Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old December 1st, 2004, 09:39 PM

She looked right at me, squatted and peed!

Since Allie came to live with me in July I have been struggling with her "disposal in the house". At first it was all the time peeing and pooping in the house while I was gone. She would leave these little "presents" for me at the door when I walked in or in a favorite spot of her choice. As I realized this was due to separation anxiety and worked with that it became less often. Recently though if I am not home from work by a certain time she pee's on my area rug. So I started to lift it up when I left. This seemed to work until I came home today and she had peed in a corner of my room. She goes out often but will only pee at certain times in the day. To top it all off I was watching tv the other night before bed and she got up looked right at me, squatted and peed right on the rug in front of me. The problem is that I don't think she knows she is mis-behaving by peeing in the house. I think in her mind it registers that if she is not outside then she can pee wherever she wants. I have tried many things to stop her (ie-positive re-inforcement when she pees outside or when she holds it until I come home, sending her to her "bad corner" after she has done it and even a little tabasco sauce on the tongue). I am getting to the point now where I think nothing I do will work. She was diagnosed with spay incontinence but I thought this only affected her with dripping. She has seperation anxiety really bad and sometimes even loses control when I walk in the door. Does anyone know how I can get it to register to her that it is not ok to pee in the house? She is house-trained but I think her problem is deeper than just bladder control at this point. She seems to have this type of behaviour on the days that she goes for shorter walks and still has some energy pent up. Any ideas???
Old December 1st, 2004, 11:27 PM
Senior Contributor

I just have to ask - how does burning a dog's tongue help with a housetraining issue?

That is cruel and abusive and is not going to help this anxious dog, in fact abuse makes it worse. She probably is urinating when you walk in the door because she is stressed and fears more punishment.

Never ever punish this dog. You need to start confining her when you go out - either in a crate or in a gated off bathroom or laundry room. Stop giving her the run of the house for now.

Do not give her a chance to make mistakes. Either confine her or keep her attached to you by a leash. At the first sign she is thinking of urinating, rush her outside and then you can praise her for being successful instead of punishing or abusing her after the fact.

What are you doing about the spay incontinence? Is she getting meds for this?

Here is a link on housetraining "special dogs". I think you'll find a lot of helpful tips here.Training special dogs
Old December 14th, 2004, 03:32 AM

You are right maybe it was not a good idea but I tried it as a last resort.
I praise her so much when she goes outside. I even bring her favorite treats and give them to her after she has gone. I don't think it is a matter of housetraining at this point.

She is a VERY "special" dog with a lot of needs and constant positive attention. Wherever she was before me did quite a toll on her and I know she is still traumatized by it.

I am picking up a crate for her tomorrow and thanks for the website it was very helpful. I have also called a lady who works with bahaviour problems in adult dogs. I am enrolling in a 6 week course to try and learn how to manage her needs better. I believe that undestanding the issues better will help me manage it better. She is on medication for her spay incontinence and is doing really well since she started. She has not been leaking at all. Thanks for all the help.
Old December 14th, 2004, 08:14 AM
Senior Contributor

Katrina,that is great news....
Old December 14th, 2004, 10:37 AM
Senior Contributor

I'm so glad you're changing the way you handle this problem and stopping the abuse!

Just be aware that her trust in you is probably damaged, and may take time to return but it will.