Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old October 13th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Lyrical44's Avatar
Lyrical44 Lyrical44 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Huntsville, Ontario
Posts: 238
Sounds good, its really just a curiousity thing for me lol. Good luck with the training, I'm having trouble with Bennie and cats at the moment too..
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old October 13th, 2009, 06:00 PM
hunnybunny's Avatar
hunnybunny hunnybunny is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Devon. England.
Posts: 236
Beautiful dog and lovely pics
__________________
'God turns clouds inside out to make fluffy beds for the dogs in dogs heaven,and when they are tired from running around and barking, the dogs find a cloud bed for sleeping, god watches over each one of them and there are no bad dreams'.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old October 14th, 2009, 05:18 PM
MyBirdIsEvil's Avatar
MyBirdIsEvil MyBirdIsEvil is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Missouri
Posts: 1,720
Quote:
it was important for me to learn to alpha roll her and to learn other ways to assert my dominance regularly.
I just noticed this.

I'm not trying to be rude, I just want to point out for the OP's benefit that you should NEVER alpha roll. It's ineffective on most dogs and downright dangerous on an actual wolf hybrid. I would have to assume that if this worked on your own animal she either wasn't a wolf hybrid at all or didn't exhibit the standard wolf characteristics. Actual wolves and hybrids don't tend to respond positively to those kind of methods and are likely to react aggressively.

If a trainer tells you to alpha roll a wolf hybrid (or any dog for the matter, but especially one containing wolf - they haven't been bred for thousands of years to tolerate harsh treatment like normal dogs) I would suggest finding someone else before you get yourself hurt or traumatize your animal. Most dogs exhibit a huge tolerance for certain treatment and will often "get over it" (this doesn't even apply to all dogs) because they've been bred to do so, which is how they can live harmoniously with humans. Wolves and wolf mixes will exhibit the wolf-like characteristic of NOT tolerating negative human behavior to that extent. The animal may actually learn to completely distrust and avoid humans, and at worst exhibit aggression toward them.

One of the sites Luckypenny posted, http://www.wolfpark.org/wolfdogs/guidelines.html is a good place to start out for advice.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old October 14th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Melei'sMom's Avatar
Melei'sMom Melei'sMom is offline
ZooKeeper aka Mom
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Penticton, BC
Posts: 374
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBirdIsEvil View Post
I just noticed this.

I'm not trying to be rude, I just want to point out for the OP's benefit that you should NEVER alpha roll. It's ineffective on most dogs and downright dangerous on an actual wolf hybrid. I would have to assume that if this worked on your own animal she either wasn't a wolf hybrid at all or didn't exhibit the standard wolf characteristics. Actual wolves and hybrids don't tend to respond positively to those kind of methods and are likely to react aggressively.

If a trainer tells you to alpha roll a wolf hybrid (or any dog for the matter, but especially one containing wolf - they haven't been bred for thousands of years to tolerate harsh treatment like normal dogs) I would suggest finding someone else before you get yourself hurt or traumatize your animal. Most dogs exhibit a huge tolerance for certain treatment and will often "get over it" (this doesn't even apply to all dogs) because they've been bred to do so, which is how they can live harmoniously with humans. Wolves and wolf mixes will exhibit the wolf-like characteristic of NOT tolerating negative human behavior to that extent. The animal may actually learn to completely distrust and avoid humans, and at worst exhibit aggression toward them.

One of the sites Luckypenny posted, http://www.wolfpark.org/wolfdogs/guidelines.html is a good place to start out for advice.
I saw this and wondered why you said that so I googled Alpha Roll and guess what! I have never done it and I was under a false impression of what it is. I would like to apologize to the OP and anyone else that I have given inacurate information to about how I controlled Sheba.

When I read what Alpha Rolling really is, my heart plummeted. That is NOT what I did to my dog. I agree that flipping a 180lb dog onto her back when she is acting agressively would be dangerous! and completely stupid!!! My Bad!!!

