Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old October 6th, 2009, 09:51 PM

Cat Stomping

I know....I have tons of posts with tons of questions, but somethings gotta give lol.

I really need Bennie to quit stomping the cats, he is kept on the other side of a baby gate from them, and he doesnt push that down, but when the jump it....he tries to eat them. Its not prey drive or anything, he just wants to play it seems, and doesnt know how. He squashes them, and they make horrible noises, and the only way to get him off them is grabbing his scruff, which he hates and I hate doing it. I would try muzzling him, but that wouldnt stop him from crushing them....Im at a loss...I need a trainer, but I called a couple, and its like..alot of money that I just dont have, for 4 hours its 200 dollars...
Old October 6th, 2009, 09:55 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Do you have a room that you can close the door to where the kittens could be? That is the only way you are going to keep them safe from the dog right now. They aren't that big. They will be fine in a room with their litter, toys and something to sleep on/in. If they are only going to be temporarily there they don't need to be getting injured by a lumux of a dog.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old October 6th, 2009, 09:57 PM

Actually its small dogs and cats. Cats he continues to step on when he sees them outside, but not dogs, he doesnt go near dogs he doesnt know. I have noticed that when I am sitting on the floor or kneeling down, he puts his paw on my shoulder as well. I dont *think* he is trying to hump me, I know fur sure he isnt trying to hump the small dogs and cats..
Old October 6th, 2009, 09:59 PM

the itty bitty kitties dont go over Bennies gate so they dont get trampled, but we do have Shadie, and Stray Kitty. Shadie is indoors all the time, Stray Kitty is inside sometimes, and when Bennie is outside Stray Kitty comes over to Bennie to socialize with him (even though he knows that Bennie will step on him :S go figure a masochistic kitty)
Old October 6th, 2009, 10:01 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Oh girl, you have more problems than I can handle. I am getting a headache reading about them all.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old October 6th, 2009, 10:06 PM

I know I dont even WANT cats, we arent supposed to have them here, but....well things are bad in my life, I have tons more problems than the dogs and cats, and I really need to get some of them figured out or something is going to have to go, and I really dont want to have to consider putting anyone anywhere but here, I love my Bennie, but I neeed him to stop stepping on my little doggies, and kitties...Blah, I should have joined a couple forums so that I could spread my questions between all of them and few people would get annoyed with me lol
Old October 6th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Kitty pimp

not annoyed but sympathetic here
i am suprised a cat doesnt bite him bennie needs a pissed off cat a few times .
Old October 6th, 2009, 10:28 PM

Lol, well here is the situation, of the little dogs, 2 are much to scared to react, and one, who did react, had no teeth, then he went missing.

Of the cats...well one is an adoptee, he had no claws when we got him from the shelter, and the other, like I said, seems to be a masochist...

Im honestly not sure what to do here, I am concerned that he will really hurt one of the other animals, and I cant seem to correct his behaviour at all. I have tried showing him that the kitties are nice, that the little dogs are nice, he never used to do it with our pekinese, who we dont have anymore, he played nice with that dog, but he doesnt even TRY with these dogs...somethings going to happen, and Im going to feel like a real moron when it does
Old October 6th, 2009, 10:34 PM

Are shock collars inhumane?
Old October 7th, 2009, 09:29 AM

Lyrical, I feel your pain. Our puppy does something similar to two of our cats. She's just playing but it's too rough. And the cats won't stay away. Seuss goes up to Sunshine and rubs against her knowing she will then try to grab him,drag him by his harness, grooming nibble him, and eventually sit on him when he tries to escape. (that's if no one stops her, we don't usually let it get that far.) Does Bennie know what "no bite" means? i was able to get Sunshine to understand that "no bite" applied to cats as well as people. Start teaching Bennie "no" or "leave it" with something much less tempting than a cat. Maybe a not so favourite toy. and gradually work up to "leave it" with the cat. The one I'm working with Sunshine on, I tell her to sit, and she gets praise, clicks and treats when she sits or lies down near the cats. (Can't chase and get over excited while lying down) Start with little things and work up. Every small improvement is praised. Looking away from the cat when I say her name = praise, actual step away from cat = huge party. Practice with the cats behind the gate. Bennie can't get them there. Don't leave them together unsupervised.
Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-
Old October 7th, 2009, 06:48 PM

I am trying to teach Bennie "no teeth" because he sometime gets excited and nips, and his teeth are big lol, but mostly he doesnt use his teeth on people, and when his mouth is on the cat it LOOKS like he is trying to gum them, because he doesnt actually hurt them with his mouth, but he might, and that would be bad. he is a pain in my tuckus lol. I love him to pieces though lol.

