Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old April 21st, 2009, 09:59 AM
Senior Contributor

Yes the dog was a gift from Senator Kennedy who owns Porties but does not breed them. And he isn't a puppy but a dog that was returned to the breeder.

I was happy that they didn't go with the other "breed" that was talked about in connection with this. There was a lot of talk about a labradoodle. I'm not an expert but I don't think anyone can guarantee that a labradoodle wouldn't aggravate an allergy.
Old April 21st, 2009, 10:08 AM
Senior Contributor

I just read Bo's half sister was found in Minnesota.

Geez, isn't that just like relatives to come out of the woodwork when you become famous?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/0..._n_189138.html
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old April 21st, 2009, 05:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
But it's not "all for profit"

Ok..but not to sound rude, but you keep telling yourself that. So you mean to tell me that when their dogs go to other homes, what they just give them the dog. No, expecially since they have put so much money into the breed. Now, it is just more money.

ACO22
Old April 21st, 2009, 06:20 PM

I think people are really beating up on Obama as well as breeders here...

first point:
If Bo was passed around from owner to owner so much, he counts as a rescue to me. He's an unwanted dog, same as the poor old mutt that gets handed around when a family member dies and no one wants the animal. Does Bo being purebred make him not count as an unwanted, homeless dog? No. He was technically homeless. Adopting him is the same as adopting the old unwanted mutt, except the family did research and decided this was the dog for them beforehand.

second:

I really don't get why people bash on breeders so much. Well, actually, I do, but all breeders are not bad. A reputable breeder making a profit? I doubt it. Most are lucky enough to break even.

Does it cost money to travel around the country or across borders to get to shows? Heck yes.
Does it cost money to pay for a good hotel that allows animals for a few nights, or even a week? Obviously.
Does it cost money to enter shows? Duh.
Does it cost money to feed the dogs a healthy, quality diet? Yes.
Do you make that much money when you sell a maximum of 10 puppies a year? Yeah, maybe, 5000-10000. But at the same time, you have to test those puppies, feed those puppies, feed that mom, and several other dogs, and with the shows and the this and the that.. Remember guys, it costs maybe a thousand a year to take care of a dog. Multiply that by seven, add some more money for the puppies and their needs, as well as the extra money for feeding a hungry bitch, her vet fees to make sure she's healthy for birth, and all of the money that goes into shows, as well as the time. .

Are all breeders like this? Obviously, no. But you can tell if they are by whether they have high standings dogs and whatnot. We all know the rules to identify a good breeder.
Old April 21st, 2009, 06:22 PM

Off the top of my head I can think of more then a few breeders who GIVE most of there pups away for service and rehome the rest with an adoption fee no greater then any rescue or shelter. IMO it's ignorant to judge an entire group of people based on the actions of a few.
Old April 21st, 2009, 08:34 PM

@ Sujaki
well said. You've raised some excellent points about good breeders.