Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old January 16th, 2012, 01:52 AM

Dogs reaction to others on walks

my 2 year old staffie seems to not get along with any dog male or female but she has lived with both :-s when out on a walk and she see's a dog she trys and drags me over to the other dog or gets low to the ground and walks over very slowly or she will stand still and as stiff as a board im very nervous when taking her out as i dont want her to attack another animal im unsure of what it is she is doing or what she will do given the chance please help
Old January 16th, 2012, 08:05 AM
Senior Contributor

Honestly get some professional help from a dog trainer. It could be trouble. I had a dog like that and it did not end so well.
Old January 17th, 2012, 11:14 AM

Without knowing your dog, and seeing her actions, I can't tell what her actions mean. Until you can get more professional help, start teaching her an acceptable way of reacting to seeing another dog. Does she know commands for "sit" and "down"? If she does start using them whenever you see a dog.
It's important to ask her to sit or down before she starts reacting to the other dog, not when she is so worked up she can't listen. Reward her for remaining calm at a distance, and stay at a distance, walking away from the other dog for now. You want to gradually work up to being closer to other dogs and still have her remain calm, but go slow. I'm talking about staying an entire block away for months if that is what it takes, maybe forever if this is truly aggression.
You also need to remain calm. Dogs are very good at reading body language, and if you are nervous that may be triggering your dog to react, thinking "My person is worried, I need to be prepared for something scary."
Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-
Old January 17th, 2012, 01:30 PM
Senior Contributor

From your description it is impossible to tell what her reaction means. It could just as easily be fear or a hope to find a friend as possible aggression. Since you are unable to determine what her actions mean I agree that you should consult a trainer, one on one or in a class, to help you understand and work with your dog.

I also agree that your reaction could set off your dog. If you are nervous you can make her feel there is something to be afraid of. Fear on her part could prompt defensive reactions that can be misread for aggression. Think of many human sports, "the best defense is a good offense." or perhaps it should be

There is absolutely no reason at all to think that living with both a male dog and a female dog should make your subject dog more or less favourably disposed to strange dogs. She knows they are not the dogs she lives with.