Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old July 17th, 2004, 02:18 PM

Since Canada ships garbage to our landfills

Maybe we could ship you some of our garbage in the form of Martha Stewart.
LOL I don't know if any of you are Martha fans but -- she has lost huge numbers of supporters since the announcement of her sentence and her grand standing on the court house step and comparing herself to Nelson Mandella.
Personally I think she could server more time than 5 months.
WOODY
Old July 17th, 2004, 03:03 PM
Senior Contributor

I don't know if 5 months would be enough time to redecorate all those cells . . .
Old July 17th, 2004, 03:03 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Absolutely Martha can serve more then a few months Woody, once the child molesters, rapists and drug dealers get higher sentences.

Personally I admire the woman for her strength and I wish her the very best. Calling her garbage doesn't seem like something that would normally come from your mouth, you're usually quite laid back.

We've had threads in here about a lot of low life degenerates that abuse children, murder and such and I'd be more apt to consider them garbage then a lady who did a 30g white collar crime.
Old July 17th, 2004, 04:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Woody,I am sorry,but I too kind of like Martha,sure she kicked butt all through her life to get to where she is,but she is also one smart cookie and she made it big!!
As for cheating over $200.000 which was peanuts for her,yes it was stupid,but if someone whispered in my ear,"your shares in so and so are going to drop",I sure would sell.
There are CEO's with Enron and many other CEO's who have cheated people out of millions,whom I believe are still not in jail.
There are crooks and thieves in our government who will never see the inside of a jail.No,I don't think Martha should go to jail at all,she's lost a lot more than the $200.000 she gained.
Old July 17th, 2004, 05:30 PM
Senior Contributor

The premier of Alberta has been "accused" of dealing in "naughty" stocks and shares, and all he did was deny it, and ... poof....no more accusations!!! HMMMMMM!!!!! Wish he'd do some time!!!

AS for Martha, I could care less either way! I haven't really been following it, so I can't really comment!!!
1 very mean tiger barb (who killed all of our other fish)
3 leopard geckos - Dave, Jenn & Jane (gone back to their original owner)

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
1 house gecko - George (RIP)
2 giant african land snailS - Kaimah (RIP) & Kamau (RIP)
2 baby african land snails - Tiny & Pokey (RIP)
1 Veiled Chameleon - Chip (RIP)
Old July 17th, 2004, 06:29 PM

Martha's Crime

I could really care less about how she treats people, staff etc.
What she was convicted for was lying to federal investigators and that is the reason she is garbage in my eye's.
I have literally no tolerance for liars. Period. As for child mollestors and rapists I don't think they should serve longer sentences- they should be put to death.
I am very much in favor of the death penalty and believe it should be used more, administered quickly and appeals should be limited to no more than 2 years, regardless of the courts schedule. As one person has described their state's (TEXAS) support they have created an express lane.
As for being laid back I am on most subjects but being a federal employee and being extremely supportive of the federal case jury system, lying is unforgivable in my eyes. She commited PERJURY. To most of us that is the absolute bottom of the pit. People who commit perjury have violated all the rules. They are untrustworthy and vile.
Wheee- I sure feel better now.
WOODY
Old July 17th, 2004, 08:22 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Woody you make my eyebrows raise!! LOL
Old July 17th, 2004, 11:38 PM

Rasied eyebrows-a good thing.

As the old song title goes."If you don't stand for something - you will fall for anything".
I am an old fashioned law and order, civil servant who has and still does, from time to time, teach (that's where the "Professor" title comes from) and have also worked in the private sector of criminal justice, investigations etc.
I try to remain calm and low keyed but once in a while the "old me" rushes to the surface and I explode with vim, vigor, vinegar as the Mrs. would say.
I moved out of the big cities into the quiet countryside and enjoy taking care of the farm and rescue animals at the end of every day. But just ever so slightly below the surface of calm is the old me and dicussions about persons who think it is quiet all right to lie, break an oath, etc and especially ICONS who people look up to and attempt to emulate - just fire my boilers.
As for murderers, child molestors, wife beaters, pimps etc.they should not take up space or air on this earth. As one of our military learders said a few years ago (paraphrased)"These people should be brought to judgement and it is our duty to arrange the travel"
So if eyebrows raise I will consider that a good sign that at least people are listening-even if not agreeing.
Woody
Old July 18th, 2004, 01:11 PM

Well, having known someone who spent over 20 years in prison for a crime they didn't commit and were eventually acquitted of....I'm not a fan of the death penalty for obvious reasons. Neither are they...

As for Martha, she should be thankfull that she got the minimum sentence for her crime. Had she not been who she is she'd be doing years instead of months. I couldn't care less how many lines of bedding she has on the markets, or how many books she has out there. She still has to be held responsible for what she did. And as for comparing herself to Mandela, she has permanantly stained herself in my eyes. I hope that a little time in the US prison system will open her eyes up a little bit and she might end up a little more humble at the end of the day.
Old July 18th, 2004, 04:07 PM
Senior Contributor

