Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Senior cats

Old June 1st, 2009, 10:18 PM
Senior Contributor

glad to hear howie is doing well and may have a longer life then everyone first thought. i wish you luck in everything and look foward to reading more about him

Cats leave pawprints on our hearts forever

Eclipse July 23th 2004
Serena July 23th 2004
Stormy April 20 2007
Zoey RIP March 2006-April 2 2007
Old June 1st, 2009, 10:32 PM

To Growler,

The links you sent to me are great.

One was particularly disturbing to me, which discussed introducing agents that change DNA and can lead to cancer. Howie has always been fed, locked in our downstairs bathroom, because he's basically a pig and will eat everyone else's food rather than his own. We often use odor eliminator in the bathroom without thinking that his food dish would be contaminated with the chemicals. Sometimes, I should say most times, Howie is in such a rush to eat, and instead of rinsing and cleaning his dish we've just plopped the food into it. I wonder if we've contributed to his cancer in this way? From now on, all our cats dishes will be cleaned well and we won't be using the spray because we store our dry cat food in close proximity to the bathroom.

“The soul is the same in all living creatures, although the body of each is different.”—Hippocrates
Old June 1st, 2009, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicwildwolf69 View Post
glad to hear howie is doing well and may have a longer life then everyone first thought. i wish you luck in everything and look foward to reading more about him
Awww...thanks so much! He's such a sweet, loving boy! I always tell my husband that if Howie were a person, he would be our best friend!

“The soul is the same in all living creatures, although the body of each is different.”—Hippocrates
Old June 1st, 2009, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithduke View Post
To Growler,

The links you sent to me are great.

One was particularly disturbing to me, which discussed introducing agents that change DNA and can lead to cancer. Howie has always been fed, locked in our downstairs bathroom, because he's basically a pig and will eat everyone else's food rather than his own. We often use odor eliminator in the bathroom without thinking that his food dish would be contaminated with the chemicals. Sometimes, I should say most times, Howie is in such a rush to eat, and instead of rinsing and cleaning his dish we've just plopped the food into it. I wonder if we've contributed to his cancer in this way? From now on, all our cats dishes will be cleaned well and we won't be using the spray because we store our dry cat food in close proximity to the bathroom.
The woman who wrote that site also did the main kidney failure site I refer to often, all of it has been learned through her personal experience & research.

There are so many possibilites of things that can lead to various illnesses in animals & people too, even things that are designed to make life easier - like the cat food cans with pop top lids - the inner lining of the can when exposed to the air releases chemicals that have been linked to causing Hyperthyroidism in cats, same with fire retardant material.

So many innocent little things we didn't know about might have contributed to cancer, but then it also could be genetic - which means it would've happened anyways I would say cancer is the hardest to pinpoint because no one really knows where it comes from or why some get it & others don't The only thing we can do is try to change the outcome by learning from our own & other's experiences in order to lessen the impact of what we didn't know. You are already stepping in the right direction

Many many for a great outcome for Howie

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old June 1st, 2009, 11:54 PM

Growler, I totally agree with everything you said. After our Dillon and Kitty had passed and since Howie's diagnosis, we've been giving our cats Wellness canned cat food and Core dry food only. I knew they'd love the canned food but I was worried they wouldn't enjoy the dry. So far, they've been choosing the dry food over canned. We have a Maine Coon and she loves flaked fish food! She goes absolutely nuts when we feed the fish so one day we decided to give her a taste. It's now her favorite treat. Core dry food has a very similar odor to the fish flakes and all our kitties love it! Thanks to all who recommended Wellness food!

Old June 2nd, 2009, 12:10 AM

and all your cats are healthier now for that little bit of knowledge

I wish I had known two years ago what I do now about holistic and raw cat food

Old June 2nd, 2009, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by growler View Post
and all your cats are healthier now for that little bit of knowledge

I wish I had known two years ago what I do now about holistic and raw cat food

Agreed!

Old June 2nd, 2009, 07:41 AM
Senior Contributor

Smithduke,I respect your decision 100%
About 15yrs ago 2 of my cats had cancer,but the discovery was too late for any treatment:sad:
Now,with my 3 cats,I am much more aware and always check for strange lumps..more aware of everything really,food,environment..
Even switched vet,because I did not feel right with my old vets.
for Howie and you on Thursday
Old June 2nd, 2009, 12:10 PM

Thanks Chico!

I too wish that we had given Kitty chemo before it was too late. Even though she died when she was 21, I think chemo would have given her a few more years. Yesterday I just suddenly broke down over her death, again. When I took her to the vet it was as if she knew what was happening and was at peace, unless she was too sick to care.

