Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 31st, 2005, 10:40 PM

Unhappy "Swimmer" or Cat with Splay legs

Hi, my name is Patrick and I have a question for anyone who might be able to help. I recently adopted a cat from someone who didn't have the time to take care of it. The cat is a munchkin cat who is 6 weeks old and has splay legs or as the man I got them from called them, "swimmer" legs. I am going to try to help the cat recover instead of just putting it to sleep. I am going to take her to the vet tomorrow and see what they say, but I was wanting to talk to some people throughout this whole process to see what anyone knew. Has anyone out there heard of this condition? Does anyone else out there have a cat with this similar condition and if so, what was their diagnosis and how did they recover? Does anyone have any articles they have found that talk about this? Any replies to my questions would be greatly appreciated. I will keep everyone posted and let you all know what the vet says. Thanks, again.
Old August 1st, 2005, 03:46 AM
Senior Contributor

Many munchkins (and In hate the fact ppl actually breed for a disabiliyu but they do). UIt irks m especially because I suffer from some of the skeletal probs as do munchkins. (Not the short legs part tho - more spinal ones),

Many munchkins have achondroplasia dwarfism and her vertebrae may also be affected (she may have scoliosis and almost certainly lordosis), This will cause her breathing probs later and she will have oseto arthritis as well. Just like dashounds, they can suffer from spinal probs like dysplasia.

There is a little about it on this site. You might consider surgery or teach your cat (with help from a vet) how to move aropund with her legs. Feline phsyiotheraphy if you like. But please get a full vet report so you can help this kitty as best as possible.

http://www.cat-center.com/articles/Achondroplasia

It is suggested Cruckshanks of Harry Potter (or Hermonie fame) is a bow legged (varus is the med term) so the cat;s in good company!

Good luck!!!
Old August 1st, 2005, 07:27 AM
Senior Contributor

I saw this in a Pit-puppy on"Animal Planet"of all places,I am not sure it's the same problem,but this puppies all four legs were splayed,with the help of the caretakers and physio,the puppy recovered completely.
I have no knowledge of Munshkins,but I hope with a little help this little one will be ok.
Please keep us posted!
Old August 1st, 2005, 09:48 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks for trying to help this poor kitty!

I did see one instance of a swimmer kitten being helped by having the front legs splinted and braced into the correct position, but if as Cyberkitten says, this is a deformity of this breed, a lot depends on the cause of the problem I would think.

Others, like the one Chico mentioned, have this happen from being on a smooth hard or slippery surface from birth and never being able to get the legs under them so they do not develop normally.

Please let us know what happens!
Old August 1st, 2005, 10:38 AM
-

Your vet will be able to help, though it may cost you. They can do things to fix the legs or atleast help. She will learn to get along even if they are not fixed.