Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old October 14th, 2009, 11:56 AM

Unhappy My dog is so sick...

Hi all...

I have a 5 yr. old lab/shepard...Lily...within the past week I noticed she was starting to look thin. then over this past weekend I really noticed it...I can see her ribs and the bone on the top of her back...so now I'm getting worried. I did take her to the Vet today...she's lost 12 lbs. and is jauntice(sp?) but without blood work he really couldn't say...I just couldn't afford the $110 for bloodwork so he put her on predinose (sp?). He mentioned something about her red blood cells are fighting something. Well when we got home I gave her her 1st 1 1/2 pills with cheese...and shared the crust from my toast...just need to get something in her...well she just vomitted up everything...the size of a dinner plate. I put a call into the vet and they're calling me back...I'm just lost within myself...I can't afford any of this...I'm on comp and my hubby is not working right now...so we're on a tight budget...I feel so horrible so please...don't chew me out...I just need to know what should I do. Maybe go out and get her canned food so its softer for her? I dunno...any suggestions would be great:sad:
Old October 14th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Other than getting some blood tests, I don't know what to tell you. Blood work will at least determine what she's got in order to treat her. Can you work out a payment plan with your vet? Let them know what your financial situation is. I had to do that a couple of weeks ago with my Vlad. I took him in and they were nice enough to wait a few days until I got paid for me to pay them.

Have you tried giving your dog some brown rice with plain chicken? Maybe some bland food will help with tummy issues?

Good luck.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old October 14th, 2009, 12:24 PM

I explained our situation and he said he'd work with me...basically what that means is he'll hold a check...and in the situation we're in I have to make sure I have my mortgage and bills paid...groceries are the least of our wants...we're ok with sandwiches or whatever...but I just can't right now...hubby has interview tomorrow so hopefully something will happen and then I can get blood work. He said that looking at her without doing the bloodwork he was guessing it was something with her red blood cells...and I can't rememeber what he said other than it was fighting something. Tumor? He said he didn't believe so...I just can't stand to see her so depressed and not eating.
Old October 14th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Is there a shelter or vet college near you? You may try calling to see what they charge for blood work. Perhaps it's more reasonable.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old October 14th, 2009, 01:34 PM

Nothing like that around here...but Dr. just called back and said to give her 2 tums and boil a hamburger...so I did and cut in peices and she ate it and now laying down...we'll see if that stays down.
Old October 14th, 2009, 01:54 PM

Hi there,

Im first off sorry to hear about a) your doggie troubles and b) your money troubles. I know what your going through, money wise at least, and I know its really hard to come up with something, from nothing.

I dont know if you have this in your area, but around here we have a MedaCard, or pet health card, that we got when we had some troubles around here, and it payed off our vet bills, and we just pay them back as we can. I am going to do some research and see if I can find something for you
Old October 14th, 2009, 02:06 PM

OMG...that would be wonderful. I can't Thank You enough. To some people they just don't get it...but I can't let her go on like this...she is my baby...even tho she follows me around everywhere and tripped me and broke my ribs...lol...she's my baby...I'm just hoping she'll pull through this. Thanks again and if you need more info please let me know.
Old October 14th, 2009, 02:06 PM

Ok well I cant find it online, so when my mom gets home from work, I will ask her what it was that helped us, and then I will see if I can find out if you have it in your area I hope you do, and they can help you
Old October 14th, 2009, 02:14 PM

http://www.medicard.com/patient_financing.php

ok, so that is the site, and if you go down the page you will see the section for pets. Im not sure if they offer this in your area, however it is something you can ask your vet about. Our vet didnt outright tell us, we had to weedle it out of them, so ask if they offer this AT ALL and then, I might even consult another vet, and just ask if they know anything about it. I really hope this has been helpful, I know what its like to have one of your babies so sick, and worry that there isnt anything you can do.

If you need any more advice, please just send me a message ok?
Old October 14th, 2009, 02:18 PM
You can call me DOG!

Ancientgirl is right with the bland food. The other thing you can give her is boil a cup of water and mix in two chicken bouillon. Stir until desolved then add a cup of cold water and maybe a couple ice cubes to cool it down. Then let Lily drink it.

It will give her electrolytes and a little more strength. So sorry to hear of your situation and sending you 's and 's

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old October 16th, 2009, 03:12 PM

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=50908

Have you read this post?
Old October 16th, 2009, 07:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Just wanted to add my condolances about your dog! Keep us posted.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old October 17th, 2009, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoeZ View Post
Hi all...

