Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old October 7th, 2005, 03:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Go Natural Wild Salmon & Oatmeal

Okay, I'm looking for Prin to give me an opinion, and all others, but Prin and I have a thing going here about food... This food lists ingredients:

Salmon meal, Salmon, Oatmeal, Whole Oats, Canola Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols [Vitamin E], Citric Acid [C] and Rosemary Extract), Oat Fiber, Inulin (FOS), Mannanoligosaccharides (MOS), Yucca Schidigera, Yeast Culture, Vitamin A Acetate, Cholecalciferol [Vit. D3], dl Alpha Tocopherol Acetate [Vit.E], Ferrous sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Zinc Oxide, Ascorbic Acid [Vit.C], Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Copper Sulfate, Copper Proteinate, Managous Oxide, Manganese Proteintate, Riboflavin, Calcium Iodate, Thiamin Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride [Vit.B6], Folid Acid, Biotin, Sodium Selenite, Cobalt Carbonate, Menadione Sodium Bisulphite Complex [source of Vit. K activity], Vitamin B12.

Crude protein min 22%, crude fate min 12%, crude fibre min 3.8, Moisture max 10%. Those are the basics listed.

They list a website as www.petfoodallergies.com that I haven't seen yet. I believe it's by Petcurean,

What do you guys think? 22% protein seems low, but my girls are not overly active really. Halo is 4 and on the small side for a lab (x). Tks.
Old October 7th, 2005, 04:07 PM

If 23% is average, 22 is ok. The ingredients look ok, provided that your doggy isn't allergic to oats too... And that they're ok digesting salmon. I like that it's Salmon meal first, but it might be rich. You'll have to see how they react.

The salmon should be tasty (but smelly for you) and on this food the coat should get super shiny. I think it's ok.
Old October 7th, 2005, 04:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks Prin

Thanks Prin, I was worried about the oatmeal too, but can't say for sure if it will be an issue. This is the next best looking one I could find since I can't get my hands on the Ocean Blue.. :sad: I think I'll try a bag and see how Halo does on it. Shadow is on the Solid Gold Wolf King so I'm going to leave her alone on that for now. Halo tends to react really fast on her foods, so wish us luck.

Don't want other people to think I wouldn't welcome any comments here though. I take everything into consideration. Prin you're the best with all your advice to us with doggy allergies.

Have a good Thanksgiving. I don't have a computer at home so I'm off until next week
Old October 12th, 2005, 11:12 AM
Senior Contributor

Bought a bag

Well I bought a bag of the Go Natural Salmon and Oatmeal. Halo seems to like it well enough (but she normally does). Still too early to tell if it's going to be the food of choice or if the oatmeal with bother her. Her stools are nice and firm right now though, so that seems to be agreeing with her. Will let you know if it goes downhill. Tks Prin.
Old October 12th, 2005, 01:43 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Just watch the expiry date and how you store this food. Because it has Canola oil in it, it has a very limited shelf life. It's best to keep in a dry place, in original bag which you can put inside an airtight plastic tub. Your dog should end up with a fantastic soft coat on this food due to the salmon meal.
Old October 12th, 2005, 03:57 PM

I hope this one does it.
Old October 12th, 2005, 04:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Expiry date

Thanks for the warning on the Expiry Date BMDLuver. I actually didn't look at that (I always forget until I get home normally), but I do trust the place I deal with, however, will check that when I get home tonight. I store my dog food in an airtight plastic container in the back bedroom, so hopefully that's going to be okay. Each bag only lasts me about 3-4 weeks. I hope it helps her coat, it's rather thin due to her allergies. Yeah Prin I've got everything crossed that this will do it. It isn't Ocean Blue, but we'll see...
Old October 15th, 2005, 08:11 AM
Senior Contributor

Please post how it goes.The citric acid is not great,but I hope it works for your dogs.
Old October 17th, 2005, 11:25 AM
Senior Contributor

Still early

It's still early to see how it will go, but I will keep you posted. She does love it, but as I said, Halo likes everything.