Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Gardening

Old December 1st, 2010, 10:09 AM
Senior Contributor

In the summer garden...

Hi all you gardeners, a new season has just begun. Strange start to Summer here, showers and thunderstorms and a likelihood of maybe 20 to 40mm of rain on both next Monday and Tuesday. A lot of the State is just recuperating from the last floods. The new DA roses are gearing up for another flush of flowers, it's crazy!

Anyway, here's a bright start to Summer, two of the Bronze Shades Sunflowers, and the rose named Bright Eyes.
Attached Images

Old December 1st, 2010, 10:23 AM
Senior Contributor

Pansies galore, a furry garden ornament named Bo and one of my gum trees flowering, the Coffin Bay Mallee I think.
Attached Images

Old December 1st, 2010, 10:34 AM
Senior Contributor

Last trio for now. The first rose is a Delbard, Camille Pissaro. The second is another photo of The Herbalist and its attendant native bee. Finally a delphinium for Hazel.
Attached Images

Old December 1st, 2010, 11:30 AM
Doggie Wench

What uplifting images for such a dull and dreary day here today. The Bo ornament adds a wonderful touch to your garden .
Old December 1st, 2010, 01:29 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Beautiful flowers, GF! I just finished organizing my hundreds of flower shots from the summer I gotta stop taking so many... But I browse the folders on the really gloomy days for lift. Now I have two places to go for garden shots in winter. (And for the delphinium!)

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 1st, 2010, 06:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Well, I know that during our 13 year drought I was desperate for colour, Hazel, so maybe I'm over compensating? LOL. Your Winters would be the same I guess. Did you do a thread on your Summer flowers?

LP, I usually have a dog or two trying to hog the camera, and my sister's photo's are always funny, there seems to be a sheltie lurking under a bush in the background in so many.

Here are my first two Day Lilies and one of the Salvias. Now that I know the Day Lilies do okay in the ground here I can spread the potted ones about a bit.
Attached Images

Old December 1st, 2010, 09:56 PM
You can call me DOG!

I love the sunflowers! They're georgous!

I also like that little Bo bud too!

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old December 2nd, 2010, 08:10 AM
Senior Contributor

Instant cheer me ups, the sunflowers IMO, klm. And Bo bud would like you in return, he's a real lovey boy .

Aah, now first photo here will be Candytufts and this is the first time I've grown them. They go pretty high on my list of seeds to get started next time around. Very difficult to get a decent photo of them though, the camera blurred it 9 times out of 10.
Next is Lavatera "Bredon Springs", which hopefully will grow into a nice shrub later, it is only tube size so far.

Finally the red rose , Kardinal.
Attached Images

Old December 2nd, 2010, 03:41 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I like your candytufts--they remind me of a cross between marigolds and dame's rockets. Very pretty!

No, I didn't do a garden thread...don't have anything very spectacular.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 3rd, 2010, 10:12 AM
Senior Contributor

Hazel, when the Candytufts started to flower I looked at them and thought "What are they??" I only realised when the white one came out. LOL.

Only a couple of roses for tonight seeing I was busy today. First the lovely single, Dainty Bess, then Ashram.
Attached Images

Old December 5th, 2010, 09:56 AM
Senior Contributor

klm, another sunflower for you to brighten up your Winter's day. Then a pink Day Lily, and my latest rose buy, the Delbard rose, Red Intuition. I've wanted that beauty for ages - love the striped roses - and I discovered a Plant Nursery when I took Gemma down to the Vet, and the good news is that they charge the same as the top Rose suppliers do, without the freight charges of course.
Attached Images

Old December 5th, 2010, 05:14 PM
You can call me DOG!

Goldfields but that Sunflower picture was just screaming "happy face!" Had to do it!

Name:  Sunflower.JPG
Views: 270
Size:  69.0 KB

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old December 5th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Love it! Wish I had a few like that.

I haven't much to offer this morning. Some double hollyhocks, and I suppose it looks okay with them all white, however they were sold as mixed colours. The usual little garden ornament in the background.
Next is a photo of "Snow in Summer", aka Melaleuca linariifolia, or flax leafed Paperbark is another nickname. A nice little native tree. And finally, the first dainty Penstemon to flower, Pennington Gem I think its name is.
Attached Images

Old December 5th, 2010, 06:51 PM
Half Way To Crazy

I love sunflowers!!!!!
especially smilie ones!!!!
Old December 5th, 2010, 08:19 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I like your white hollyhocks, GF--I planted tons of seed this spring and a lot of them sprouted but then they were drowned in the ensuing rains of summer....sigh. So I don't think I'll ever see any color hollyhock bloom here....

