Old December 31st, 2007, 11:06 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Smile 2 adoption success stories

I'm so pleased to be posting this on New years Eve. Some good news from the Montreal SPCA. I've been helping to walk these 2 dogs (Nala and Shadow)for months and they have finally been adopted. Yahooooooo!

Here are their stories courtesy of Marie Claude an angel who runs the dog-walking program. Happy new year Nala Shadow and all the pet lovers that will take joy from this story.

A bit about Nala by Marie Claude
"...Six months and 4 days after she arrived at the SPCA, our NALA was finally adopted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAHOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The adoption happened before I got to the SPCA. I was told that she was adopted by 2 women in their 30´s and that one of them wants to become a dog trainer! They have a huge property in the country so Nala will have lots of room to run!!!

Debbie, a wonderful employee and Nathalie, the head of operations, approved the adoption. Nala was so loved that they wanted to make sure she went to the right family! Nathalie will be doing a follow-up to make sure everything is going well!

I have to share something with you. Every year, we have a canine guest at our Christmas brunch and every time, our guest is adopted a few days later!!!!! I did not want to jinks it by telling you ahead of time! But it happened again this year and I am sooooooooooooo thrilled!!!!

Lastly, I want to thank all of you for the wonderful work you did with Nala! We all know what she was like when she 1st arrived at the SPCA!!! She became a wonderfully behaved dog because of the work WE did with her! Thank you soooooo much for contributing to our Nala´s well-being, education and ultimately, to her adoption!"

A bit about Shadow by Marie Claude
Here is the story of Shadow´s adoption. It lasted over an hour so it´s kind of long! You might need a cup of coffee for this one! And I know a few of you will need tissues!

I was walking our pooches in the morning with Camille and around 9:30, I saw a couple of ladies leaving the SPCA as I was coming back with Keisha. One of them opened her arms to give Keisha some lovin´! Andrée, a woman in her 50´s had come to adopt a dog but did not know that adoption hours only opened at noon! Andrée was accompanied by her daughter Dominique.

We got to talking and Andrée told me that she was looking for a dog Keisha´s size (a large one), that loved to be outside cause she loves to take long walks and play with dogs and that she wanted a dog that was easy to walk. So naturally, I had to make a few suggestions of good potential dogs for her! Right away, I thought about Pablo, Shadow, Dagobert and April. I told her a little about all of them and Shadow got her attention. She asked about her color and length of her coat and reacted strongly when I told her she had a medium length black coat! I asked her to please consider an adult dog over a puppy even though I had suggested 2 ´cause they were so wonderful, to which she answered, with big eyes “you don´t even have to tell me!!!””. I knew I liked this lady!!!!!!

Dagobert and April were the next dogs to be walked so I told the ladies to wait so they could meet them. I could see Andrée did not click too much with them. Before the ladies left, I advised them to get an adoption questionnaire so they would be ready to get the adoption process started right away when they came back at noon.

At 12 pm sharp, they were waiting for the gate to open at the reception area as I was coming back with Teddy Bear. As they were gazing at him, I told them he would be a great dog for her too!! I put him back in his cage as they did their tour of the kennel. Two dogs got their attention: Tackel Joe and Shadow. I did not know Tackle Joe so I could not help them very much there…Dominique brought me to Shadow´s cage and asked me about her. I answered: “That´s Shadow! The one I told you about!”. She called her mom over right away! They got so excited!!!!! As we all stood in front of her cage, I was waiting for the comment “oh, she´s 5 years old? That´s too old!” but it never came!!! I liked them even more!!!!!!

I took them to the adoption counter and came back a few minutes later. I had sworn to myself that I would leave at noon that day but I could not leave with this great potential adoption going on!!!!!!! Andrée and Dominique were looking at Shadow´s evaluation and were not so enthusiastic anymore… oh, oh!!! So I told them “why don´t you spend some time with her and so what she is like in person?”. They got excited again! They thought they would have to decide which dog they would adopt right then and there, at the counter! They were so cute!