We tried switching vets this past year but realized our old vet was the best choice for us. We started going to him in 1988 when Kitty was a kitten and he was just in his first year of practice. In 1993 we moved 30 miles away but it's worth the ride. We use a different vet for our guinea pigs because our "cat" vet isn't the right fit for them. People, aka neighbors, think I'm crazy to drive that far yet they ask my advice on their animals.

Old June 2nd, 2009, 04:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Smithduke,I would drive 30 miles for a vet I know and trust for sure,so you are not crazy
But luckily we have a vet in every streetcorner(well,not really)and I have found a vet I was recommended whom I really love.
Apparently cats/dogs are not bothered by chemo as much as people,hope that goes for Howie too
Old June 2nd, 2009, 10:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Awww...thanks so much! He's such a sweet, loving boy! I always tell my husband that if Howie were a person, he would be our best friend!
even though they aren't humans or people i still consider my cats my best friends well maybe except eclipse...who likes to bite me a lot....

Cats leave pawprints on our hearts forever

Eclipse July 23th 2004
Serena July 23th 2004
Stormy April 20 2007
Zoey RIP March 2006-April 2 2007
Old June 2nd, 2009, 11:09 PM

Magic, the cats that bite you are the best! They keep you guessing...one minute they hate you and the next they're loving you! Mine have bitten me from time to time! My most traumatic moment was when my Dillon, who had never, ever, shown any aggression before, came home from the vet after being spayed. I picked her up to love her and comfort her and she promptly bit me in the neck, hard!!! When she did that, I cried, not from the pain, but from hurt feelings!!

Still, when my cats bite, I know I've gone too far and I have respect their space!

I definitely don't treat my cats as humans and allow them to be cats. Even so, I can see their personality. All animals have personalities and that's what I love about them!

Last edited by smithduke; June 2nd, 2009 at 11:13 PM.
Old June 11th, 2009, 10:50 AM

mari1

This a reply to Smithduke. A lot of people may not go that extra mile in treating their cat with cancer, not because they don't want to, it's because they don't have the financial means to do it. Our cat has a large tumor in her mouth. Treatment is out of the question because we don't have the money. Plus having her go through all that would just make her more miserable. For now were going to keep her comfortable as long as we can till its time to put her to sleep.
Old June 11th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Senior Contributor

mari,sorry to hear about your kitty and you are right,not everyone has the money,or someone to borrow from,I wish more vets would give a payment-plan.
My vet does,but maybe only to people he knows are good for it.

Smithduke,it's Thursday how did the vet-visit go
Old June 11th, 2009, 05:05 PM

Mari1, I'm so sorry! My intention wasn't to offend anyone by my statement. Let me rephrase: I admire people, who have the means, and opt for chemo. Even then, it may not be the best choice for some!

Even though we have the money to get Howie chemo, it was still a tough decision for my hubby, mainly because of the amount of money it will cost. It took some major convincing, begging, crying, etc. for him to agree to it. Howie is fifteen and in great shape, other than cancer, but he's still fifteen. Hubby is more logical than I am, and I'd probably be broke right now if it wasn't for him!!

Like you, we didn't have our cat treated for her cancer and we had to make the decision to say goodbye a few weeks ago. My sympathy goes out to you and your kitty! I wish you didn't have to go through this and I hope she's still comfortable! My cat had a tumor on her leg which spread to her eye, back leg and lymph nodes. Still, in your case it must be a much more difficult situation to go through because the tumor is in her mouth and affects her eating. My heart goes out to you!!

Chico,

We're going to start Howie's chemo next week. The first four appointments will be in and out, and he'll have to stay in the entire day for the last one. That treatment will cause vomiting, but they'll give him something to counteract that. Otherwise he shouldn't have many symptoms. If his stools start to become solid, we'll know that the chemo took. Howie has been so lovable towards me, more than usual. He comes into bed and lays his paws on my neck and puts his head next to mine. If I'm talking to him and stop, he touches my mouth as if to say, "keep going"!

I'll keep you up-to-date.

Old June 12th, 2009, 12:15 AM

Everyone here at pets.ca will be sending out lots and lots of for Howie next week

Old June 12th, 2009, 08:08 AM
Senior Contributor

Smithduke,it's strange you should say that.
My Sammy who had cancer, would in his last few weeks sleep right by my head,something he never did before,but he was very,very sick in the end.
It was almost like he said good-bye to me.
I am not saying that's what Howie is doing,but I believe they can feel something is up and he gets great comfort from you.
With all the love and good vibes we are sending him,I am sure he'll do great with the chemosomething that was not an option for my Sammy.
Old June 12th, 2009, 11:12 AM

Hi Chico,

I'm sure it's the good vibes and love that have been sent to him!

