Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old April 11th, 2010, 08:37 PM

Black Walnut Hulls & Hawthorn Berries herb

Hi,

did anyone give Black Walnut Hulls &/or Hawthorn Berries herb to dogs?

I heard Black Walnut Hulls & Hawthorn Berries herb are natural heartworm preventation ingredient. I would like to make my own heartworm nosodes for my dog

http://www.naturalpaws.com.au/homeop...roduct-62.html

please advise

Alice
Old April 11th, 2010, 08:51 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Frankly, leeah, if you're in a heartworm prone area, I wouldn't risk your dog with homemade ingredients that may or may not protect him.

If it's cost you're worried about, ivermectin can be used on a monthly or quarterly schedule for a fraction of the price of many of the 'fancier' meds.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 11th, 2010, 09:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Natural doesn't necessarily mean good or non toxic. Black walnuts, especially the hull's are toxic to dogs and cause bad stomach upset. I would assume they possibly work because of their toxicity, which is no better than a vet prescribed heart preventative, which is at least for SURE in the correct dose and we know the side effect of.
Old April 12th, 2010, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Frankly, leeah, if you're in a heartworm prone area, I wouldn't risk your dog with homemade ingredients that may or may not protect him.

If it's cost you're worried about, ivermectin can be used on a monthly or quarterly schedule for a fraction of the price of many of the 'fancier' meds.
Hi,

yes, I am worried about the cost. Revolution is too expensive.
I might consider HeartGuard which costs $25 per box. I will give some apple cider vingar in my dog's water and add some tea tree oil/lavender oil on dog's collar. Rub some baking soda on dog's coat to elimiate flea.

does a prescription require to buy ivermectin? Can I purchase it from ShopperDrug Mart or PharmPlus?

thanks
Alice
Old April 12th, 2010, 08:45 AM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

actually it is black walnut extract not hulls,,,as MBIE said hulls is toxic,,extract isn't,,,you have the rest of the treatment wrong tho...it is mugwort and wormwood..the main one you need is the black walnut extract..it is a natural parasite treatment used for deworming and prevention and it is NON toxic.
Old April 12th, 2010, 08:47 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Before you start anything, you need to have your dog tested to make sure it doesn't have heartworms now--if your dog has a bad case and you begin treatment, your dog can have an embolism as the worms die. If you decide on ivermectin, you also need to talk to a vet about the formulation and dosage for heartworms. You only need a small amount and there are at least two formulations available--you need to pick the one suitable for dogs.

You don't need a prescription for ivermectin in Wisconsin--I don't know about in your area. We buy it at the local farm store--if there are none near you, you can purchase on-line through a reputable veterinary pharmacy site.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 12th, 2010, 08:51 AM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

hazel is absolutely right you do have to take the pupper to the vet to make sure there isn't already heartworm..

If you are choosing natural over prescription treatment for financial reasons, i would like to say,,,please go to a vet who uses these methods,,don't try and do it off the internet. Just like regular treatment you need specific amounts for your animal.
Old April 12th, 2010, 10:46 AM
Senior Contributor

Ah, thanks aslan, I didn't even click on the link, just read hulls.

Either way, I wouldn't mess around with heartworms. If these natural preventatives don't work you're looking at very expensive treatments to get rid of them, or else your dog will die or if you can't afford the treatments have to put them down. We dealt with a very bad case in my father in law's dog after he died. He was an outdoor dog and my father in law didn't really believe in spending money on vet care. He was pretty much emaciated no matter how much he would eat and would cough constantly. It's a wonder he survived the treatment being infected so bad. They basically poison the heartworms which makes the dog very sick during treatment. Some dogs don't survive the treatment.
Old April 14th, 2010, 01:23 AM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

I wouldn't mess with heartworm either. I know how expensive it is, but it really is something you need to try to find the money for. I don't like drugs in general, but this is one thing I think is a must do if you live in an area with mosquitos.

clm