What I did to Sheba was very different and never when she was acting agressive. I was taught to lean over her and put my wieght on her and allow her to lay down on her side with me on top of her so that I was over her in a dominat postion. it was done when she was calm and was supposed to be just a way to show her that I was the alpha and I just had to be sure my head was always higher then hers.

Other ways I asserted my dominace was things like when it was meal time for her, I was to stand at the counter with her bowl and take something and eat it so she thought I was eating her food first and she got it after I had eaten. (like some crackers or cheerios from behind the bowl). and other things like making sure I went through the door before her and not allowing her to stand with her paws on my shoulders and always winning if we played tug of war by making her drop it when I was ready to quit.

Again...Very Very Sorry for any misunderstandings I might have caused!!
__________________
Women are angels, and when someone breaks our wings . . .
We simply continue to fly . . .On a broomstick.
We are flexible like that.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old October 15th, 2009, 03:04 AM
MyBirdIsEvil's Avatar
MyBirdIsEvil MyBirdIsEvil is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Missouri
Posts: 1,720
I wondered. I have seen your posts for a long time and you never struck me as the type of person that would alpha roll a dog
I just wanted to point it out so if anyone looked it up they wouldn't assume it was an ok thing to do.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old October 25th, 2009, 12:28 AM
end user end user is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 50
Well this is going to be a hard learning experience as she really needs to be outside quite a bit. She hates being in the house and shes shown it on the couch and other things

My work schedule will be changing net week so I'll have time to look into obedience schools in the next two weeks.

She also gets crazy separation anxiety when she thinks everyone has left the house. This is when she take it out on the housewares.

I'm also looking into an outdoor fenced enclosure but these are crazy expensive.

Arek
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old December 3rd, 2009, 11:22 AM
Wolf's Avatar
Wolf Wolf is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 33
HAHAHAHAHA you're gonna love me



The Mother is a white German shepherd. she has a pink nose. the way she stands is unlike a wolf. So in my opinion if there is any wolf. its lower then 25% wolf. Infact i had pictures of the mother with her pups, nursing them.

The father who's name is Wayha, was born in 2006, is an F2 between 80-85% wolf. his wolf is timber and arctic.

The wolf content in your dog is no more then 40%, being an f3, brings it further away from wolf which will also bring the wolf content down. You shouldn't have too much of a problem with this one. The fathers lines: have a nice calm, loving tempermnt, Even if they are shy. they love their owners. Because of how low she is you can train her like a dog. Just remember since the wolf content, and YES there is wolf. She will be very smart, able to unlock doors, gates, climb(you will need at least an 8ft fence) and if you dont have to NEVER tie up.

About the cats. Relax! its not going to kill them when older. Wolves treat other animals that they are raised with part of their pack! If not raised with them.. then yes she may attack them. but why take the chance? Don't let her chance the cats around. thats not nice. wolf or dog.. its not nice for the cats.

I do how ever recommend that you get your girl fixed ASAP. ever hear of WWS?(winter wolf syndrom) even with the small amount of wolf, they may still be able to get it. Its a pain to deal with. and not worth your time. Get her fixed before october of two years old. If you need me to explain myself better, feel free to ask.

Most wolfdogs are wild because the family is UNEDUCATED! They don't have the proper containment, feeding the proper food, and they don't know how to raise one!
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old December 3rd, 2009, 12:30 PM
friend2animals friend2animals is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 124
There is an additional "alpha" technique that may be applied. It is ear-tip biting. Please don't be put off by the "biting". If applied correctly, there should be NO serious pain or injury(blood) - just a reminder of who is boss....
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old December 3rd, 2009, 02:07 PM
Melinda's Avatar
Melinda Melinda is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 5,247
my goodness, the dad looks like the wolves around our end! mom looks like a white gsd but has the body shape of a wolf, beautiful creatures, we have soooo many wolf/dog hybrids around our area, its very common to see, illegal, but still common
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old December 3rd, 2009, 09:25 PM
budgrrl's Avatar
budgrrl budgrrl is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Thunder Bay, ON
Posts: 252
i would also look into rules and regulations in your area...the mnr in ontario bans ownership of wild hybrid dogs as harbouring a wild animal - which is against the law.
in my area, there was an ad in the local paper advertising wolf hybrid puppies for sale...the mom and the pups were seized by the mnr, quarantined, and subjected to dna tests - which the owners got the bill for. in the end, it was determined they were not wolf hybrids (no wolf dna) and were given back to the owners. sadly the people then tried to sell the pups for rather the $500 they were initally asking for wolf hybrid pups, to $800 for mixed breed pups to assist in covering their testing/lodging/and medical fees.

