Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old February 1st, 2004, 03:38 PM

Question Bluetick coonhound training issues

Hi I am a new member here, and one of my dogs is a Bluetick Coonhound, a breed that is bred for hunting. A lot of information out there is regarding that aspect of this breed. I was wondering if there are any other owners of Blueticks out there who have this breed strictly as a family pet. I would be interested on knowing how your overall experience has been. We have had a unique experience with our dog and had a difficult time with teaching certain manners. We are still working on leash pulling. When on leash our dog barks a lot at anyone walking by us and is a very strong puller. Any one out there with a coonhound have any suggestions?
Attached Images

Old February 1st, 2004, 04:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Hounds are not known for ease of training! Don't think I've seen one in obedience trials.

I dont' know a lot about hounds, but I have a dog with a pulling problem too, and I've only recently started to get it under control.

I suggest you get him into an obedience class, with a trainer who understands the breed, if you haven't already. This is also a dog who needs tons of exercise, as you probably know.

If you have any tracking clubs around, I'm sure he would enjoy that greatly,and it would give him a "job" to do.

For the pulling, I suggest a prong collar in conjunction with training.

He's a very beautiful boy!!
Old February 1st, 2004, 04:35 PM
Chocolate

HASHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA

LR is absolutely right!

Chocolate was voted must improved... and although he's a pointer and can point for as long as 5+ min, he can WILL make his own rules and go at his own speed.

they're extremely keen on noise & smell... that's how their attention strays...

& once they're on the trail of something... u've lost the attention completely!

Practice, Practice, PRACTICE

and have fun! I do... it's always great joy seeing them live THeir breed history out before your eyes... hahaha

Old February 1st, 2004, 10:44 PM

Thanks for your replies, I think you're right practice is they key.

At one point I vowed that I didn't care if my dog never got past our front yard, that we would turn around everytime she pulled. The only problem with that is that she really does need the exercise.

Fortunately for us we have a safe off leash area nearby our house for that.

it's nice to know I'm not the only one out there dealing with this.

Thanks and back to practicing!!
Old February 2nd, 2004, 09:26 AM
banned user

OMG what a gorgeous dog you have there!!!!!

Great advise from everyone..but I would like to add...for the pulling try the gentle leader. It's a face harness. Works great!!!!
Old February 2nd, 2004, 10:45 AM

re: gentle leader

We have a response collar (similar to the gentle leader) I used that on her and she really fought it (but didn't hate it because she let me put it on for the reward-her walk) . I guess the reason I don't like it is because she didn't really seem to transfer not pulling when on a regular leash. I just kind of felt it was a method to control her, which was great, but in the end I wanted her to learn not to pull. Also people who saw the big 80 lb dog with the collar on thought it was a muzzle and would avoid us!

I still have the collar though and it works great if we need an immediate fix (like going to the vet etc.).

Right now I am using a nylon choke collar and we have been using the clicker method of reward. I have to say that in an unstimulating environment (like right beside my house) she does fairly well. Our problem seems to be out in public where there are distractions. She really has a huge barking fit and really tries to pull at other dogs and it seems people percieve her as mean towards their dog. In reality she just really wants to see them. Off leash she doesn't appear the same way and doesn't have a problem with other dogs.
Old February 2nd, 2004, 12:06 PM
Senior Contributor

If you want to stick with a collar, I would use a prong and NOT a choke collar. Chokes do just that - "choke" - and can damage a dog's trachea, and really do not stop the pulling.

A prong collar is self-correcting and no yanking is needed.
Old February 2nd, 2004, 12:47 PM

The harness looks like an interesting product I think I might take a look at it thanks.

I have never used a prong collar could anyone point me to a website describing this product and it's advantages.

As for the nylon choke collar- I have from experience realized that fighting by pulling has not worked with this size of dog as really she is very strong. my method has been to reward with the clicker and food reward for walking in the correct position. when she pulls I hold steady and try to redirect her. I am reinforcing the positive and trying to make the bad more neutral by not getting into a tug of war. I am not really using it as a correction for what I don't want. It is just a bit more effective than just her normal collar, because what happens is a consequence of what she has done (pulling), not my directly punishing her like in some traditional training. I am really trying to motivate her to want to walk in an appropriate manner rather than punish.
Old February 2nd, 2004, 03:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Question.

When walking with her,are you teaching the "heel" command?
Old February 2nd, 2004, 03:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Here is a link that might help you.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/woof/tips/tip_08.html

another one

http://www.retrieversetc.com/heel.htm
Old February 2nd, 2004, 06:37 PM
Chocolate

the clicker method is a WONDERFUL idea...

even if u do tire yourself from it and stop using.

pick it up again, u'll be amazing at u'r dog's reaction once u start clicking all over again!!

as for a body harness... I'm not keen on believing these work. when Chocolate was younger, he would walk on his back legs...

meh.

not something I ever wanna go back to.