Thanks for the advice I will try that one with Bennie
Old October 8th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Senior Contributor - Expert

This is a simple 'leave it' drill. Once he has learned that the cats have a personal bubble around them, and he calms down, then you can teach him how to be gentle with them.

The cats need to feel that you are protecting them, as you are the one responsible for the harmony in your house. The dog needs to understand that other beings have personal space and he can't just bulldose his way into everyone's space. When he is calm then he is welcome to interact.

Put the leash on the dog - no muzzle, no shock collars needed.

Have someone holding the cat in their lap (cat's head away from the dog -less threatening to the cat and less exciting for the dog) - be very calm and loving with the cat. Approach the cat with the dog on a leash. When the dog gets about 2 feet from the cat stop him with the leash and say 'leave it' in a firm, sharp tone - then go back to a loose leash. You could even stomp a foot (at the same time that you stop him with the leash) between the dog and the cat to throw energy at the dog, then step back so you are not playing goalie between them. If the dog lunges for the cat repeat the same actions. He might challenge you 3-5 times but then he should comply. If he doesn't then just walk away from the cat and take the dog with you. But you have to go right back to the cat and start again. The point is the dog doesn't get to be near the cat with bad manners, so if he can't contain himself at a 2 foot distance then he will be taken away from the thing he wants most (the cat).

As he is able to be calm at 2 feet from the cat then you can get closer - 1 foot, 6 inches, nose on the cat. But no feet pawing at the cat, if he tries to paw at the cat then he gets a verbal correction and taken away from the cat.

Typically a calm cat will help the dog to stay calm. When he is close enough to sniff the cat - use the word 'gentle' a very soothing tone. The dog will often sniff the cat's bottom a few times, maybe investigate the body and then walk away. When the cat is a 'non-event' then the dog quickly gets bored and moves on to something better.

This is the first step in teaching your dog how to 'leave it' with the cat but you need to practice 'leave it' with lots of things to help him have better impulse control over all. Your goal is that when you see the dog even thinking about approaching the cat he should listen to just your words and you will not have to use a leash anymore.
Dog Training the Way Nature Intended
Old October 8th, 2009, 04:57 PM

So, I took Bennie for a nice.....slow walk lol, I was trying to train him "come here" which seems to be going well.

I gave in, treats help alot, it gets his attention and he comes right to me and sits in front of me, like I want him to. I am pretty happy with him actually, the walk was slow and a little jumpy, but all in all it went well.

The cat outside is a taunter, and runs up to Ben and runs away, which I could probably do without, but I made him sit, and put his attention on me, instead of the cat, which is better than a normal cat encounter.

His fear of cars seems to be less as well. He doesnt drag me away from them, but sits like I originally trained him to.
Old October 8th, 2009, 05:06 PM
Kitty pimp

there you go!!! good job for both of you
Old October 8th, 2009, 05:14 PM

it got slightly frustrating though, but I held my ground with him this time. Im so proud of him lol
Old October 10th, 2009, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyrical44 View Post
I know....I have tons of posts with tons of questions, but somethings gotta give lol.

I really need Bennie to quit stomping the cats, he is kept on the other side of a baby gate from them, and he doesnt push that down, but when the jump it....he tries to eat them. Its not prey drive or anything, he just wants to play it seems, and doesnt know how. He squashes them, and they make horrible noises, and the only way to get him off them is grabbing his scruff, which he hates and I hate doing it. I would try muzzling him, but that wouldnt stop him from crushing them....Im at a loss...I need a trainer, but I called a couple, and its like..alot of money that I just dont have, for 4 hours its 200 dollars...
Cut a hole on the baby gate big enough for the cat to run through and not jump over. My dog just lays down once she chases the cats though the hole. Then the cats just lay down out of reach of the dog. One of them Alice even teases the dog by going on the closest step to the gate and stretches and rolls around.
Old October 10th, 2009, 05:07 PM

The problem with that is that Bennie isnt in the slightest amount gentle, and the stray cat we have been taking care of seems to enjoy the abuse, because he will lie there and LET Bennie chew and stomp him, aside from the fact that I still have 2 very ittie bittie kitties I would rather he didnt crush....I need I think to work first on his "leave it" and then try it with the cats. Thanks though, for the advice
Old October 10th, 2009, 10:56 PM
Doggie Wench

Are you sure he's "stomping" and "chewing" and not just pawing and mouthing? Our dogs get puppies goobery all the time. Do your cats/other dogs object by yelping/crying? Or do they all, specially the dogs, seem to go back for more? What exactly do those horrible noises they make sound like?