Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old May 17th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

My first trip into Global Pet foods today and I'm impressed.

Haven't had one close enough to me to venture out to one. I've found another food that the cats and dogs love. Natures Variety Instinct. They go snakey for the rabbit formula and really like the duck and the chicken varieties too, canned and dry. It's a miracle. I like giving the dogs and cats lots of variety, I hate sticking to one kibble or canned food, so now I can mix the Orijen, Kirkland and Instinct dry with the Wellness and Instinct canned for the dogs, and the Instinct and Fancy Feast (only other canned the cats like), for the cats.
Anyway, I digress. The only place I could find the Orijen and Wellness before was a place out near where I work. It's not an inexpensive place anymore either, and I don't like the direction they're taking. Pushing away all the customers that made them a success to start with in my opinion.
So this new Global pet foods place goes in near home. I go in there today and they have the Orijen and the Wellness, but no Natures Variety Instinct. So I as the fellow at the counter if they're going to be carrying it someday. He said he'd be happy to carry the brand, asked me which varieties I would like to see, took my phone number and said he would call when they get it in. Now that's what I call customer service. Their prices are cheaper than the place I've been going to as well.

Cindy
Old May 17th, 2008, 10:38 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

I love Global for their customer service and will order stuff for you if they don't carry it.the ones in my area carry the nature's variety
Old May 18th, 2008, 08:23 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Global is where I buy all my cat food from. The owners of the Kingston one are absolutely marvelous.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old May 18th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Senior Contributor

Global is my Plan B for my Fromms for my Eskie. They also carry his Barkery Salmon Snaps. Fromms is hard to find otherwise - I do buy it from his groomer which makes buying it easier and price is same. Global does carry a very big selection of food and it is popular with many people, unlike a few other stores that I will not mention.
Old May 18th, 2008, 10:38 AM
Papa D

make sure you sign up for the rewards program.....buy 10 bags of food and the next is free
Beathoven 7 year old mutt
Maggie 5 year jack russell
Felix 15 year tabby
Ozzie 12 year tabby
Tigger 10 year long hair cat
marley just a pup
sasha grand pup___________________________________________________________
Lettin the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier than puttin it back in.

Most of the stuff people worry about ain't gonna happen anyway.
Old May 20th, 2008, 10:06 AM

Thumbs up

yes. they are a great shop in general.. prices are better than pet valu so it usually makes the trip worthwhile for me based on that alone.
Old May 20th, 2008, 10:20 AM

I shop at Mondou and they support rescue groups, by allowing adoption clinics at their stores. The same goes for Global. Good people for helping abandoned animals.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 06:55 PM
Senior Contributor

So Global called and I went to pick up the food that they had ordered in for me. While I was paying for it I innocently said "if you only carried koi food, all my pet food problems would be solved". He said "what would you like me to carry for you?".
So they're ordering my koi food so I don't have to drive all the way across the city to get it anymore. If you think getting quality dog and cat food can be a challenge, koi food is a whole lot harder. You can get's lots of crappy food, but since these guys only get to eat for 4 or 5 months of the year max, it's important that they get high protein, (and I prefer gluten free) food. Only one place in Ontario carries the stuff I like until now.
I just love this place.

Cindy
Old May 23rd, 2008, 08:13 PM

Aren't they great? They're called Ryans here, same company though. The woman who runs the store right by my house is fantastic, has no problem getting stuff in for me since I'm very picky about what kind of treats and stuff Tommy can have. She started carrying some cookies that I really like for him, and when she was on vacation in the states she found that the ones I like come in a different flavour so she went ahead and ordered some in for us when she got back! Seriously, how can you get better customer service than that?
Old May 23rd, 2008, 08:47 PM
Senior Contributor

i love global out here !!!they help me and have let me put some boxes on the counter to help out our local rescues for global, brenda and the pins.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 10:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Wow, i'd like to send this post to the Global head office... they need to know how great a job they are doing .
and love for my "lost ones" - Misery, Clover & the girls (chickens)
Old May 23rd, 2008, 10:23 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

And then send it to Global's competitors to show them what they need to change! We could end up with some more great stores out there!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 24th, 2008, 12:29 AM
Senior Contributor

I have sent an e:mail to the place I've been going to over over 10 years. They've grown by leaps and bounds, and so have their prices, and their customer service has waned. They've totally forgotten about the people who made them such a success.
I told them of my success with Global and my happiness with their level of customer service and that Global will be getting my 200.00 per week now.

Cindy
Old May 24th, 2008, 08:29 AM
Senior Contributor

I think you might live by me CLM. Is it the one in the Meadowvale Town Centre? A new Global opened up there a few months ago, I went in and thanked them cause I was driving all the way over to the Ryan's at Burnhamthorpe and Mavis.

Now that I've got a dog as well as the 2 cats, I spend well over $100 there a month. I love that place.

I've always found that the customer service at all Global and Ryan's is awesome.

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??