I choose the Gentle Lead WITHOUT a retractable, ANY DAY for two VERY self-motivating dogs.... lololol

Old June 24th, 2005, 06:22 PM

Very nice cooner you have there.
I'm quite surprised that your dog barks that much. I read, heard and experienced that coonhound are ruther quiet. When they do bark-thats another story. My neighbour was calling my puppy "Monster" based on voice.
I cant get Rocky (my cooner) to bark without a treat now. He barks only when threatened or after treeing one of neibourhoods squarrels or cats.( I have him on the leash and he got no chance at all to get them btw).
One thing he used to do that was a bit noisy was this trademark "Scooby Doo" houl aaa-uuuuuu-UUUUUUUU-uuuuuuu-UUUUUUUUU-uuuuu hehe, when someone left the house. Learn to stop on his own.
Never had a real problem with pulling too. Exept:
when small animals run . You must face it. Coonhound is the master hunter. And its in his blood. I deal with that by telling Rocky to Stop as soon as he lays his eyes on the target. But once a while he gets to chase a bit purely for exercize. If not for my endless patience , I would do pulling most of times. I mean, the beast will not walk by a tree without sniffing and marking it.
I got my Black & Tan Cooner when he was 3 months old. Now hes 11 months. It was an adventure at times but its all considered good times now.
Coonhound are great all around. But their hunting spirit must be always considered when outside.

Attached is my Black & Tan Coonhound Rocky.
Attached Images

Old June 25th, 2005, 01:12 AM
Senior Contributor

Handsome boy you have there.

I see he may have a mix of maybe a Lab??????
Old June 25th, 2005, 07:24 AM

No mix. Its a pic and hes 7 months on them.
He does have a bit short ears and brighter coat. Hes also taller and leaner looking than hes bros and sis.
He was breed by hunter for hunting. Hes mother is long eared, dark coated and lives in etobicoke while hes dad was brought from states and he was tall, brighter and Rocky is like hes daddy. I was told to give him time to really grow, and he still is. 11 months, 100lbs+, and I got to get some new pics.
ps. Sorry for stealing your thread Dee.
Attached Images

Old June 25th, 2005, 09:56 AM
Senior Contributor

Not mixed???

Hmmmm,I have never seen a Black and Tan Coonhound that had that colouring.The ones that I am used to seeing are the ones with the colouring of that of the Rottie/Dobe.Like these ones.And the breed standard is the same for all the Black and Tan Coonhounds.

http://www.fullmooncoonhounds.com/CurrentShowDogs.html
Old June 25th, 2005, 12:43 PM

Like a said, no mix. Hes not show dog. I also had hard time believing and caling him B&T with all the research and stuff saing otherwise. I shall visit hes moms house and check on hes parents.
Thats a show cooner
Attached Images

Old June 25th, 2005, 03:16 PM
banned user

Did you buy the dog as a pure bred Black and Tan coonhound? Cuz if it stated 'pure bred' you have to be able to register him. Is he registered? Were the parents?
If the parents weren't registered, they probably weren't pure, for whatever reason.
Looking at the pic of your dog, versus the standard for Black and Tan's.. i'd say he is a mix as well. BEAUTIFUL and STUNNING but possibly a mix.
Old June 25th, 2005, 04:22 PM

Hes parents are both registered. I dont care about papers for Rocky, but I see that registering would be a good idea to silence the "non believers". .
He was not sold as pure bred, in fact he was not sold at all. I have lost familys best friend of 13 years, Colie Shepard named Atos to natural causes. He was a perfect dog. I got cooner as a gift to fill Atos's shoes.
Ill check it all soon, and let you know.
I also dont understand all the obsesion with mixes here. Is his brighter coat really make him less of a b&t cooner and a that much mixed possible.
I'm sorry if I sounded pure bred crazy myself but thats not the case.
I know that cooners are rare and "undiscovered" as family pets and just wanna see if any one here ownes one. You know to exchange few pointers and stuff.
why Lab anyway? Heard about Redbone Cooners. They would be better pick.
As puppy he was darker but changed since.
Attached Images

Old June 25th, 2005, 04:33 PM
Senior Contributor

I don't think anyone here is obsessed with mixes. We have heard time and time again about people buying "purebred but not registered" dogs for lots of money only to find out that they certainly didn't get a purebred.
Old June 25th, 2005, 04:45 PM
Agility Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee_petlover
Hi I am a new member here, and one of my dogs is a Bluetick Coonhound, a breed that is bred for hunting. I was wondering if there are any other owners of Blueticks out there who have this breed strictly as a family pet. I would be interested on knowing how your overall experience has been. We have had a unique experience with our dog and had a difficult time with teaching certain manners. We are still working on leash pulling. When on leash our dog barks a lot at anyone walking by us and is a very strong puller. Any one out there with a coonhound have any suggestions?
Hi Dee,

While I don't have a coonhound I do own an American Foxhound and I have faced quite a few training challenges as well. There's nothing quite like training a hound !!!

