Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old May 10th, 2010, 10:11 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

350 animals to be euthanized at SPCA York Region Branch

Just saw this on the news. All due to a ringworm outbreak. All animals to be euthanized this week.

clm
Old May 10th, 2010, 10:25 PM
Doggie Wench

But ringworm can be treated and it's not life threatening . That's so terribly sad .
Old May 10th, 2010, 10:27 PM
-

Apparently they've had a severe outbreak for weeks and have been unable to get it under control. I guess because it's easily transfered from animal to human they felt they had no choice. Euthanasia seems like an over the top response though. That's every animal in the York shelter according to the press.
Old May 10th, 2010, 10:40 PM
Senior Contributor

How horrible!

for Ringworm

sheesh, we had a ringworm outbreak when I was in University... heck, I think our whole residence had it, no one even blinked an eye.

NOT FAIR

That's a huge shelter too! OMG
and love for my "lost ones" - Misery, Clover & the girls (chickens)
Old May 11th, 2010, 01:48 AM
Senior Contributor

Cheap lazy ...OMG so many furbabies.....

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old May 11th, 2010, 03:50 AM
Senior Contributor

They should be ashamed of themselves! And out of a job if they're in paid positions. When I worked in a racing stable we had a ringworm epidemic, no big deal, in fact very funny IMO opinion seeing I diagnosed it and the boys argued that it was something else, until one of them got a giant ringworm on his stomach.
Golly, people who adopt from those societies must be animal lovers to do so, are they going to care that the animal would need treatment? Disgraceful!!
Old May 11th, 2010, 03:55 AM
Senior Contributor

ringworm outbreaks on farms were commonplace, it was treated??? I don't understand?
Old May 11th, 2010, 09:31 AM
-

OSPCA to euthanize 350 Animals at York Region Shelter

The York Region shelter is the OSPCA's biggest and most modern.....as shelters go it is a great facility. It shares a building with Provincial HQ.

This is the blurb from the Toronto Star this morning:

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/arti...n-shelter?bn=1

This is not the first time that they have experienced an outbreak of ringworm. In the past they have managed to sanitize the building and re-open a few days later.

Why is management being so pigheaded as to not allow animals to be taken by staff/volunteers/public and treated in their homes is unfathomable.....all that is needed is that a waiver be signed.

I feel so helpless and devastated by this news....this is our local OSPCA, the one I used to volunteer at. I could go on, but won't. I'm just sick to my stomach.
Old May 11th, 2010, 01:56 PM
Senior Contributor

This is so pathetically sad. There just aren't words for it.
Old May 11th, 2010, 05:15 PM
chronically insane.

That is absolutely STTTUPIIDDDDD I know firsthand that ringworm can be a pain in the butt. Honestly, there have been some outbreaks here and there at my shelter and other shelters but even out the animal control facilities they never would euthanize adoptable animals over a ringworm outbreak!!

Jeeeze, just put some anti-fungal cream on the pets and send them home Bleach everything and it dies off eventually. If they need to euthanize that many animals over ringworm I am sure their sanitary practices are in need of updating.

I really never try to blame shelter workers for unpreventable things because obviously this is not an easy job to have, but this is just S T U P I D. If it were something deadly and horribly contagious then yeah, I would understand but it is a fricking MINOR FUNGAL INFECTION

What's next, going to kill everything that has roundworms?

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old May 12th, 2010, 09:42 AM
Senior Contributor

I too am saddend by this as well. Very heartbreaking. I wish they would also stop euthing healthy/temperment sound animals as well for cage space.
Old May 12th, 2010, 10:03 AM

The OSPCA is asking for help from the community. I hope that people step up to the plate.

http://www.yorkregion.com/news/artic...p-save-animals
Old May 12th, 2010, 12:54 PM

[B]COULD WE HAVE HELPED??[/B] -- call me "off the wall" on this suggestion? And pardon, my inexperience, as new to Pets.ca! -- But, had I known of this event, happening today, in Toronto, a week or more back? -- I would have located someone in Government, on screen, and contacted them immedately over my thoughts on the matter.

What would have happened??? if everyone using Pets.ca, had flooded the "higher up's" website, with the same concerns, before the kill? -- Could WE, have made a difference?? --- But, here I sit! Watching a few demonstrators, on the TV newsclip, and listening to the horror of what is taking place! ---- Could WE, out here, have helped, by doing no more, than sending, an e-mail?? --- I'm just giving everyone that cares about animals, something to think about? --- Sometimes, the "word" is "mighter" than the "sword." --- Pat