Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 12th, 2004, 10:57 AM
banned user

Wink The "testosteronic purchase"

I was talking to one of the Animal Control Officers that runs our local shelter yesterday. Just visiting, chatting. I used a term that I made up a long time ago: "the testosteronic purchase", that cracked her up. I was referring to when a fellow comes into a shelter seeking to adopt a "Big, mean-lookin dawg". You know what I'm talking about. Often these folks get pit bulls, and are disappointed to find out the dog is very friendly and loving. (Where I lived in Florida, some owners would put black powder in the dog food "to make them mean" ). These dogs usually end up on the end of a chain, or being abused in hopes of making them mean, or simply dumped if they aren't intimidating enough.
Anyway, the officer knew exactly the kind of person I was talking about, and agreed that they don't usually give a pet the life that we would want for them (to say the least). After so many years in the business, she can spot this "type" only a minute or so after they walk in the door.
She told me that when they come in, she ALWAYS says: "Oh, sorry, darnit...we don't have any of those" (pitbulls, rottweilers, whatever they are looking for). She then adds: "We have TONS of pomeranians and poodles, though- would that interest you?". LOL!!!!!!!!

Gotta love this lady.
Old August 12th, 2004, 11:28 AM
Senior Contributor

That's great - "testosteronic purchase!" Too bad it's so true. I wish these guys could grow some...ummmm.."appendages" of their own instead of resorting to getting them by proxy from a poor dog.
Old August 12th, 2004, 11:44 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

There are loads of PBT's in my area and I'd see them all adopt these dogs but not because they liked the dog, just because to them it was a symbol of danger.

When I volunteered at the shelter because I didn't wear a uniform or anything they had no idea who I was, thought I was another potential adopter. They would talk 'freely' and 'openly' about what their plans for the dogs were and it made me sick