As the adoption counsellor got ready to go and get Shadow for them, Andrée said “I want YOU to take her out for me!”. OK, boss!!!!! So I did and I handed Shadow over to Andrée. She started petting her and said “she is soooooo soft!!!!”.

I accompanied the girls outside. And I stayed… I could not leave!!!!!!!!!!!! I talked a little bit about basic training with Dominique –who is quite knowledgeable!- while her mom was interacting with Shadow. Naturally, Shadow was all over the place smelling and running! Then she found a ball! Oh boy! She got in SERIOUS play mode, to Andrée´s delight!! They played fetch and catch the ball for quite some time! Andrée made Shadow sit and lay down for the ball. She was so pleased!!!!! Every time Shadow did something, Andrée said “she´s wonderful! That´s what I want in a dog”!!!!! Each time, I felt Shadow was closer to finding her family…

I remember telling Andrée that I was going to leave them alone with Shadow so I would not influence their decision… but I never left! When Dominique started getting cold, I took them to the grooming room, set them up and left. I came back a few minutes later. I had not even opened the glass door yet and Andrée told me “she´s wonderful!” to which I answered “I told you!!”. They were still playing ball with her at that point so I sat down on the floor and we chatted. Check this out: Andrée is a volunteer at a homeless shelter!!!!! I LOVE it!!!!

At one point, Shadow came over to me and kissed me on the mouth. Sweet girl! The 2 girls immediately went “oh my God! She gives kisses!”. So Andrée got down and asked Shadow for a kiss but Shadow wanted Andrée to throw her the ball! I was thinking “Come on, Shadow, give the woman a kiss!!!!!!!!! One kiss could seal the deal!!! Come on, baby!!!!”. And she did. She kissed her. Andrée got up and took Shadow´s leash. As she opened the door, I had to ask “so, are you adopting her?”. They answer was of course “yes!”. YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I took them to the adoption counter and told them I would be back. I came back as they were filling out the papers and the adoption counsellor was giving them information about the health guaranty, sterilization, etc. Andrée was so excited none of the information was registering! Good thing her daughter was there! When the adoption fee was mentioned, Dominique told her mom, “I am getting her for you. She is your birthday present”. Andrée put her hands to her mouth and started crying! She got me, too… How sweet is that?!!!!

The girls were all set at that point and it was past 1 pm. I had left home at 7:15 and had to go! So I told Andrée that I had to get home to my girls. She opened her arms, gave me a big hug and kissed me. She said “Shadow will have a great life, you know”. I answered “I don´t doubt it for a second!”. I gave her and Shadow a kiss and left, crying tears of sheer happiness.

I have Andrée and Dominique´s information and they have mine. We ate keeping in touch. I even got an invitation to go and visit Shadow!!!!!

One of our wonderful dogs found a loving home and an amazing woman found a companion. I am in seventh heaven! Happy endings like Shadow´s and Andrée´s are one of the reasons I volunteer. I wanted to share it with you ´cause I know you feel the same way....."

And here are a couple of Pics - 2 of Nala and One of Shadow
Attached Images

Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old December 31st, 2007, 11:36 AM
Rottie owner and lover

Way to go....A lovely new year story for them both
Old December 31st, 2007, 12:45 PM
-

I can't believe Nala is finally adopted ! I remember sending the petfinder link of her to , I think was Wdawson , but he couldn't adopt her because Nala didn't do well with other dogs (it was in her description) and I kept hearing the spca commercial on 92.5 almost everyday , Nala was still not adopted. Reading this just made my day !!!!
Old December 31st, 2007, 01:10 PM

What wonderful stories! You had me in tears while I was reading Shadow's story and then when I saw the picture.....well, Shadow looks like the first dog I ever owned (named Blackie!)

Thanks to the wonderful people who adopted Nala and Shadow and hopefully they will join pets.ca and give updates!

Don't let someone become a priority in your life when you are just an option in their life.
Old January 2nd, 2008, 10:59 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

That is such great news when a pet finds their forever home.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old January 2nd, 2008, 11:17 AM
Senior Contributor

That Shadow is a nice looking Belgian! Glad to hear she got a great home.