Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Tech talk

Old April 5th, 2009, 10:28 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

VISTA nightmares

My second Dell computer in four years bit the dust last week and I cleaned out my digital camera savings fund to buy a new computer. It has Vista on it. I'm distraught at what I've lost and need some suggestions about where to go from here. (Please keep in mind that going to hell is not an option...I appear to have already landed there ...so that suggestion isn't necessary Also, remember I'm broke now so I can't afford a lot of software. :sad

1. Windows mail is supposed to easily import Outlook Express files. Although I backed my email up religiously when I backed up my last computer, I can't get the contacts and the old email files to import--they just plain aren't recognized. No error messages--just no files imported. Anyone know if there's anything I can do about that?

2. My Ipswitch WS-FTP program is not compatible with Vista. Does Vista have a file transfer protocol of some sort built in that would enable me to upload files to and maintain my website? If it has one, I haven't found it, yet...

3. Any idea why I can't download certain online games anymore, like Sudoku or the Daily Crossword? Haven't been able to download them even though I downloaded the newest versions of both Flash and Java I can't tell if the problem is with the site or with my new software. :sad:

4. I won't even go into how I feel about Vista's photo editors, but if anyone has any suggestions as to how to change where images are imported to (My Pictures in a file stupidly named... ) I'd appreciate it! Seems like Vista tries to do everything for you but I'd rather set it up to do it my way... Yeah, I'm a fussy old bat.

Any suggestions for ease of transition or even for good reading material on Vista would be appreciated. I'd like to be fully functional again by 2010 but I'm not holding out much hope.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Last edited by hazelrunpack; April 5th, 2009 at 04:41 PM.
Old April 5th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Hazel, I feel for you. My laptop came with Vista, and I have to admit it is a huge pain in the butt, but I've sort of grown used to it.

One of Vista's main pains is downloading stuff. It's constantly asking for permission to do so. Did it alert you something was trying to download?

My computer knowledge only goes so far. Doesn't Aslan work with computers? Maybe she can help.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old April 5th, 2009, 01:14 PM

Download XP burn it to a disk and reformat and use that until Windows 7(?) comes out. My BF had vista on his new laptop and only kept it for around a month.
Old April 5th, 2009, 01:36 PM
You can call me DOG!

Hey Hazel--

Poor girl :sad:

Point #2 - I got my FTP from Tuscow (link below) even though I work off of XP, Tuscow does have some freeware that's Vista compatible.

http://www.tucows.com/search.html?se...in&search_lib=

I have a website but it's for a 1974 antique British TR6 car hubby and I are restoring.

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old April 5th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Skylar's Farm

I'm going to put in another vote for downloading XP and re-formatting.
My current Dell was bought last year through my husband's office, they are still able to order "used" models with XP.
Good Luck!
Old April 5th, 2009, 02:21 PM
-

Hazel, as you well know I am "the" computer dummy here but I just wanted to give you some and a whole lot of