Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old June 10th, 2013, 05:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Bear Opening Car doors.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/06...n_3398038.html

It take a second for the utube to come on.
Old June 11th, 2013, 09:58 AM
Senior Contributor

So cute, so smart.

Amongst our canoe tripping friends there are two theories of how to treat your food overnight at a campsite. One is to bear-bag it up high suspended on a rope between two trees where the bear cannot get it. The other is to leave it on the ground well away from your tent and your canoe in hopes that the bear will find it and not go looking elsewhere, like your tent and canoe. That way at least you are safe in the tent and still have the canoe to get away in, though you might be awfully hungry.

We always bear-bagged but there was an incident at a campsite just a few nights after we left it where a bear looking for food did rip open a tent with a person it. The person cut his way out the back, rounded up his partner who was in another tent and both fled to the middle of lake in the canoe. They spent a miserable, cold night there. Everything they owned that was not in the canoe was pretty well wrecked. Other canoeists helped them out the next day.

So if the people who owned the truck left the doors open on purpose, perhaps that was wise. Black bears have been known to lift windshields right out of vehicles in search of food.
Old June 11th, 2013, 01:10 PM
Senior Contributor

I did not know bears could lift a whole window shield out a car.
Old June 11th, 2013, 04:47 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

ya I'd be inclined not to lock my car in bear country.
Old June 11th, 2013, 05:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingdog View Post
I did not know bears could lift a whole window shield out a car.
I haven't seen it myself but on the same canoe trip above we got storm stayed for some hours at a camp owned by an outfitting company. The building was pretty new looking and it was absolutely ruined inside. The only things not pushed over, ripped open and yanked right off the walls were a couple of canoes and motors stored up high in open, exposed rafters.

The stove and fridge were knocked over, the kitchen cabinets were off the wall and the counter top with the sink in it was ripped up. There was food scattered all over. The porta-potty was outside and partially eaten. And one whole window, intact and in it's frame, had been lifted right out of the wall and was on the ground as if it had been placed there. Not broken. It was frightening to see and we were awfully glad when the wind let up and we could leave. It was probably the same bear.
Old June 11th, 2013, 06:25 PM
Senior Contributor

I wonder if a person can file an insurance claim as an act of nature when the damages been done by a bear. I once to a wildlife park and all the animals where running all over the park , some monkeys jumped onto my car and started to pull my window wipers off my car and eat the rubber part. I thought that bad , but it not a bad as what you wrote about.