Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old April 26th, 2005, 10:52 PM

Alternative to declawing-SOFT PAWS!

Hi, I was just reading some posts about people taking extreme measures to declaw their poor kittens in order to protect their expensive furniture... First of all if you love your furniture more then your kitten, then you shouldn't get the kitten in the first place. With all the respect to scratching posts...well, sofa is still the favorite to any kitten! :-)
Nowadays there is quite a good alternative to declawing- try SOFT PAWS or SOFT CLAWS!! These are little soft artificial nail caps that will last for about a month. Kitten will love those and your sofa will be saved! I don't know if you can get these from a local veterinarian yet, so check on ebay. There you can find the best deal! 40 nail caps for just 14$ CAD. They should last 3-4 months if you use just on front paws!
I didn't see any post on this so far, so hopefully it may help some people to make the compromise for both sides.

Good luck!
Old April 26th, 2005, 10:53 PM

I know they sell them somewhere in Montreal because the vet I worked at had a cat who wore them.
Old April 26th, 2005, 11:07 PM
Senior Contributor

If you research the forum (like type in declawing for example) or even soft paws , you will discover most people who post here are strongly opposed to declawing and have many alternatives to this horrible and cruel (criminal in most industrial countries) procedure.

Soft Paws are an alternative but most reports - at least from members here - have been negative. They come off, they only last for so long, a kitten can get them off too easily, etc. I never tried them and frankly, see no need. My little Siamese - and the Sphnyx - use their scratching posts quite fathfully. Too, they have theirown sisel carpets. Adding catnip to a post is much easier than fussing with softpaws. (I can't say I am impressed with what I have seen of them.)

Good and effective training is the best option. Would you train without soft paws? No! And if one has a cat, one knows what kind of furniture to get and cats - who are VERY mart - learn quickly how to be rewarded for usung their scratchung posts. (Obviusly, the more cats you have, the more posts and cat trees, etc) you need!
Old April 27th, 2005, 09:29 AM

I use softpaws and i would have to say i love them! Blaze is a very well mannered cat he lets me do basically anything to him as long as it doesnt cause pain...he sits on his back while i clip his nails and loves being brushed and doesnt even really mind taking a bath...I use soft paws because Blaze does use the tons of things he has to claw in the house but he also likes to tear at just one part of the couch he doesnt care if i squirt him with water i actually think he likes it...he doesnt care if i pick him up and take him to his post...he doesnt care if i clap my hands loudly he looks at me like "what"...Blaze is a wonderful cat this is the only that sorta bothers me so I got him soft paws because we have a leather couch...I know that cats scratch up things i knew that when i got Blaze so i would never declaw him or anything like that. Blaze is trained to use his post its just the one part of the couch and nothing else i have sprayed it with orange smelling sprays and he rolled around in it...hehe...his soft paws stayed on for four weeks the first time and the second time i put them on they stayed on for about five weeks and he only managed to pull one off the second week. I think they are very easy to put on but like i said Blaze doesnt mind being fussed over.
Old April 27th, 2005, 09:58 AM
~Cat Servent~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vas
"First of all if you love your furniture more then your kitten, then you shouldn't get the kitten in the first place."

That's a good one, mind if I use it? That should be the new anti-declawing motto or something. Powerful and to the point!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old April 27th, 2005, 09:59 AM

I've heard of soft paws but have no experience with them. We have never used them on any of our cats.

I guess we have been pretty lucky because none of our cats in the past have ever ruined our furniture. Whenever we have caught them in the act of using our furniture they have been reprimanded.

We tried using a scratching post with our current cat but she didn't take to it. She couldn't stand it. She prefers one of those big plastic buckets! As long as there is a bucket around, she will use that and not the furniture or the door frames (another of her favourite, but she's not allowed to use that either).

I have to agree with Cyberkitten that training is the best route to go.
Old April 27th, 2005, 09:59 AM
~Cat Servent~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vas
"First of all if you love your furniture more then your kitten, then you shouldn't get the kitten in the first place."

That's a good one, mind if I use it? That should be the new anti-declawing motto or something. Powerful and to the point!

And yes I would say MOST members here are opposed to declawing and offer warnings and alternatives to any who are considering it.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old April 27th, 2005, 12:48 PM

Has anyone ever actually used soft paws here?