Before Howie got sick I have to admit he was very annoying, but funny! He'd meow constantly to wake us up for breakfast and knock things off the night stand until we got out of bed. My rings and chapstick would be all over the floor! If that didn't work, he'd attack our Maine Coon, Sula. It was all noise and no one would ever get hurt. Sula became afraid of Howie, so of course he had to attack her whenever he wanted attention from us! LOL. There were times that I had to yell at him to stop or lock him in the bedroom so he was out of my hair.

Since Howie's illness, he's calmed down a lot and has become more lovable. I'm much more affectionate with him because I realize my time with him is shorter than I'd hoped. :sad: It opened my eyes to what a special, smart, funny cat Howie is! He obviously senses the change in me and is letting me know how much it means to him! Plus he's getting yummy Wellness food. Food is Howie's life!!!

He's such a good boy!! We named him Howie after Howard Stern, because they're both bad boys!!

Old June 12th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Catlover2

So sorry to hear of the biopsy results, but delighted to hear that "Howie" seems to have a "new lease on life" with a change in his food. I switched my cats to Wellness as well, and altho they weren't sick, they do have more energy and are happier.

He certainly sounds like a much happier cat now, and hope the chemo treatments will be successful and give him and you many more wonderful years together. Howie sounds like quite a character!
Old June 12th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Senior Contributor

smithduke,you have a Maine Coon too?
I LOVE Maine Coons,if you have the time and the inclination,could we see a pic of Sula,she must be beautiful.
I had a Maine Coon once many,many yrs ago,brown Tabby colors,he was a beauty,but only lived 3 yrs:sad:
Old June 12th, 2009, 05:43 PM

Thanks Catlover2. Since Howie's been on the Wellness, he's stopped vomiting but the diarrhea is still just as bad. He only has it once a day, but I think that's all I'd be able to take!!! I read that cancer will feed on carbohydrates so I give him Core dry food as well. Howie seems much happier and less lethargic. Yes, he's quite a character to say the least!!! Just a quick story...Howie likes to play fetch with a fuzzy ball. It's a lot of fun but he likes to bring us the ball in the middle of the night while we're sleeping. I'll pretend to be asleep and I'll hear the ball drop a few times. I know he's dropping the ball and pushing it towards me so I'll pick it up. Still ignoring him, I'll suddenly feel this saliva filled ball on my face. When I open my eyes, Howie will give me a head butt and rub his drooly mouth on my eye.

He also opens up the little trash can in the bathroom to pick out the Q-Tips that have ear wax on them and then licks them.

Chico,

Here's a pic of Sula. She's also a character!!! I think she's the most intelligent cat I've ever had! Sula came from two abusive homes before we got her. I begged the women who had her last, to let me keep her! Her kids were hitting her, teasing her and when Sula hid, the kids would poke her with a toy sword. She's a biter but we know "the look" before she can get us! LOL. We never reprimand Sula because she just needs time to trust. She's much better than when we first got her.

I can never get a photo of Sula that doesn't have white eyes. Red eye doesn't fix it.

Last edited by smithduke; June 12th, 2009 at 05:52 PM.
Old June 12th, 2009, 07:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Sula is a stunner, and you're an angel for rescuing her from those brats.

Quote:
Since Howie's been on the Wellness, he's stopped vomiting but the diarrhea is still just as bad.
Have you ever tried mixing some slippery elm bark powder into Howie's food? I had a cat with severe IBD and the only thing that helped firm up his poop was about 1/4 tsp of SEB 2 or 3 times a day.

Quote:
I read that cancer will feed on carbohydrates so I give him Core dry food as well.
While Core is certainly lower in carbs than most dry foods, it's still more than an acceptable amount at 11% of calories (cats in the "wild" eat less than 5% carbs). If it's a matter of making Howie happy than of course he should be spoiled rotten, but otherwise I'd try to minimize the amount of Core he eats. An all wet food diet is preferable.

Quote:
Howie seems much happier and less lethargic.
Fantastic!

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old June 12th, 2009, 10:07 PM

[QUOTE=sugarcatmom;790032]Sula is a stunner, and you're an angel for rescuing her from those brats.

