Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old April 18th, 2007, 07:51 AM

Unhappy

This is all such fun.. yeah right

Fortunately, my cats who did have the venison as a food option seem fine, as do the small dogs who did eat a tin of the wet venison

I still have the UP kibbles though, being this is a new food i'm kinda stuck and will have to transition onto something else, as it is i am offering the cats wellness indoor since i know they liked it in the past.. my dogs, i'll probably try some canidae since they adore the wet.

I have been going over labels to see who else has RPC and i did find Nutro natural choice complete care adult cat to contain this ingredient however i did not find it in the comparable dog kibble or the max adult, i haven't checked all varieties though and have not yet checked the max cat styles.

I know my bag of solid gold catz n flocken doesn't have it nor does my bag of fromms duck ala veg, and the wellness indoor health doesn't either.. nor does the wet tin of dog chicken & rice canidae.

This is really scary since their are other companies that received this source of contaminated product, so obviously more recalls are coming and more ill pets :sad:

I cannot believe in less than 2mths i have come -this close- to killing all my pets.
Old April 18th, 2007, 03:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by poodletalk View Post
It was just "luck" (I don't know if that's the right word) the tainted wheat glutten wasn't in the humane food chain.

http://wjz.com/business/finance_story_103015618.html

Even if it was we would not get hit as hard as pets as we eat a variety of stuff, it could have be used to make a can of gravy(not the main part of the meal for us and we might use once a week or to form the meatballs in Beef-a-roni so again enough there to affect us unless eating nothing but day after day for every meal, we may feel a touch ill possibly and never associate it to something we ate

If it occured in babyfoods or formulas then there would be huge problems
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown
Old April 20th, 2007, 04:53 AM
Jr.DogOwner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
You right....the company wasn't named before and as far as I know Natural Balance said they got it from a U.S. company. Perhaps they didn't know that the U.S. company imported it from China.

So, now there is four other compnies out there with the same batch of rice protein concentrate. I wonder how long before we find out who they are?
oh my god..the list goes on and on, i really hope it will stop soon! :sad:

by the way, any news on which are the other four companies yet?
Old April 20th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Senior Contributor

I just came back from my animal foodstore, they pulled the whole Natural Balance product line even though two products were effected. The Store Owner doesn't want to take any chances
Old April 20th, 2007, 01:04 PM

Last week I was browsing the dog food aisles and almost picked up a bag of NB Venison to try on my senior dog (just for something different) but I was in a hurry and decided to just go with what I normally buy. My heart goes out to those affected by this.
Old April 20th, 2007, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technodoll View Post
hmmm petfood companies have up to 6 months** to change a bag (or can or box) to reflect what is really inside... so a recipe can change, but the labeling follows later. tricky... and dangerous!! are you SURE your pet isn't eating a dangerous ingredient?

**someone please correct me if I am wrong. i did read this somewhere, just don't have time to find the source right now.
Technodoll according to the dogfoodproject.com pet food companies donot have up to 6 months to change the label. They can use the old bag and put a sticker on top of the old ingredients listing to reflect what's inside now.
Old April 20th, 2007, 08:02 PM

According to the dog food companies, they have 6 months to change the bag. We found out this summer the hard way when a lot of our dogs got sick because of a sudden unmarked change to Solid Gold Wolf King.