Momma Cat likes to use my couch as a scratch post, I don't think she was ever taught not to, don't know how easy it will be to train an older cat.. I don't care if she uses my couch since it's old anyways but I'm staying with my mom this summer and she has nice furniture which I doubt she'll want scratched up. I was thinking of getting soft paws so if anyone has actually used them I'd love to hear how it went!
Old April 27th, 2005, 12:53 PM

I use soft paws and i love them...easy to use and safe for your kitty
Old April 27th, 2005, 01:16 PM

My friend has a cat that wears soft paws. It really helps and it's easy to use. Sometimes the cap can slip from the nail, if it's not well put on (or not enough of glue), but usually it should last for about 3-4 weeks. When nails regrow the artificial nail caps fall off and then you replace. We found soft paws (or soft claws) on ebay at a very good price - about 14$ shipping included. So you can try, if you don't like it, there is no big loss.
Old April 27th, 2005, 02:31 PM
Titleless

When talking to potential adopters, one of our main questions is if they plan to declaw. We forbid declawing, period. There are many alternatives. Soft Paws as mention here as well as the double sided tape (that two of my friends swear by!). I use bitter sweet lotion on door frames at my home (they seem to really love the door frames and don't bother furniture). I remember having a little water bottle and only having to pick it up and them see it and they would all run in different directions (this is probably why I'm the one always getting abused by them )
Old April 27th, 2005, 02:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Kayla, I've taught cats of all ages to use scratching posts. If it's pleasant to use and unpleasant to scratch the furniture, they will learn. After all, cats are ALL about pleasing themselves.
Old April 27th, 2005, 02:56 PM
Titleless

LR you gotta give me pointers on having them use a scratch post. We bought one and they refuse to us it. They have the cardboard scratch things (the circle one with the ball around the edge and the cardboard in the center), but I only have two of these and it seems Marbles stretches across them both leaving the other 4 cats nothing. Is there a trick to making them use a scratch post (I've even put catnip on it). Like I said, they don't bother furniture, just the door frames. I know can purchase more of the cardboard things, however, I'd really like for them to use a scratch post too
Old April 27th, 2005, 03:14 PM

I have to admitt I got lucky with Jasmine, she's never really scratched anything. She will scratch the $200 throw carpet in the foyer, but what you gonna do? My mother doesn't mind as long as she sticks to that and not the actual carpet. She WILL NOT use a scratch post. I'v tried everything, spraying her with water when she scratched what she wasn't suposed to, putting her paws on the scratch post and giving her treats for it, she could not care any less about cat nip has no interest in it at all. and many other things as well. She just won't use it for anything in the world. I'v tried sesal (or however you spell it), the cardboard ones that lay on the ground, the card board ones that stand up, carpeted ones, wood ones, plastic ones, hard ones, and soft ones. Nothing will work for her. I guess some cats just won't have it. I also tried double sided tape, would you believe she actully pulled it off and chewed it up. I couldn't believe it when I saw it. And she has gotten much more sutbborn in her old age, now she walks all over the counters, she never used to do this. But we let her do as she pleases, she's getting old and deserves everything she wants lol. She gets spoiled and you know mommy can't help but let it happen .

Candi- Italian Greyhound
Cash- Italian Greyhound
Jasmine- Tabby cat
Old April 27th, 2005, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STAMPDesigns
They have the cardboard scratch things (the circle one with the ball around the edge and the cardboard in the center),
Our Boyz have one of those too but all they do is play with the ball and have never used it for scratching
We have scratching posts on all levels of the house (sisal rope kinds). We started using their toys to get them attracted to the posts .... have them chasing a toy and just drag the toy up the scratching post. Then lots of praise when they were clawing at the post ... worked like a charm for our Boyz
Old April 27th, 2005, 03:32 PM
Titleless

Rita, mine use the scratch part, except Marbles. That's her version of a cat sofa.
Old April 27th, 2005, 03:35 PM

If your cat refuses scratching posts it may be that you need more CONSISTANCY. If you're not at home to correct your cat's behaviour wherever she goes and whenever she scratches furniture it may be really hard to teach a good behaviour.

It's wonderful if you managed to teach your cat to use a scratching post! Your kitty must be very thankful for such a patient and loving owner. But anyways the couch is always so tempting..
Old April 27th, 2005, 03:46 PM
Senior Contributor

I have to admit,we've had many cats and many sofas...destroyed doorframes etc...our latest purchase several years ago was leather-sofas,the best choice if you have cats.Mine do however love their cat-tree and it's now mostly covered in sisal-rope.
After replacing the cored door-frames,a simple NO is working with my 3 cats,they are quiet obedient....I never found scratching to be a huge problem,I knew cats scratched when I got them and cats can actually learn not do to certain things,they are not stupid.Treat them like you would a dog and they will learn,with a few slip-ups
Old April 27th, 2005, 05:47 PM
Titleless

Thanks for the tips. I've been consistant with the scratch post, just neither Marc or Mr. Maggoo seem interested. The attack on the door frame is when it's time for bed. During the day, neither really move from their snuggle blanket unless it's to use the litter box or eat.
Old April 27th, 2005, 05:52 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

Here is a pet tip that addresses the issue and some of the common deterrents to cats scratching.

http://www.pets.ca/pettips/tips-27.htm

I hope it helps.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter