Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 10th, 2004, 10:21 AM

Suture reaction?

Just wondering if anyone has experienced suture reaction to absorbable stitches in their dog? Annie was spayed 2 weeks ago today, and all the sudden yesterday the very top 1/4 inch of the suture was red and infected. The rest of the incision is basically a scar now, thoroughly healed. I called her vet, and he said that it sounded like her body was trying to get "rid" of the knot, much like our bodies try to get rid of a sliver. Anyway, I am taking her in tonight so he can have a quick look. Just wanted to know if anyone else had heard of or experienced this. I guess most dogs bodies just absorb them...of course my dog had to react!
Old August 10th, 2004, 07:08 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Yes that just happened to my Sadie as well

She's on antibiotics now and I'm keeping the area clean. They look nasty when the bust, one burst yesterday pus filled really grosse!

I think that the surgeon used two types of stitches on Sadie
absorbing/non absorbing. BUT the non absorbing were tied deep inside the skin and that is what the problem is.

I just got back from the vet, I suggest you get some antibiotics the infection can spread.
Old August 10th, 2004, 07:13 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

go read it on this thread a few posts down
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....6262#post40712
Old August 11th, 2004, 09:05 AM

I took Annie to the vet yesterday, turns out it was the knot causing the problem. The vet just went into the incision and pulled the knot out. He checked her out and said the underneath layers are all well healed, she just reacted to the knot in the skin layer. he said it is not really an infection, it is just that her body was angry that there was something in her that didnt really belong. Its all healed up this morning, a little red, but she isnt trying to lick it anymore, and before this it was driving her crazy! I will be watching it close and if there is no improvement by Friday or so back to the vet we will go... Wish they would tell you this could happen BEFORE you experience it...Oh well.
Old August 13th, 2004, 01:58 PM

Luba,

How is Sadie doing with her spay incision? Annies has already healed, and the scab has already fallen off where the vet had to pull the knot out! I just wanted to see (and I am hoping!) that Sadies healing went as fast. I am so amazed at how fast pets heal, compared to humans. Maybe it is because they dont dwell on the illness/injury unless it is especially painful.
Old August 13th, 2004, 02:38 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

The vet didn't pull a knot out, though I really wished she tried She didn't want to because she said the 'surgeon' that did it should do it. So they put her on antibiotics and the infection is reducing. The vet hopes IF there is a knot behind the infection it will come out itself. However i still feel a bump. After 10 days of the meds she's supposed to be rechecked.

Though that time I will take her back to the surgeon.
I wish they'd tell ya too, I agree with you.

I'm happy your girl is doing much better, thats amazing recovery. So great!!

I don't see anymore puss but it could be inside.