Love the Dainty Bess and the penstemon, too! (I must be in a 'pink' mood today )

Old December 6th, 2010, 02:19 AM
Senior Contributor

Hard to imagine anything killing hollyhocks, Hazel, except for me. I have to rip them out whenever they start to take over. They like well drained soil and regular watering in dry weather. Too much summer rain then, that's a pity. You never know, mine might all drown yet. In about a 40 minute thunderstorm this afternoon, we got 37ml of rain, almost 1 1/2 inches. Two inches forecast for tomorrow, another 20 ml maybe the next day, so we may get floods again if the falls are higher in the river's catchment areas. It means we'll have lots of mosquitoes, worse luck.
Old December 6th, 2010, 09:50 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

We don't normally get 30 inches of rain in summer--just this year.

Old December 7th, 2010, 04:37 AM
Senior Contributor

Hazel, you wouldn't want to see our weather map tonight, possibly the worst weather coming that I'll have seen in my life. Hate to think what it will do to my garden. I have put things like potted roses, Hippeastrums, Irises and Frangiani cuttings under cover, my sheep and ponies are all locked up .... hope we aren't flooded out. A friend in South Australia said it's been horrendous, thunder like she's never heard before and such heavy rain she couldn't see her neighbor's house(and it's close). Wish us luck! Farmer's crops will be totally ruined by this I reckon.

Anyway, taken before the storms.... the striped Harry Wheatcroft. The lovely soft pink named The Children's Rose, and the more subtly striped Tropical Sunset.
Attached Images

Old December 7th, 2010, 04:56 AM
Senior Contributor

The first one was in our garden, now relocated to the forest. Good camouflage, isn't it? I don't mind them eating the mulberries but I don't want them where my dogs might eat them. The second is a David Austin rose, The Squire. Last I guess shows everything going to seed. Stocks, Honesty and Salvia.
Attached Images

Old December 9th, 2010, 10:19 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

And a cabbage white butterfly? If so, those little guys have a huge range!

Old December 10th, 2010, 11:36 PM
Senior Contributor

It's nice we share the same butterflies, a cabbage white it is. I actually like them, and hate them when I'm growing vegies. LOL.
It appears to be lily time. Here is a different pink one and my favorite so far, the dark red. Final one is a Christmas lily just flowering now.
Attached Images

Old December 11th, 2010, 07:33 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

OK, goldfields, I am going to be brutally honest with this post.
I am so jealous!!! We are snow covered and freezing here . I want my garden back . The deer have munched on all my flocks already and it is only December

OK, now that is out. What beautiful flowers . I just love your roses.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old December 11th, 2010, 08:29 AM
Senior Contributor

GF,what a great way to start a dreary Saturday morning,I hope the incoming storm does not damage all that beauty
We have no snow yet,but everything is gray and miserable,at least a"little"snow brightens things up..LOVE all your flowers
Old December 11th, 2010, 10:17 AM
Senior Contributor

Well, wish you could all be here to see and smell the garden(and help pull weeds ) but failing that, at least I can try and cheer up a dull Winter's morning for you all. Chico, we've had our bad weather, 91ml of rain(over 3 1/2 inches) in 3 days. Only a couple of days with showers in the next week and temperatures in the 20's so that will be nice. We are in a La Nina weather event though which means a wet and humid Summer here.
Love4himies, I'd swap those deer for the the thousands of locusts that could arrive from up north and eat ALL my garden.

What can I post today? A rather different Salvia maybe, S. lanceolata, with its autumn shades of apricot and burnt red.(quoting from the label).
A dazzling bronze shaded sunflower, and for the rose lovers, Camille Pissaro again.
Attached Images

Old December 11th, 2010, 10:20 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

We may get 20 inches of snow by tomorrow...I think whatever you post is going to be more colorful than what I'm gonna be seein'!

Old December 11th, 2010, 10:39 AM
Senior Contributor

20 inches! Photo's please? I have only seen snow once, believe it or not. I love seeing people's photo's of it.

Here's some more colour then, after which I'm headed for bed, it's very late here. First a double red Hollyhock just starting to flower, then some petunias and pansies.
Attached Images

Old December 11th, 2010, 12:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Goldfields, thank you so much for the colors of your garden. It really does brighten up my morning. You mentioned you would like to see some snow pictures, I am sure over the next few months you will see more than enough as we enter our white months...patti
Old December 11th, 2010, 11:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Patti, I hope I can find nice images for you all during your white months but really your white months are our burnt brown ones. Farm properties have houseyards like a small oasis, while beyond the fence there is this. (sigh!). (Without the water.)
Attached Images

Old December 13th, 2010, 10:42 PM
Senior Contributor

27C here, heading for the low 30's, so proper Summer weather now. I think that calls for summer -ish(?) colours, so some more pansies and Verbena, followed by another bronze sunflower and some petunias.
Attached Images

Old December 14th, 2010, 12:26 AM
Senior Contributor

3 roses this time. Kronenberg, Gold Bunny, and a favorite, New Duet. The latter lasts so long that these flowers are showing damage on the very outer petals(spotting) from our last rain, my other roses do not hold their petals that long.
Attached Images