Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old August 3rd, 2005, 04:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Stuffed in garbage, cat on the mend

I had to add the entire article since it is from a subscriber only newspaper:

Stuffed in garbage, cat on the mend

By Sandra Davis
Telegraph-Journal

Animal protection officers are trying to track down the owner of a thin, scruffy, dirty, white cat that a Saint John couple discovered tied up in a plastic grocery bag.

Jennifer Jung was walking Daisy, her American Eskimo puppy, Saturday when the three-month-old dog began pulling her towards a bag, which was laying at the top of the stairs leading up to the eastern end of Queen Square on Saint John's South End.

As Ms. Jung got closer, she noticed the bag was moving.

"She could see the cat in there," said her husband, Graeme McLaughlin. "She opened it and let it out and it took off, at first. She called it and it eventually came back to her." Mr. McLaughlin fetched cat food and water for the male cat and the trio became fast friends.

"Once we fed her, she followed us home.

"The cat was very, very friendly to us as soon as we showed some caring. He wanted to be held." The couple is shocked that anyone could be so cruel.

"It was pretty sickening It was pretty groggy when she let it out. It's quite a beautiful cat," said Mr. McLaughlin.

The call to pick up the cat was one of several taken by animal protection officer Krista Simmons of the Society of the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

She estimates she received eight telephone calls on the long weekend from apartment building dwellers complaining that their neighbours had left dogs and cats unattended in residences or tied up the backyard for the weekend. She also got complaints about dogs having been left in vehicles.

"I don't know if it was the heat, the long weekend, something in the air. I have no idea," said Ms. Simmons.

Meanwhile, the cat has not stopped purring since being saved.

On Tuesday afternoon, as it lay in the arms of Fairvale Animal Hospital employee Sue Price, it continued to display its contentment, happily snuggling into her shoulder.

"When I picked the cat up, God love it, it was laying there with the couple and purring, almost like it was so happy to be saved," said Ms. Simmons.

"The heat that day was unbearable. It just makes me sick to think someone would do that." Jay Wade, an animal health technician with Fairvale Animal Hospital said the cat was dehydrated when it was brought in and is about two kilograms underweight. It is covered in battle scars, cuts and scabs, which is not unusual for an un-neutered male cat prone to scrapping, he said.

Mr. Wade estimates the cat to be about a year old.

"He's such a happy soul," said Mr. Wade.

Ms. Simmons asks anyone with information about who owns the friendly cat with the big fluffy tail to call her at 333-2082.

(This cutline goes with the attached pict)
(Cindy Wilson/Special to the Telegraph-Journal)
An abandoned white cat hasn’t stopped purring since it arrived at the Fairvale Animal Hospital over the weekend. Here it receives attention from Sue Price Tuesday.
Attached Images

Old August 3rd, 2005, 04:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Should I adopt this Kitty?

One of my best friend's is the spouse of the vet who operates this clinic - she actually used to manage it - and I am thinking if they do not find this kitty's "owner" that I might adopt him.

I actually think owner would be a very loose term if in fact he does belong to a family. He is uneuetred and has many injuries from life on the street.

What do you think?

I am taking a few days off next week - the post traumatic stress (I think watching the pictures and news reports from Dufour set it off) I occasionally cope with due to the various experiences (not pleasant ones) I have had in my work with Les Medecins sans Frontieres and just my work in general (Seeing little ones you invest so much time, love and committment to does take its toll) - is "acting up" and I need a short break. So, I'd have time to be with him and introduce him to YY and the sphynxes.

But at this point I am just thinking out loud. What do you guys think?
Old August 3rd, 2005, 05:01 PM
Senior Contributor

CyberKitten - YES, YES, YES, YES, YES!!

What a sweet looking kitty. Wish I lived closer or I might challenge you for that one! This sweetie needs a loving home and I'm sure you could provide that. Go for it.
Old August 4th, 2005, 09:59 AM

If you can take him, I think you definately should...he looks just beautiful, and is obviously a very sweet cat with a will too live.

What a sad, yet wonderful story....
Old August 4th, 2005, 10:12 AM

This poor little guy looks like he just loves to be loved :love:
CyberKitten, I think it's wonderful that you are thinking of giving this guy a forever home .... he sure deserves a better life than the one he's had so far!!
I wonder if the people that actually found him may be thinking about adopting him as well? I think it would be awfully difficult to walk away from such a loving, purring furball after they've held him in their arms
I would say if you're interested go for it !!!
Keep us posted
Old August 4th, 2005, 11:41 AM
Senior Contributor

Hey Cyber!! Empty your Pm's!!
Old August 4th, 2005, 11:57 AM
Senior Contributor

I just did TM, sorry! I am off to meet with some patients- will check back in a bit!! Sorry!!!!