I know you would have done it too, but thanks! She's a wonderful and quirky cat. I actually trained her to sit, stay and come! My husband,who was underwhelmed with Sula at first, now loves her and swears Sula is going to say actual words one day because she's that intelligent! Unfortunately she's become a tad "large" and hasn't been grooming herself very well. Don't let anyone tell you Maine Coon's don't need constant grooming! Because Sula is "quirky" and bites, she will only let us brush her head and shoulders. Anywhere else is off limits. She started to get very matted under her armpits and belly. I discovered she loved fish food and I was able to trim some of the mats while she ate the fish food up. Even so, her fur was still so matted that I took her to the vet to get shaved. She looked so adorable afterward. I'll send a pic.

Have you ever tried mixing some slippery elm bark powder into Howie's food? I had a cat with severe IBD and the only thing that helped firm up his poop was about 1/4 tsp of SEB 2 or 3 times a day.

Thanks! Do they like the taste? Howie is very picky when it come to things like that. I have never been able to give him medicine, liquid or pills. One time when Howie was in the hospital for a urinary tract blockage, the vet (not our regular vet because it was an emergency) said he wrestled with him for 1/2 hour and still couldn't give him the meds. It was a Sunday and he actually had to call in an vet tech to help.

While Core is certainly lower in carbs than most dry foods, it's still more than an acceptable amount at 11% of calories (cats in the "wild" eat less than 5% carbs). If it's a matter of making Howie happy than of course he should be spoiled rotten, but otherwise I'd try to minimize the amount of Core he eats. An all wet food diet is preferable.

So, even that little amount of carbs could affect the way his cancer does or doesn't metastasize? No dry food ever for Howie....ever? We do give him cooked chicken breast every night so he's definitely spoiled!

Thanks again for all your advice!

Old June 12th, 2009, 10:42 PM

Here's a photo of Sula shaved. Although she looks miserable, she was much more comfy with her new look! We've almost sat on her a few times because she is the exact color of our sofa, or as we say it the U.S., couch! . Can you see the "devil" in her eyes? She's really a very nice cat...I swear!!! LOL!

I told you Maine Coon's sleep in odd positions! Where is Sula??

The vet left fur on Sula's head and neck and legs. Too cute!!!

Old June 12th, 2009, 10:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Thanks! Do they like the taste?
Some cats do, some don't. It's not a particularly strong or offensive taste, maybe slightly sweet. Whenever my cat needs a dose of SEB (works for constipation as well), I mix a small amount (1/4 tsp or less) into an extra tasty treat like chicken baby food or plain yogurt. He's also very picky but doesn't usually mind it this way.

Quote:
So, even that little amount of carbs could affect the way his cancer does or doesn't metastasize? No dry food ever for Howie....ever? We do give him cooked chicken breast every night so he's definitely spoiled!
Fresh chicken is an excellent treat to give Howie. My cat loves it ever so slightly broiled in the oven for a minute. Just enough to bring out the flavours and aroma, but not enough to cook it completely.

I can't say whether feeding Core is going to have any effect on the cancer one way or the other. If Howie really loves it and you think he does better with a small amount in his diet, than who am I to say he shouldn't get any. But the truth is that dry food is heavily processed and starchy, kinda like breakfast cereal, and doesn't offer a cat any benefits. It's mostly just a human convenience.

Those "nudie" pics of Sula are great!

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old June 12th, 2009, 11:52 PM

Sugurcat,

Sula's quite the sexy girl isn't she?

On a more serious note, the Chinese proverb on your posts: "To close your eyes will not ease another's pain." made a big impact on our decision to finally let our Kitty cross over. My hubby didn't want to do it and didn't think it was her time. With Chico's advise and the proverb, I decided that it was time, so I took her myself. It was my first experience taking a beloved pet to be put to sleep. Kitty somehow knew what was happening and just seemed to accept her fate. She was so dehydrated that the vet had a hard time finding a vein. When he went up further in her thigh, he started the injection. I wanted to scream "STOP" but I knew it wasn't the right thing to do. As he gave Kitty her injection she sat up suddenly. I asked the vet why she did that and he said it was because she probably felt whoosy. For me, that was the most upsetting moment of the whole ordeal! Did she feel pain? Was she afraid? Thoughts were running through my head and then, Kitty was gone! I hate to cry in front of anyone but at that moment I knew that was it! I wept out loud, which I've never done in front of strangers. The thought running through my head was, "I can't believe I've allowed this to happen to her and I've put put her life in my hands" It literally felt like I was dreaming! I stayed with her, kissed her and told her how sorry I was. It was hard to leave her laying there on the table!

I'm so sorry that I went off on a tangent but it actually feels good to voice my feelings! Since I took Kitty, I've been very quiet about her passing for reasons I don't really understand myself.

