Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old July 28th, 2010, 01:40 PM
-

Unhappy Changes at the new Toronto Humane Society

Boy is this place ever going to be different. Yes, it needed to change but I find these changes radical

http://www.torontosun.com/comment/co.../14846686.html
Old July 28th, 2010, 01:52 PM
banned user

Wow Chris...that is not what I was wanting to read....how do they think that is going to help!
And where do we send our objections to their new found policy...sounds like so many will go without the help that I thought the Humane Society was there for!
Old July 28th, 2010, 02:24 PM
Senior Contributor

I think we all know what is going to happen when someone who didn't give a crap enough about a pet to keep it is going to do when confronted with a 1 -2 hour procedure to "give up" the pet and have to be charged $50.00.
This is only going to contribute hugely on the number of pets just dropped off somewhere to get rid of them.
So stupid...

Poor, poor babies ...
Old July 28th, 2010, 02:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Key words here which leads one to believe that this facility is NOT animal oriented nor friendly:
"Rejects", "Disposal", "Refusal", and "Selective".

Very disappointing!
Old July 28th, 2010, 03:05 PM
Doggie Wench

Sounds like it's turned into a private shelter now .

I have to say, I was a little put off by the way TAS is portrayed.

Quote:
Rejects can go to Toronto Animal Services, which is an animal-control agency — basically the pound, whose its prime role is to kill unwanted animals.
Although my experience with TAS is limited...that was not the impression I got at all. Perhaps it was the particular site I visited and/or the staff I spoke with but, they run more like a responsible shelter than most shelters I do know of. The fact that they work with rescues and other impressive programs should be used as an example for other shelters to follow.

BenMax, keep in mind those are words of the author's choosing...we know what the media can be like .
Old July 28th, 2010, 03:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
BenMax, keep in mind those are words of the author's choosing...we know what the media can be like .
Noted of course. However, if they are being that picky then I feel that those words are a pretty good description of what is happening for the future.
Old July 28th, 2010, 04:06 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG,so if someone finds a stray dog/cat,the THS will not help outisn't that what any Humane Society is really there for??
To help strays find their home,but if not,put them up for adoption,not kill them at TAS.
I hope this is not the truth,or more cats/dogs will have to make the streets their home
Old July 28th, 2010, 04:19 PM
Senior Contributor

I am speechless...and that doesn't happen alot. Thanks to the "new" THS, It is failing the Cities strays. With TAS now handles all of the strays...they'll pts rate will blow the roof, more so then it is already. While I agree with charging a fee to surrendered animals, but like stated above, the public will not pay this fee, and just dump their animal, leaving it to fend for it's self.

As for the kittens..what they never heard of foster homes...or staff taking bottle feeding kittens home?
Old July 28th, 2010, 05:35 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
Sounds like it's turned into a private shelter now .

Peter Worthington was always a Trow supporter and a big supporter of the THS in general...anti OSPCA and TAS.

THS used to handle strays for the City several years back, the City then rescinded their contract and opened their own services, 5 in the beginning now 4....in reality THS "should not" have been taking in strays but they did.....losing the contract left them with a bitter taste and Trow insisted that they carry on as usual.

LP The TAS shelter you visited is an exception, for reasons unkown to me they dance to their own drummer, serving the City as they should, but work with rescues and bring dogs from Quebec and Ohio....it is also an A-One facility, much better than most shelters from what I hear.....Other branches of TAS also work with rescues but not to the extent of the South Shelter.

Charging a surrender fee, I find nothing wrong with this. I know at the OSPCA (or how it used to be) if someone refuses to pay or says they cannot, they take the animal regardless.

What does infuriate me is THS was built to house 600 - 700 animals, they are going to cut that capacity in half....my only thinking is, at the present time since they are trying to get on their feet again they are not biting off more than they can swallow, which may be a good thing......They have just gone through a hugh reorganization and no doubt it will take time to get back into the swing of things.

I find Peter Worthington's article very biased, but then he usually is
Old July 28th, 2010, 05:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh crap! That doesn't sound good at all! After seeing what the OSPCA didn't do at Mile 26, this really worries me!

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old July 29th, 2010, 09:12 AM
-

Toronto Humane Society's response to Peter Worthington's article

http://www.torontohumanesociety.com/...l27_2010_2.htm
Old July 29th, 2010, 11:10 AM
Senior Contributor

Well when I read the article yesterday I wrote to THS and originally they sent me the response they printed to Worthingtons article. I wrote back and told them that they did not answer my questions about surrendering an animal and then I got a response that was not a copy of the article or a form letter. This was the response I got. I questioned why they would go to California for help when we have one of the premier animal science programs in North America right here in Guelph.

The surrender fee that we charge is not mandatory. Previously we used to request a donation. But as per CRA guidelines we needed to amend that process and change it to a fee based structure. Its also important to know that we would not turn someone away from surrendering an animal because they couldn’t afford the fee.

We do also consult with the U of G program in Canada from time to time – they are a valuable resource. The reason we have consulted with the University of California is because they have a highly regarded Shelter medicine program – you can read more about it here if you like http://www.sheltermedicine.com/about/welcome.php

We exchanged a few emails she also sent this back to me
I understand why you would feel that way – the article is very biased, and sounds really bad. We were all really upset about the article as well – the picture he has painted is not correct. Its too bad, because we really need the support after going through so much. Things are 100% improved & better than before, although we are not perfect & there is work still to be done to rebuild THS.

I suggested a press conference

I agree & I have spoken with our donor relations team about crafting the appropriate types of responses to donors – thanks for your feedback.

I will suggest the press conference to our Executive Director, it’s a good idea.

Also, we are in talks with the Toronto Animal Services to be able to accept stray animals, and we hope to be able to have this in place very soon.

We would be happy to discuss your concerns in more detail and hopefully clear up much of the misinformation published in the Sun article. If you like I could have our Executive Director give you a call – let me know.

I hope you will reconsider your support of THS and our work to help animals. We truly appreciate the support of our valued donors.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog

Last edited by mastifflover; July 29th, 2010 at 11:32 AM.
Old July 29th, 2010, 11:34 AM

Toronto I hope you enjoy your influx of unwanted, abandoned and abused animals being dumped on the street after their previous owners could find no where to take them in.

Sounds like the makings of a for-profit facility catering only to "select" animals.

I wonder what they will do with the stray animals left in boxes of tied to posts outside?

Last edited by cell; July 29th, 2010 at 11:39 AM.
Old July 29th, 2010, 11:43 AM
Senior Contributor

Did you read the response they will not turn an animal away. They are considering a press conference to clear up the article in the sun which has many misstatements in it.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old July 29th, 2010, 04:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Mastifflover,I thought it might not be the right info,it came from the SUN after all.
What are HS's for if not for needy animals,strays,lost or dumped cats/dogs.
Between the OSPCA and THS and the latest happenings I am really disappointed and I Thank Dog for our wonderful Oakville Humane Society.
Old July 29th, 2010, 04:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Between the OSPCA and THS and the latest happenings I am really disappointed and I Thank Dog for our wonderful Oakville Humane Society.
I wholeheartingly concur