Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old October 27th, 2004, 09:58 AM

Urinating in houseplant....

can someone please help me? Booger {my cat} has begun peeing in my houseplants. He has done it in two so far. Is there anything that I can do to stop this? He is six months old and he has an appointment to be neutered on November 3rd. I was also wondering if after being neutered whethor or not male cats still "spray"? I appreciate any suggestions and info. Thanks.
Old October 27th, 2004, 10:09 AM
banned user

Spray

Sounds lke hes spraying away..and the houseplant is carrying the scent,so hes gonna continue to do it in the same place, good that he is getting fixed..now for the houseplant,you can either

1.Move it(best idea) so that he doesnt have access to it

2.Spray the plant with something called "dog off" works for cats too and gives out a wicked bad odour offensive to animals

I have had male cats and none of them sprayed or "marked" after being fixed
Old October 27th, 2004, 11:25 AM
Senior Contributor

He is actually squatting and peeing in the plant, or he is standing up, backing up to the pot and firing?? I've never seen a 6 month old kitten spraying, but I guess anything is possible. Cats are naturally attracted to the dirt in large plant pots and enjoy peeing there.

When you take him for his neuter, ask the vet to check and make sure there is no urinary tract infection as well.

In the meantime, crumple up aluminum foil and put it all around the plant, so the soil is completely covered. Cats usually really hate this and it should deter him.

As for spraying after a neuter - usually if they are neutered before they start spraying, they will not spray. Even if neutered AFTER they start, they usually stop. As I said anything is possible, but not one of my many many neutered male cats has ever sprayed following surgery.

Some FEMALE cats will spray but that too is uncommon.
Old October 27th, 2004, 11:29 AM
Senior Contributor

To keep him away from the plant oranges is good. Cats (most cats) HATE citrus smells! I put orange peels in my plant for a while when Connor would chew the leaves.. he won't go near it now...
Old October 27th, 2004, 12:41 PM

I don't think he is spraying. I think he is just peeing in it because there has been mud tracked around the floor and in his fur; so he has obviously been "in" the plant. Thanks for the suggestions; I'll definitely be trying them out to see which one works best.