I did not hear her comparing herself to Mandela,I agree that is almost sacrilegious.
Sure if you are rich and famous,you can get away with murder,as Simpson did,but that is just a fact of life...it's them and then there are us
To be absolutely honest,I don't really care what Martha Stewart does or doesn't do,I do like her Chow-Chows and cats
Also Woody,it certainly was not our choice to dump our garbage in your state,but someone was greedy for the money and took our garbage.
Old July 18th, 2004, 04:25 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Garbage shipping, hey they even float it out to sea and now want to ship it to space....never ends. Stupid humans!
Old July 18th, 2004, 04:58 PM
Senior Contributor

I know that inside trading and white collar crime seem victimless and lots feel it wasn't so bad. But so many retirees have lost their life savings and retirement incomes because of just this very thing. Not a victimless crime!
Old July 19th, 2004, 06:44 AM
Senior Contributor

I like Martha Sterwarts shows and lines of merchandise I think someone has made an example of martha because she is a woman in a mans world there have been men all over the world doing what she did to get rich for ages and I think someone was jealous of that fact. But that aside you did the crime you do the time.......... However I'm not a big fan of the death penalty for the exact reason that Bill and Bob mentioned, I believe that the facts would have to be very obvious and there would have to be absolutly no mistake that , that paticular person was 100 % guilty before I would be ok with the death penalty..........Like Karla and Bernardo.......no mistake there they should fry for what they did no mistake about it!!!!!!
Old July 19th, 2004, 10:28 AM
Senior Contributor

Yeah, some crimes are so horrible and vicious that only the death penalty seems to fit. Cases where the proof is indesputable, they've been caught in the act and even admit it, sometimes bragged, and yet, get off on a technicality. I could believe in "cruel and unusual punishment"!
Old July 19th, 2004, 11:26 AM
Senior Contributor

Martha! I'm sorry, but I find this very humourous!!! The pretty little housemaker, is really just a bad bad girl!! I love it. She has a bad side just like the rest of us. She got caught and tried to deny it and everyday that she is sitting in the jail house watching her show on tv she will be raking in MILLIONS! There are so many people that have abaondoned the queen of pastel plaids... BUT there will forever be people buying her stuff! As long as Zellers will carry it. I find it VERY entertaining that Zellers would consider banning the sales of Martha Stewart, but they will sell 50 Cent CDs!!! 50Cent is a known CRACK dealer that has been shot, jailed and released to make millions of dollars "rapping" about his "pitiful life" BOO HOOO! Cry me a friggin river!!!

P.S. Karla and Paul should be killed just the way those poor girls where killed - little tid bit... did you know that Karla's release date is Leslie Mahaffy's birthday? How sick is that!!! edited to add: Can we ship you Karla and Paul, I think they would love to visit ol' sparky!!!
Old July 19th, 2004, 03:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Like Karla and Bernardo.......no mistake there they should fry for what they did no mistake about it!!!!!!
OMG! They should be tortured to death, along with the sleezebag lawyer who concealed evidence that allowed that vile creature, Karla, to get away with what she did.
Old July 21st, 2004, 11:57 AM
Animal Lover!!

On the news this morning, they showed Marth Stewart on Larry King Live, saying she is going to write a book on the "do's and don'ts" of being charges with something, such as How to pick your lawyer, how to act in an interview, what to wear etc... LOL
Talon 7yrs - Male
My Little Chocolate Girl - Solara - ** 10 MONTHS **
Old July 21st, 2004, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyRescue
OMG! They should be tortured to death, along with the sleezebag lawyer who concealed evidence that allowed that vile creature, Karla, to get away with what she did.
Sorry, LR but as a lawyer I have take offence to your accusation that the "sleezebag" lawyer "concealed" evidence.

The reason I take offence to this statement is that, in Canada, lawyers are held to a very high standard. We are a self regulated body that has a very strick code of conduct and ethics. Everytime someone slags a lawyer for shady conduct, it is often not the lawyer's fault, but rather, information not shared by their clients. Also, please remember that we must serve our clients' wishes and follow their instructions. Therefore, if we appear to be unreasonable at times, you have to understand that we are just the mouthpiece for our clients. We can only act on the information and instructions that we are given.

In this particular case, it is my understanding that the lawyer did not know of the tapes (in fact, if my memory serves me correctly it was Bernardo's lawyer who brought them forward after his client told him about them). Karla is VERY smart and wisely struck her deal before the tapes came out. In fact, I have a feeling that the Law Society of Upper Canada may have done an investigation into this.

Michelle
Old July 23rd, 2004, 09:04 AM
Chocolate

I totally agree with Woody's comments...

however, the reason I'm posting is to confirm a statement.

my friend told me Martha's "cell" is actually her own house... that's she's, what's the word, house-bound for the 5 months she's actually "imprisoned"

true or false?
Old July 23rd, 2004, 10:19 AM

Question Martha?

What might I ask does Martha have to do with pets?!!
Old July 23rd, 2004, 10:23 AM
Senior Contributor

Since this is your first post, I guess you didn't realize that you are in the off topic forum!! This is where we discuss everything NOT related to pets!!!!
Old July 23rd, 2004, 10:31 AM

Wink Got Me There!

You're right, I didn't realize. LOL
Old July 23rd, 2004, 10:34 AM
Senior Contributor

No Problem!! Welcome to the board!!! You should start a thread in the General Discussions and tell us about yourself and your babies!!!!
Old July 23rd, 2004, 05:07 PM
Senior Contributor

My understanding is she has to serve 5 mo. in prison and 5 mo. house arrest in her home plus a hefty fine and I think community service.