Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old February 25th, 2008, 09:25 AM

Dobermans

Anyone have a doberman? We just got our 12 week old male. Any tips on what to do/not to do with this breed would be very helpful. So far he is VERY sweet and cuddly with everyone (we have 5 kids) and likes to play. But, he's very chewy with everything and I want to handle this correctly.
Old February 25th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Senior Contributor

the very best thing you can do, with any breed (not just dobes), is enroll in basic obedience training. all pups are "chewy", just keep them supervised, and provide appropriate puppy chew toys. redirect any chewing to a toy. dobes are a wonderful breed, and from what I've seen, GREAT family dogs. I had the pleasure of owning one for a very brief time, and my fiance grew up with the breed (and loves them!).
Old February 25th, 2008, 02:38 PM

Love, affection, socializing. I have hugged, pet, scratched, a Dobe or two that were pure sweethearts.
I have also came too close to a dude with two of them on chains, both growling and baring their teeth at me. It was also a Dobe that tried to chew a family members tiny-child head off.
I've said this before, any animal can be made nasty, that trait comes from the human end of the leash.
Old February 25th, 2008, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooster View Post
Love, affection, socializing. I have hugged, pet, scratched, a Dobe or two that were pure sweethearts.
I have also came too close to a dude with two of them on chains, both growling and baring their teeth at me. It was also a Dobe that tried to chew a family members tiny-child head off.
I've said this before, any animal can be made nasty, that trait comes from the human end of the leash.
True. Ours is like a baby. He wants up to be cuddled and follows me all around the house. He is loving and playful with the kids. I will be raising him with tons of love, affection, kids and happiness so I believe he will be an awesome Dobe.
Old February 25th, 2008, 05:17 PM

I had 4 dobermans way back among other breeds. But this is MY opinion, i find the Dobe, you cant get any better than that. Right now i have a GSDog but the doberman is like hmmmm how can i discribe them, like human...when you talk to them its like they are looking at you and listening to every single words. Its so hard to explain. They never bark for anything like the GS or others, never growls unless there is something wrong. One thing about Dobes you should NEVER forget. Never give them an inch cause they will take a foot. They are extremely easy to train. Start at a very young age like 2 months. Again my opinion, from what I see and saw example the difference with GSD and dobe is that the Dobe will see what is happening around them before barking or growling or attacking. A very well known Vet in Anjou Quebec, Dr. Roy whom was well knonw for ear trimming for all shows use to say the same thing that a Dobe will be on their guards and wait before doing any action. As for the GS as he said will just go. And you know what we had 2 GS when i was younger K9 and yes it was so true. Dont get me wrong nothing is wrong with GS just that make sure your there beside him if there is anything wrong. Dont need to bring a Dobe to attacking school cause they already have it in their blood. Just make sure they know all their commands and you will have a fantastic dog. A friend of mind had hers for 17yrs. But like all dogs it boils down mostly like they mentioned in the threads its who is at the other end of the leash. Never tie a Dob on a chain. They truely dont need that. Or any dog. But dobs dont. My son when he was a baby which he came after the dob never had any problems with the dob. As he grew he use to jump on the dog and pull his ears and all. No once did the dog growl or whatever. They are beautiful and proud dogs with brains. Hmmm I think I miss my dobs...does it show? LOL

dont forget...dont give them an inch or they take a foot...stay firm!!!
Old February 25th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Swift Tribe

while i agree with most of that GSDog, i have to disagree with the attacking part. if anything they just pay more attention to their companions and decide from there. my granddads Jillian is a smart although snotty at times (he has to carry a stick for walks or she trips him!! and he is looking 80 years in the eye!!!) and she is just another example of her breed. no attacking unless granddad gets upset though. ive never ever seen her loose her cool but you never mistaken her ability to protect her pack. she is a clever one.

they are wonderful family dogs!!! my family has been breeding 'family dobermans' for 3 human generations now. my gramps would throw a litter when there was room enough in his kids families for them. sadly our last female just turned 6 and is far too old to breed. all of our males are dead(old age) or fixed so little Miss Jillian is the last of the line.

our pups have always been amazing family dogs. lithe and intelligent, very very smart dogs. please enroll in puppy training classes!!! learn to puff up your chest and be the head of your house hold cause GSDog is oh so right about giving inches and they take MILES!!! gramps will get SO!!! mad at her for snatching his toast or untying his shoe laces and he will bang his walking stick on the floor (cause HE doesnt need a cane.... no way!) and shake his finger at her and SCOLD her but she just stays out of his way and SMILES at him!! like its FUNNY to make him mad!!!

anyway, they are great dogs but quite clever and in need of a firm, consistent hand. training classes will help you with that. a good trainer will help you learn how to teach your dog.

ok, im done rambling. thanks for the chance to go on about OUR dogs!! got any pics of yours???

-ashley

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)
Old February 25th, 2008, 09:09 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

As a former owner of a dobe and having worked with many as a groomer, I totally agree with the praises above. You can't ask for a more regal looking animal nor more loyal. If it wasn't for a doberman i would probably be dead today. I was attacked by a shall we say slightly mentally challenged gsd years ago, and the doberman in the next run, climbed the fence to my rescue. I would own one again in a heartbeat.