Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old March 17th, 2012, 01:03 PM

Cat - to keep or not to keep?

Hello all,

In September 2010, I adopted Kit-Kat, at the time an indoor 11-year old black cat, from my brother and sister-in-law. She was unhappy at their home since they got a new dog, and was spending her days hiding under the bed. Needless to say, she is now a very happy and extremely healthy cat, who loves to play, snuggle and, of course, sleep!

However, I accepted a job offer in Porto Alegre, Brazil, for two years and will be leaving on July 20th. However, I'm not sure if I should bring Kit-Kat along. I have two colleagues that have volunteered to take her in, both already with one or two cats, all with experience living with other cats, including my own Kit-Kat who had two companions for many years.

Here are the pros and cons for Kit-Kat if I do bring her:

Pros:
- She will feel safe with me.
- She will keep her same routine.
- She doesn't like going out on the balcony when's there is snow, but I won't have that issue in Brazil! (Although I'm not sure I will have a balcony)
- With a certificate from my vet, I can bring her to Brazil and there won't be any quarantine - she'll come straight to the apartment with me.

Cons:
- To get there from Montreal, it's 3 flights over a 24-hour period. She could potentially be in the cabin with me, but it's not guaranteed. How will she hold herself for 24 hours...?
- Once in Brazil, even though I'm working, I will probably travel a lot locally, and back to Canada twice a year for periods of two to three weeks. Although I already travel a lot, I always have someone stay at my house here. What if I can't find anyone to take care of her while I'm there?
- By the time I leave Brazil, she'll be almost 15. What if she's not healthy enough to fly back...?

Pros and cons if I leave her in someone's care here in Canada:
Pros:
- She'll be with a loving family.
- She won't have any upsets for food or water.
- She might enjoy the feline companionship.
- I can get her used to the new home's smells before she actually moves.

Cons:
- Changing homes at almost 13 will be traumatic (but then again, she adapted quite well with me even though she had spent 11 years with the same family).
- What is she doesn't get along with the new cats? She doesn't have claws, but they do.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated, as I'm on the fence for this one. I want to do what's best for her, not me.
Old March 18th, 2012, 04:34 AM
Willing cat servant

If there's a way you can travel with Kit Kat in the Cabin maybe you should consider taking your friend and companion with you.
My dad and my brother have been in Porto Alegre btw and I heard it's really nice if you get the chance also go to Gramado. It's not far from Porto Alegre and it's really beautiful.

Gramado
Old March 18th, 2012, 08:17 AM
Senior Contributor

Boy, what a tough choice. I can't help thinking in terms of my own cats. One I would take with me, the other two I'd leave with my willing friends. If they were the same age as Kit Kat, mine are all older.

I guess I'm no help but you seem to have thought this out very well. I sort of wish Kit Kat had stayed in her first home. It takes a while to get used to a new dog. The cat I'd take with me pretty well hid from our puppy for the first year but now they friends.

I guess that's not an opton? Going back to your brother? I do sort of worry about the claws versus no claws. It's why we did not keep a lovely stray manx, he was declawed and had no defense against my wickedly territorial cat, the one I'd keep with me.

Good luck in your decison, I know you will make the best one you can.
Old March 23rd, 2012, 02:34 AM

Pros and Cons

Hi,

You did make good lists of the pros and con's, shows you care lots for your feline friend

I think what is important is to do what's best for your cat... it really is a difficult decision!

Good luck to you both.

sandyrivers
Elphin April 21st 2008 m -cat
Stibule(Gino,Airell,Katla,Rasta)June 6th 2009 f- cat
Gino Ferrero April 8th 2010 m -cat
Airell Awenn Awnfenn Ep Berrth April 8th 2010 f- cat
Katla Chilam Balam April 8th 2010 f- cat
Rasta Farian Marley April 9th 2010 m- cat
Chipcat-Filou found June 12th 2011 (Ocicat 6months old) f-cat
Jane the Snow Cat rescued Dec27th 2012 f- cat
Old October 28th, 2012, 11:53 AM

I'm a few months behind, but I just wanted to thank everyone for their feedback.

I ended up leaving Kit-Kat with my mom's friend, who has been taking care of cats for over 50 years. She already had one cat, but who had recently lost her "friend", so she was used to having another cat in the house. Although their was a bit of friction at first, they now tolerate each other without any problems.

Kit-Kat is being spoiled with great food, lots of love and lots of places to sleep. I do miss her, but now that I'm in Brazil and see my lifestyle, I think leaving her back home with a friend was the best decision I could have made for her!

Again, thanks for your feedback and suggestions!
Old October 28th, 2012, 11:54 AM

P.S.: Koteburo, I ddi visit Gramado, and it is indeed beautiful!

Tags
adoption, moving, travel