When did you get your Coonhound? How old is she?? If you didn't get her as a young puppy and she came from hunting stock as oppose to showing (or even if you adopted her as on older pup) then I fully understand why you are having problems! I think that once a hound has been exposed to a hunting life (or a life without continuous obedience training) it's virtually impossible to mold them into obedient family pets!

I think your first step is to get yourself enrolled into obedience classes - if your hound is food or toy motivated you will have some success!

Dodger (my foxhound) was quite the puller as well and has only recently (11 months) learned that pulling is not acceptable! I started off with a halti, then just using a buckle collar and the "walk in the opposite direction of your pup until they start watching you and where you are going" - until Dodger FINALLY learned. Like you mentioned, it took awhile just to get down the driveway!! You sound like you are doing everything right - so just keep at it!

Dodger is a pet only, non-hunting dog but he doesn't believe it! He can be trusted off-leash but usually does take the opportunity to hunt (unless we are at the dog park). He hunted a fox throughout the winter but has since moved on to groundhogs, rabbits and deer. Does your hound try to hunt?

I don't think that there is much more anybody can suggest about the pulling and barking at other dogs because it sounds like you are right on track! Perhaps if you could meet up with other dogs, that are calmer and won't be intimidated by your coonhound that would be best. It might help calm your dog down around dogs. If your dog is toy motivated, try tugging with her around dog(s) until she realizes that you are more fun then dogs!

Also teach her the enough/quit command, first without distractions and then gradually increase the distractions. If she doesn't listen around distractions give her the benefit of the doubt and start again with minimal distractions. Eventually though, she will need to take responsibility for her actions, if her barking/pulling persists walk away from the distraction until she realizes that she doesn't get what she wants until she behaves.

I also taught Dodger, the attention command so that he would focus on me instead of distractions. Start applying it in the house, before you giver her food or walk out the door. Then try outside before you cross the street, with toys/food, people and eventually with dogs...it will take a while though!

I think that unless you are committed to an "intense" obedience schedule you won't see too much improvement. But keep in mind that with hounds (and probably most dogs) that less is often more. When your Dodger understands a command, I usually stop practicing and a week or so later I bring it back and Dodger is SO eager to continue!

He loves to track down treats in the house so maybe your hound will enjoy that too. Dodger also has a harness to pull things around with and a backpack to carry stuff in. He is also in obedience and agility training so it gives him lost of mental stimulation! If you can find an enjoyable job for your coonhound, and channel her energy and drive, I'm sure she will become a wonderful-obedient companion!
Sometimes formal obedience is not the best thing for hounds but many do excel at trick training - maybe give that a shot?!?!!

What's your dog's name? I would love to hear more about her - hounds are the best!!!

This is Dodger (almost a year old now!)
Attached Images

Old June 25th, 2005, 08:45 PM
banned user

I didn't say lab mix myself, I have difficulty identfying what are in mixed breed dogs. i can name alot of breeds, but when it comes to whats in a mix, its hard.
I didn't say he for sure was a mix, I said possibly, as he seems quite light colored to be a black and tan coonhound. You must admit look at your own pictures, he IS quite light colored for the breed.

It is rare to find a pure bred dog on this website, as most the people here are rescuers, who take in mixes from pounds all thet ime. The other thing, already mentioned, is that we have heard of ppl being told their animal is pure, and it turns out not to be pure.
Many on this website will state that any dogs that come from a reputable breeder, the breeder will register the dog before relasing to the new owner. The fact that he has not been registered, sets off alarms that he might not be pure.

Its not important if he is pure or not, you love him, and he is beautiful.
Old June 26th, 2005, 12:45 PM
Senior Contributor

The link from the reputable breeder was me showing the colouring of a B/T Coonhound.Yes the pics are of show dogs.But guess what,show or not show,that's what a PB B/T Coonhound looks like.Even a "pet".I have been a member of the CKC for MANY years now.So I know what a PB looks like.And I am sorry to say,yours is not.

I have a PB GSD.He comes from Ch/Titled lines.He is not a Show dog.But guess what,he still looks like a PB.His colouring is no different.

