Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old November 6th, 2007, 10:08 PM

She won't go for walks with me any more?

Hi,

My Golden Retriever won't go for a walk with me anymore.
This started to happen about 2 weeks ago when I reached 7.5 months pregnant. She loved to go for walks with me. She'll get in the car with me when I take her on my errands or go to the dog park, she stays closer to me in the house than she ever used to.

My behavior hasn't changed... much. I always took her on lots of errands and walks (2 miles a day). I am very affectionate with her and I've been very aware to not exclude her from all the chaos of getting ready for my first child.

Once I've put her leash and collar on she now won't leave the driveway, even when I've told her off (that was only the once).

I would love to hear of anyone else who has seen or heard of this behavior!

Thanks,

JJ
Old November 6th, 2007, 10:30 PM
-

Maybe she feels you should rest

How old is she ? Is she an older dog ?
Old November 6th, 2007, 11:00 PM

She's onto something if she does.

We got her from an animal shelter just over a year ago, she was just under a year so I guess she's 2 years old.
Old November 7th, 2007, 12:12 AM
Senior Contributor

Wouldn't it be interesting if she sensed you should stay close to home, that your baby might be early.
I really have no idea - not to minimize the problem - how about bribing her with food?
Old November 13th, 2007, 06:11 PM

Unhappy Similar problem

I have a similar problem with my 7mnth old goldie, he starts out fine and then all of a sudden just stops and I can`t move him, mexican stand off! His very 1st walk at 05.30 he was terrified by a huge lorry and turned and ran for home which I allowed instead of continuing with the walk, now all those months down the line I can`t walk him on my own as he`s too strong! When I`m with my husband we only get the odd refusal, I am finding it very distressing as I used to walk our last goldie miles no probs! have tried titbits, not interested, him not me. Help I am at my wits end I just want to enjoy my walks again.
Old November 13th, 2007, 06:44 PM

I've not tried the food, I keep getting cramps/contractions when I walk now so I've not had the opportunity to walk her in the past week.

PURPLE01, I've been in the same situ with our dog. Only when there have been recent fireworks or it's getting dark, she will not walk with me unless she is in a pack.
It wouldn't matter if it was her dad (my husband) as I had to ask a Petsmart employee to walk me to the car as she wouldn't leave the store.

I wouldn't take it personally. It may be that your dog doesn't want to leave with you as perhaps he remembers that he was with you when he got scared.
Perhaps taking him for a walk with your partner or friend 3 or 4 times and getting him to feel sucure in the pack which includes you, then try to walk with him alone. If that doesn't work... urmmm gosh I don't know!

Good Luck!
Old November 14th, 2007, 09:33 AM

BritJJ, I wouldn't be at all surprised if your dog is trying to tell you something. Sometimes, they just "know". I saw an interview on the news a while ago about a dog (I believe it was also a Goldie) who would constantly sniff in his owner's ear, always the same ear, and the owner thought it was cute at first but then started to wonder if it was something more. Turns out he (the owner) had a brain tumour. It was completely operable, because they found it early enough, thanks to the dog's insistent sniffing. Maybe you should put up your feet and let someone else do the walking until after the baby comes.

Purple01, I'm not a professional trainer or anything, but I'm going to say that your dog doesn't feel like you are the leader, that you'll protect him in the event of something scary happening again. Perhaps you should go to obedience classes, so they can help you establish yourself as the leader of your little pack once again, regain his trust.