Something very strange happened last week that has never happened before. I was making lunch for my daughter and reached up onto the baker's rack where I stored a box of Cheez-It's. I suddenly heard Kitty's meow. Kitty didn't have a "meow" but a "brrrrkow" sound. Not thinking, I actually stepped aside to let Kitty through and then I realized what I was doing. I thought it was the floor squeaking so I tried to duplicate it several times since. Nothing sounded even similar. As a matter of fact, I was never able to get a sound out of the exact movement I made when I heard her.

Why would Kitty's spirit be with me over the other cats, family members, loved one's, etc.? I don't know the answer but I really think it was Kitty. Hopefully I don't sound crazy. Maybe it was wishful thinking but if that were the case, than I would have "heard" from the other cats that have passed on. I would have loved to have them "visit" me also but it never happened.

I have babbled on way too much tonight!!! I must have been in the mood to release all my emotions from the past few months. If there's anywhere I know someone will understand, it's here.

P.S. Forgive any typo's but I don't feel like going back to review and I'm tired and spent!

Old June 13th, 2009, 07:02 AM
Senior Contributor

Smithduke,Sula is beautiful,the same coloring as my Tigger had,I can see the little"devil"in her eyes
Nekkid Sula is kind of funny,but I bet she felt relief,she seems to hide her face in embarrassment though,but still beautiful
Thank's for the pics
Your telling about Kitty,got me teary-eyed,remembering having to send 4 of my cats to the Bridge myself.
I think it's very important for us to be there when they pass,the last person they see is the one they know and love.

As for hearing Kitty,she is just telling you she's ok and you did the right thing
Shortly after my Sammy had passed,I could still "see"him in his favorite chair,could still"feel"him in bed with me,but that's normal,I think.
They are small creatures,but their presence is huge and we love them forever
Old June 13th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
If there's anywhere I know someone will understand, it's here.
I totally agree, the understanding and compassion on this board is phenomenal. Your story of Kitty brought tears to my eyes and reminded me of when I had to PTS my cat, Egypt, several years ago. He had been very sick for over a month with IBD. It wasn't supposed to kill him. But several thousands of dollars later, it was clear he was only getting weaker and sicker, and one morning he gave me "the look". It pierced my heart like a sword but I knew instantly what I had to do. My husband and I couldn't get him to the vet fast enough. I don't know how he was able to drive through the tears but thank goodness he was there because I was a complete mess. Took me a long time to recover from his death. I take solace in knowing that a bit of his soul is in his brother, Aztec, who has adopted some of Egypt's characteristics since his death.

It's never an easy decision, even when it's clear what you have to do. My heart goes out to you for your loss of Kitty and for the struggles you're facing with Howie.

Old June 13th, 2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Your telling about Kitty,got me teary-eyed,remembering having to send 4 of my cats to the Bridge myself.

It never gets easier!

As for hearing Kitty,she is just telling you she's ok and you did the right thing
Shortly after my Sammy had passed,I could still "see"him in his favorite chair,could still"feel"him in bed with me,but that's normal,I think.
They are small creatures,but their presence is huge and we love them forever
I hope I wasn't imagining it. Wouldn't it be wonderful if we heard from everyone that we ever lost to let us know they're ok? Just like in Ghost Whisperer, one of my favorite shows!

Old June 13th, 2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
I totally agree, the understanding and compassion on this board is phenomenal. Your story of Kitty brought tears to my eyes and reminded me of when I had to PTS my cat, Egypt, several years ago. He had been very sick for over a month with IBD. It wasn't supposed to kill him. But several thousands of dollars later, it was clear he was only getting weaker and sicker, and one morning he gave me "the look". It pierced my heart like a sword but I knew instantly what I had to do. My husband and I couldn't get him to the vet fast enough. I don't know how he was able to drive through the tears but thank goodness he was there because I was a complete mess. Took me a long time to recover from his death. I take solace in knowing that a bit of his soul is in his brother, Aztec, who has adopted some of Egypt's characteristics since his death.

It's never an easy decision, even when it's clear what you have to do. My heart goes out to you for your loss of Kitty and for the struggles you're facing with Howie.

That's exactly how it felt! My hubby and I were talking and we both felt like we were putting them to death! In our minds we know it's the right thing to do, but our heart and conscience, tell us otherwise.

I think I've said this on another post but it bears repeating. My sister has been a ICU nurse for years and she finds it so hard to watch someone suffer, waiting to die. Although medications are much better than they used to be to keep patients comfortable, it's still a terrible thing. When Dr. Kevorkian was charged with murder she and many of the doctors in the hospital agreed that he was actually doing a great public service for the people he helped pass on. My sister says pets are the lucky ones because when the pain gets to be too much for them, we can help them take it away.