Check out this link.This will prove my point.These are NOT show dogs.These are "pets"..Notice they still have the same colouring as a show dog?Now remember some of these are mixes.

http://coonhound.100megsdns.com/Happy/Happy.htm
Old June 26th, 2005, 02:18 PM
Agility Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syxtus
Hes parents are both registered. I dont care about papers for Rocky, but I see that registering would be a good idea to silence the "non believers". .
I also dont understand all the obsesion with mixes here. Is his brighter coat really make him less of a b&t cooner and a that much mixed possible.
I'm sorry if I sounded pure bred crazy myself but thats not the case.
I know that cooners are rare and "undiscovered" as family pets and just wanna see if any one here ownes one. You know to exchange few pointers and stuff.
why Lab anyway? Heard about Redbone Cooners. They would be better pick.
As puppy he was darker but changed since.
I can understand why people think your coonhound is a mix. Aside from the colour, his ears do look too short for ANY coonhound (including a redbone). I don't think anybody is purebred crazy, it was just an observation.

In any case, breeding doesn't matter at all. Your coonhound stills looks and I'm sure behaves like a hound!

Does he hunt?

Melissa
Old June 27th, 2005, 05:53 PM

Go ahead and add on another Coonhound owner on that list. I pick up my beautiful redbone pup on July 11th and I honestly can't wait. As for the training, I've heard its pretty tough, mostly because they get distracted quite easily. I would think giving him a job might help out a bit since it would put her in more of a 'natural' state.

As for your dog being a purebread; From what I've seen from B&T's, I would guess he has a mix of Possibly redbone or even lab (Short ears on him). The black coat makes me think Redbone as that was a trait that MOST redbones had in the past, but breeders have since eliminated it through selective breeding. In your defense though, I have heard that coonhounds are quite notorious for being different from the breed standard. I think part of the reason it took so long for the AKC to recognize them is becuase there are purebred coonhounds which can look nothing like they are 'supposed' to.

Whatever he is, he looks like a keeper!

~
Old June 28th, 2005, 12:31 PM

This is quote from topic about long haired GSD:
"Are white German Shepherds AKC (American Kennel Club) or CKC (Canadian Kennel Club) registerable? Yes. If both of the parents (regardless of color) are registered with the AKC or CKC as German Shepherds, then any resulting puppy would be fully registerable as a German Shepherd Dog . While the white dogs can no longer compete in the breed (conformation) ring in AKC or CKC, they are fully eligible to compete in any and all performance events sponsored by either registry. Neither AKC nor CKC restrict registration of a German Shepherd Dog based on its color."
and
"Color does not affect the dog's physical structure, personality, temperament or trainability"
Now is case of cooners judged differently?
by this standards: http://www.akc.org/breeds/black_tan_coonhound/index.cfm
my dog gets penalized in 2 fields only , but a lot in both. Way too much tan colour, and ears too short. Hes also already bigger than ideal but proportions are there.
"The characteristics and courage of the Coonhound also make him proficient on the hunt for deer, bear, mountain lion and other big game."-thats what Rocky was bred for. Not for the colour, but for the size and strenth. As I said, by hunters for hunting.
@ Taket
Congrats. You will be amazed what they can do when you dont look .
Attached 2 brothers
Attached Images

Old October 7th, 2006, 11:48 AM

adopted a RedBone

We own a RedBone Coonhound (that is what we were told but we don't know any history of her parents). But I do believe it when I read about the breed and see the similarities in her own behaviour.

And yes she is often mistaken for a Lab cross or even a Rhodesian Ridgeback without the Ridge.

We adopted her about six months ago and the rescue agency guessed her age at 1 1/2 - 2 years. She's really beautiful but boy oh boy what a handful.

I was reading this post to get some advice on training her as we believe that this is the first time she's lived in a house as a family pet. She's come a long way. Yes she likes to pull at times but having a pocket full of treats helps control her when she sees something that she wants to bolt after. The extenda-leash works well for her as she can stop and sniff something and then catch up when I walk past her. It's usually fully extended at all times. It allows her to cover a large area with her nose to the ground without me tugging at her all the time. She is even healing lately which is nice!

She loves off-leash parks and now that we can trust her a bit, I can let her off-leash in other areas. STOP commands works well and she stops in her tracks. I agree when she is in her 'element' she is the most happy and beautiful.

We have a lot of other training issues but I'll post more about that so look for us if interested.

Bye for now,
RedBone Owner.
Attached Images

Old October 7th, 2006, 11:50 AM

She's beautiful! Congrats on the adoption!

Good luck!
Old October 7th, 2006, 05:35 PM
Chocolate

awww, BEAUTIFUL dog!
Old October 11th, 2006, 03:17 AM
-

She is gorgeous.
Old February 18th, 2007, 01:34 AM

This is for all the people with hound problems

Hi Folks.
These dogs are very intelligent animals. All you need to do is spend lots of time with them. They can be a bit stuborn at times, but that is because you are moving to slow. They get bored very quickly with obidience stuff. Hunting is usually the only thing on thier brain. The quikest and most painless way to train your hound is to invest in a quality training collar. I use them and am very satisfied with the results, and regardless to what people say they dont hurt the dog I tried it on my arm before I put it on my hound. These dogs are very loyal companions if you treat them right.