Last edited by Stacer; May 24th, 2008 at 08:53 AM.
Old May 24th, 2008, 03:02 PM

Here's another Global convert. Since moving to the West End I wanted to find a local petfood store. I walked into Global and was greeted by the sweetest pup. The clerk was very helpful.
Old May 24th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Clm,are you talking about Ren's Petdepot,the one store I went to for all my needs,birdseeds,litter,cat-food,corn-on the cob(for squirrels)dogggie-treats etc...if you are,I too have quit going there,after 15 yrs as a customer.
I even got Rocky there from one of the employees about 12yrs ago
Their prices have gone up and service is not what it once was:sad:
I go to Global for the Chicken-soup-for-catlovers-soul,the owner is a wonderful guy,he did not even know me and orders it in for just 3 people.
My cats don't eat much dry food,mostly as treats,so I only go there every 3 months,it does not seem to matter to him.
An absolut great guy!
My cats now eat Wellness no grain and he charges less than Pet-Value,so I'll be going there for that too in the future.
Old May 24th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Senior Contributor

I make the jaunt to Ren's once in a while. I only just started going there about a year ago, so I haven't noticed a change, it's too bad that their service has gone down hill. I've noticed several other Ren's in other cities.

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??
Old May 24th, 2008, 04:41 PM

My husband and I went to Ren's when we had Lucy here and we needed treats, harnesses, collars and leashes for two dogs. They didn't help us, but turned off the lights on us right at closing time - then offered to help us in the dark. I won't go back there. I always use Ryans/Global, and if they can't get me something I either go to Bark and Fitz or order from the Pet Supply House in Guelph. Rens won't see a dime of my money.
Old May 24th, 2008, 08:40 PM
Papa D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommysmom View Post
Aren't they great? They're called Ryans here, same company though. The woman who runs the store right by my house is fantastic, has no problem getting stuff in for me since I'm very picky about what kind of treats and stuff Tommy can have. She started carrying some cookies that I really like for him, and when she was on vacation in the states she found that the ones I like come in a different flavour so she went ahead and ordered some in for us when she got back! Seriously, how can you get better customer service than that?

i shop at walkers and dundas....they are great
Beathoven 7 year old mutt
Maggie 5 year jack russell
Felix 15 year tabby
Ozzie 12 year tabby
Tigger 10 year long hair cat
marley just a pup
sasha grand pup___________________________________________________________
Lettin the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier than puttin it back in.

Most of the stuff people worry about ain't gonna happen anyway.
Old May 24th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacer View Post
I think you might live by me CLM. Is it the one in the Meadowvale Town Centre? Now that I've got a dog as well as the 2 cats, I spend well over $100 there a month. I love that place.

I've always found that the customer service at all Global and Ryan's is awesome.
No, this new store is at Airport Rd and Hwy 7. I live near the Brampton/Mississauga border. Good to hear they're opening up so many new stores.

Cindy
Old May 24th, 2008, 08:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Clm,are you talking about Ren's Petdepot,the one store I went to for all my needs,birdseeds,litter,cat-food,corn-on the cob(for squirrels)dogggie-treats etc...if you are,I too have quit going there,after 15 yrs as a customer.
I even got Rocky there from one of the employees about 12yrs ago
Their prices have gone up and service is not what it once was:sad:
I go to Global for the Chicken-soup-for-catlovers-soul,the owner is a wonderful guy,he did not even know me and orders it in for just 3 people.
My cats don't eat much dry food,mostly as treats,so I only go there every 3 months,it does not seem to matter to him.
An absolut great guy!
My cats now eat Wellness no grain and he charges less than Pet-Value,so I'll be going there for that too in the future.
Yes Chico2, I'm talking about Ren's. They used to be a great store, and close to work so I could stop in on my way home. Too bad, but they need to get back to basics.

Cindy
Old May 25th, 2008, 06:20 AM
Senior Contributor

clm,I thought so..
When I started going to Ren's about 15 yrs ago,they were in the old building,I knew everyone by their first name,was greeted by my name.
Always the same familiar staff,the owner and his wife were there often and very helpful.
A girl that worked there,asked me if I wanted a kitten,her sisters barn-cat had kittens,so that's where I got my Rocky.
Then the son took over and things became more"efficient"original staff quit,replaced by minimum-wage students and the turnover in staff is incredible.
Different things went up in price,some things were just discontinued if it was not a big seller.
I still go there to buy a huge bag of corn-on-the cob for my Squirrels,but that's the only thing,it's really sad,but I suppose it's progress
Old May 28th, 2008, 10:17 AM

CLM, I am so happy you like Global, as my Father owns the Ryan's Pet Foods in Burlington on Dundas. They are usually really friendly people that own them. A little sometimes, but really nice people.

Nova - Papillon - SuperStar

Deb
Old May 28th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Senior Contributor

deb,I've only been to one Global and it's in Oakville,but the owner certainly is a wonderful guy,has been very helpful to me
Apparently he hears complaints quiet often from former Ren's Petdepot customers.
Old June 3rd, 2008, 08:35 AM

I went to the one on Queen East in the beaches because they carried Innova. Great little store and they carry all the holistic brands too!
Old June 3rd, 2008, 08:48 AM
Senior Contributor

I also love Ryans/global. They are always friendly and knowledgable. I listen when they speak *L*.

I have been to Rens once and find them rude. They are stores that if you ask for assist..they just point you in the direction with a "it's over there" attidtude. I hate that. You can also be looking for an item and not one person comes up and asks if you need help with anything.

ACO22
Old June 3rd, 2008, 06:15 PM

While sitting down to coffee break today I recommended Global to a nurse who just adopted a kitten. She lives very close to the store and passed by it several times.