been lifted off my shoulders financially,but i guess no sense in being mad it isnt gonna change anything,.
Old March 23rd, 2008, 09:47 PM

Just don't tell them about Roxy until after you move in and by then, you'll have a letter from your new shrink saying you have to keep her..it is not like sneaking in a barking dog, now, is it
Old March 23rd, 2008, 11:39 PM
Senior Contributor

I almost think your shrink would rather her patients stay anxious - job security, you know?
Old March 24th, 2008, 01:48 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Some doctors believe that only meds can make you better. However there are many documented articles on the health benefits of owning a pet, including reducing blood pressure.

What would happen if you moved in and sneaked Roxy in?

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 24th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Senior Contributor

That's a thought. I lived in my old apartment for several months with Vlad and Oksana and nobody ever suspected. You can always maybe have someone watch her for a few days while you move in, then bring her home. In the meantime you can look for a doctor that will be a little more sympathetic to your issues and not try to feed you drugs.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/