that being said....beautiful dog!!
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old December 4th, 2009, 12:59 AM
Wolf's Avatar
Wolf Wolf is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 33
because of the lines i'm guessing they are from BC, which is where the two parents are from. BC wolfdogs are legal. but i dont know for how long.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old December 4th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Wolf's Avatar
Wolf Wolf is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by friend2animals View Post
There is an additional "alpha" technique that may be applied. It is ear-tip biting. Please don't be put off by the "biting". If applied correctly, there should be NO serious pain or injury(blood) - just a reminder of who is boss....
ear biting kinda works, but better yet, bite the nose.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old December 7th, 2009, 12:27 AM
just_nunu19 just_nunu19 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1
hello, your dog is beautiful. I recently adopted a dog from Prince Rupert. He's said to be GSD/Malamute, but a lot of people think he has wolf gene in it. From your experience with having a wolf-mix dog, what do you think my dog really is?Name:  IMG_0171.jpg
Views: 1028
Size:  98.3 KB
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old December 7th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Wolf's Avatar
Wolf Wolf is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_nunu19 View Post
hello, your dog is beautiful. I recently adopted a dog from Prince Rupert. He's said to be GSD/Malamute, but a lot of people think he has wolf gene in it. From your experience with having a wolf-mix dog, what do you think my dog really is?Attachment 60389
you have one beautiful dog! There are pure bred lines of german shepherds where the last time wolf was bred was less then 100 years ago. (its in their pedigree) so its possible you'res comes from that line. But I don't know much about the lines. just what i've read and been told.

the eye color looks like a very light brown to a yellowish orange. its really hard to say by the eyes but that would be the only reason i can see people saying wolf? but then again german shepherds, husky's, malamutes.. there are ALOT of people who think wolf when they see them. even the PB registered ones.

ears-shepherd
tail-shepherd(the curl of it)
back and nose marking-shepherd
face and bone structre of a shepherd..


i have a hard time seeing malamute. Maybe someone else might be able to?

From my experience, i don't see wolf. but i wont say there isnt' any in it-because you never do know with people.

Like the origional poster, if i didn't know the lines, i would have a very hard time seeing wolf in her also. The last picture posted of her back i can see some. but as i said at most 40%.

IF yours has any wolf. it would be alot less then the other posters. I would say just stick with saying german shepherd mix. if anyone asks if there is wolf. its better to say no then to say yes. even if there is a small possibility/chance that there is. Its better to be safe then sorry.

so straight to details, do i see wolf? no. but that doesn't mean that there isn't.

Last edited by Wolf; December 7th, 2009 at 10:52 AM. Reason: added ?
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old December 8th, 2009, 01:05 AM
lappleton404 lappleton404 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 13
Just wow... They all look gorgeous and love KOKO's pics... She looks scary but guess with 7 cats and not hitting anyone of them... Guess she's so cool...
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old December 12th, 2009, 09:15 PM
MyBirdIsEvil's Avatar
MyBirdIsEvil MyBirdIsEvil is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Missouri
Posts: 1,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_nunu19 View Post
hello, your dog is beautiful. I recently adopted a dog from Prince Rupert. He's said to be GSD/Malamute, but a lot of people think he has wolf gene in it. From your experience with having a wolf-mix dog, what do you think my dog really is?Attachment 60389
The only thing that makes me think wolf are the eyes, but that isn't necessarily an indication as mixed dogs can end up with odd traits.