I have a 5 yr. old lab/shepard...Lily...within the past week I noticed she was starting to look thin. then over this past weekend I really noticed it...I can see her ribs and the bone on the top of her back...so now I'm getting worried. I did take her to the Vet today...she's lost 12 lbs. and is jauntice(sp?) but without blood work he really couldn't say...I just couldn't afford the $110 for bloodwork so he put her on predinose (sp?). He mentioned something about her red blood cells are fighting something. Well when we got home I gave her her 1st 1 1/2 pills with cheese...and shared the crust from my toast...just need to get something in her...well she just vomitted up everything...the size of a dinner plate. I put a call into the vet and they're calling me back...I'm just lost within myself...I can't afford any of this...I'm on comp and my hubby is not working right now...so we're on a tight budget...I feel so horrible so please...don't chew me out...I just need to know what should I do. Maybe go out and get her canned food so its softer for her? I dunno...any suggestions would be great:sad:
Have you tried looking on the United State Humane Society Internet site for finanacial assistance? I am a member and noticed under their "Pets" section there are organizations that will give assistance to those that cannot afford to feed or give medical care to their animals. I know funds are low due to the economy but there was a list of organizations. I dont know what the requirements are to get assistance but if your Vet will not let you make payments you may want to try their site.
http://www.hsus.org

Good luck I hope your baby gets well soon.
Old October 17th, 2009, 07:13 PM

Help for Pets

DoeZ, at the top of this page of threads there is a thread titled "Help for Low Income Pet Owners" by Capt. Jack ( I think thats the name of the poster". It is such a great thread because it lists about five or six organizations that help pet owners that cannot afford to help their companion pets. I have had a lot of vet bills this year (and on disability) and I know how expensive it is so I hope one of these can help you get the tests your baby needs.
Good luck.
Old October 17th, 2009, 07:30 PM
Animals Are My Life <3

I am so sorry to hear that Lily is unwell :sad: Sending healing her way! Hopefully you will be able to find the funds (we have Care Credit in Canada) to figure out what is wrong.
Old October 19th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

I'm sorry your dog is sick.

Unfortunately, the bloodwork is needed to determine what is causing the jaundice. Jaundice can be an indicator of serious liver problems. Perhaps if your vet won't take payments, you can call around to other vets in your area to see if they might? Or perhaps any family members that can lend you the money? I understand that financial difficulties affect our pets as well, but this is not a test that should be put off IMO. I hope that you can find a solution.
Old November 2nd, 2009, 09:13 AM

Thank you all for all your prayers and thoughts for my lily. I'm glad to report that she is doing much better. The Dr. gave her some meds and she took them faithfully and I boiled burger for her and then because she started losing control of her bladder I started her on cottage cheese...all worked. She was passing gas like never before...it was almost embarrasing if I wasn't laughing so hard. She's gained her weight back and her gums are pink again.

I just want to tell you all that this all came about by rawhide. My hubby buys her the big white raw hide bones and this is actually the 2nd time she's gotten sick. Never again will we buy her any rawhide. It was bought from Walmart too. So be very careful with any rawhides.

Thanks again and I'm still looking into those sites.

P.S. I'm also looking for prayers for my son who was deployed today for 400 days. God Bless him and keep him safe.
Old November 2nd, 2009, 09:41 AM
Senior Contributor

*sending prayers up for your son*
Old November 2nd, 2009, 09:59 AM
Senior Contributor

So glad that Lily is doing good and to all soldiers,Canadian or American fighting a war that cannot be won
Old November 2nd, 2009, 10:18 AM
Senior Contributor

DoeZ, good to hear that Lily is doing so much better. My prayers are going out for your son's safety as for all soldiers who are out serving their countries. God speed and safe return to them all.
Old November 6th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

I'm glad Lily is doing better! And yes, rawhide is not a good option for most dogs.

Bless your son for his service, and I pray for his safe return.
Old November 6th, 2009, 06:45 PM

I'm glad Lily is feeling better. And I'll say a prayer for your Son!

One of the things I've done for my animals is to start a savings acct for them. Then if there is an emergency , hopefully, the money is there or most of it anyway. Or even enough to get the vet to do something then take payments. Of course, once things ease up for you. I hope things get easier soon with the job situation. Hugs

Ryan