Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old October 16th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Senior Contributor

22 Huskies in Need of Homes, in Alberta

Please read the following and contact if you can be of any help.

http://www.thedoggiedoor.ca/linked/h...%20mission.pdf

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old October 17th, 2009, 01:14 AM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Link locks up my computer if I try to open it.

clm
Old October 17th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Senior Contributor

Sorry CLM. It shouldn't. Maybe because there are pictures on it? Anyway, it's a safe PDF file. But I'll copy and paste in case this is happening to others.

Quote:
The pictures below are examples of a group of 22 huskies (yes, 22) that are in desperate need of new
homes. These dogs belong to a man who lives near High Prairie, Alberta. Apparently, he can no longer
care for them and has offered to surrender them to rescue groups. If they are not claimed, this man will
ask the municipality to shoot them. He is moving away so time is of the essence.
Prairie Animal Rescue Society (PARS) is taking the lead on this rescue, and SCARS is trying to assist,
but we can only accommodate a few of these dogs. We simply don’t have space to foster all 22 – hence
we are sending out this URGENT call for help!
Here’s some information about the dogs. They:
• are Alaskan style which means they are cross bred to make them better sled dogs.
• are friendly (especially with other dogs), and they range in age from 1 to 7 years old (mostly
males).
• have energy levels that range from low to high, depending on age.
• are grey and white in colour (most of them)
• have been living outdoors and they will require training. For example, they were taught to pull so
they need time to adjust to leash walking.
If you can foster or adopt one or more of these wonderful dogs, or if you can help with transporting
them, please phone Terra Maclean at PARS (780-536-3868 or cell 780-536-7219) or phone SCARS at
780-466-SCAR (7227).

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old October 17th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Bailey how accurate is the info on the link? The reason I ask is that when you read about these poor dogs it indicates that this needs to be dealt with before August 4, 09. Seeing we are way past the date is there still hope for these pups?

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old October 17th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
Bailey how accurate is the info on the link? The reason I ask is that when you read about these poor dogs it indicates that this needs to be dealt with before August 4, 09. Seeing we are way past the date is there still hope for these pups?

Cindy
Thanks Winston, I should've clarified that initially. The date is not a factor here at this time (that's why I had to edit it out of the info I pasted so as not to incur confusion). According to my contact, there are still six dogs that weren't pulled. Rescues in the area & fosters are full. The huskies that have been pulled need to be placed so they can take the remaining dogs and place them too.

**I should add that the man has now moved and there is no time constraint on the left huskies, however he has made it clear he does not want them for much longer and one of the huskies left is also suspected to need medical care. I'm not sure about any other details.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)

Last edited by Bailey_; October 17th, 2009 at 01:37 PM.
Old October 17th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Has anyone tried the rescues outside your local area? maybe across borders? I was thinking about something similiar here with the Karina dogs? Alot of groups in Canada took Katrina dogs in across the border? perhaps someother location can help out and transport worked out? just a thought? anything to get them out of there right?

What about Ontario rescues...there is a Siberian Husky Rescues? Is that the breed of these pups?
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old October 17th, 2009, 01:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Most are Sibs, the others are cross bred. I do believe most of the Sibs were pulled, but still in need of homes or foster families to alleviate space for the rescues.

We haven't yet tried cross borders because the States seems to be in worse shape than Canadian rescues/shelters at this point, with the recent economy downfall. But we're keeping the word out there and networking.

I don't think anyone has considered contacting Eastern rescues, I will pass that info along.

Even if families decide not to adopt but to foster, that would be incredibly helpful for these dogs.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old October 19th, 2009, 03:49 PM

I wish I could offer more help than to just keep an ear out, Ive got a couple friends in BC and Alberta that might know of some way to offer help.

I hope that they all find homes thoughh

shame on the owner though, 22 dogs is alot to just up and not want anymore...
Old October 19th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks Lyrical,

I think the situation is under control now. It was actually over thirty dogs - 24 were successfully removed by August and the rest have now been taken.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)