I disagree with Wolf about your dog looking purebred shepherd though, the face and bone structure don't necessarily indicate pure shepherd to me. Nose is a bit too short and narrow, head a bit too broad. This is just my opinion though since german shepherds can vary considerably depending on breeder, and obviously a dog from a BYB won't necessarily be in standard either. Also, some breeders DO breed shepherds that look more wolf-like, especially from foreign lines. WORKING german shepherds can come out looking a bit odd since they're bred more to excel at certain jobs rather than win in the show ring.
I'd say your dog is either just a german shepherd that's not completely in standard, or a malamute-GSD mix like you were told in the first place.

Just because a lot of people say they see wolf doesn't mean anything. I have people tell me Walnut looks part wolf all the time, and she's a GSD mix, not to mention multicolored like an australian shepherd, so I dunno what some people base their opinions on. A lot of purebred dogs are bred to look kind of wolf-like, and to people that aren't well educated on wolves or haven't seen them up close EVERYTHING that looks vaguely wolf-like to them must have wolf in it. Dogs originally were domesticated from wolves (in fact they're now considered a subspecies), so it's not odd that many would look wolf-like without being bred from one.

Last edited by MyBirdIsEvil; December 12th, 2009 at 09:22 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old December 13th, 2009, 10:05 PM
Wolf's Avatar
Wolf Wolf is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBirdIsEvil View Post
The only thing that makes me think wolf are the eyes, but that isn't necessarily an indication as mixed dogs can end up with odd traits.

I disagree with Wolf about your dog looking purebred shepherd though, the face and bone structure don't necessarily indicate pure shepherd to me. Nose is a bit too short and narrow, head a bit too broad. This is just my opinion though since german shepherds can vary considerably depending on breeder, and obviously a dog from a BYB won't necessarily be in standard either. Also, some breeders DO breed shepherds that look more wolf-like, especially from foreign lines. WORKING german shepherds can come out looking a bit odd since they're bred more to excel at certain jobs rather than win in the show ring.
I'd say your dog is either just a german shepherd that's not completely in standard, or a malamute-GSD mix like you were told in the first place.

Just because a lot of people say they see wolf doesn't mean anything. I have people tell me Walnut looks part wolf all the time, and she's a GSD mix, not to mention multicolored like an australian shepherd, so I dunno what some people base their opinions on. A lot of purebred dogs are bred to look kind of wolf-like, and to people that aren't well educated on wolves or haven't seen them up close EVERYTHING that looks vaguely wolf-like to them must have wolf in it. Dogs originally were domesticated from wolves (in fact they're now considered a subspecies), so it's not odd that many would look wolf-like without being bred from one.
I hope you don't mind but I just wanted to correct you, on the statement that i was calling it a pure bred shepherd.. as I did not say pure shepherd. i simply said i dont see malamute or wolf. but that doesn't mean there isn't any in it. I did say that there are pure bred german shepherd's who's lines have wolf brought in less then 100 years ago. and that it may have been possible that this dog is from those lines.

But chances of that are very slim (those lines are imports)

You are so very correct when people say they see wolf, and it doesn't mean a thing!
The wolfdog world is really messed up. you have people lying, or they believe/uneducated, they tell people their malamute/shepherd/husky mix is 98% wolf. so people believe animals that look like that are part wolf.. because someone said it is... one cannot believe everything you see or hear. is why you need to challenge everything.

Main reason why i think people say their animal is 90 something % wolf or whatever is because its "cool" or they're just uneducated/the breeder lied to them and they dont know any better

(the odd rare case there are some breeders who lie about breeding a wolf to a dog..)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Terms of Use

  • All Bulletin Board Posts are for personal/non-commercial use only.
  • Self-promotion and/or promotion in general is prohibited.
  • Debate is healthy but profane and deliberately rude posts will be deleted.
  • Posters not following the rules will be banned at the Admins' discretion.
  • Read the Full Forum Rules

Forum Details

  • Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
    Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
    vBulletin Optimisation by vB Optimise (Reduced on this page: MySQL 0%).
  • All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:49 PM.